Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Cutlass Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Cutlass Series Includes Cutlass Ciera, Cutlass Cruiser, Cutlass Calais, Cutlass Supreme, Custom Cruiser, as well as the GM N-Body subforums.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 10:47 PM   #1
prideisdead
AF Newbie

85 Cutlass supreme. Best setup.Engine tranny?

Hi im a first time poster and a relatively new at building cars so go easy on me.

Im wondering what the best engine tranny combination to swap into a 85 cutlass supreme? I think it has a 305?
Its a auto and want to swap in a standard transmission.

What would be the most aftermarket friendly setup? I dont wanna be searching and searching for parts for the engine ya know?

You might be asking why id picked the cutlass a a base for a build. Reason is it was my uncles last car and he loved it. He died of cancer and its been sitting ever since he died in 2003. And everytime i look at it it reminds me of when he was alive and it would be nice to get his car running again.
prideisdead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:41 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: 85 Cutlass supreme. Best setup.Engine tranny?

Welcome to the forum.

This site is very good for welcoming new members and being very patient and helpful to those who are just starting out in the car hobby.

Unlike some sites, flaming, insults etc are not tolerated here. The mods like nothing better than to ban some offensive jerk who truly deserves it

For your car, I would suggest a small-block Chevy. Most are 350 cubic inch. These engines are extremely popular among hot rodders because they are common, versatile and relatively inexpensive.
New, complete performance Chevy 350 engines can be bought from many different suppliers and in many different levels of power output. Fairly mild engines are relatively inexpensive. As one increases power, the engines get more expensive. Past a certain power point, these engines can get a bit finnicky to drive on the street, they don't idle smoothly and produce little power unless you rev the hell out of them. So, imo, stick with a relatively mild engine. Yuo will find it's nicer to drive.

You probably have a Chevy 305 engine. A 350 is extrenally identical, so it will bolt directly in its place. You will have to use a performance intake manifold, carburetor (often they can be bought bolted in place on the engine).

You will need a performance exhaust system, too. Chances are, a local muffler shop can set you up. You do not necessarily need a true dual exhuast. A big single pipe with a dual-outlet muffler will do.

Usuing a manual transmission will really add to the complexity of this project. Performance automatics are far easier and cheaper to buy and install.

Manual transmissions that can cope with a decent 350 are expensive to buy, especially if you want a 5 or 6 speed. Also, they will require a custom installation. A trans crossmember will have to be fabricated, as will a proper hole in the floor with a shifter boot. You will need to fabricate a clutch pedal and linkage and trim the brake pedal.
Also, you will have to make sure the engine has a pilot bushing at the rear of the crankshaft. Most 350's were built for autos and do not have the bushing.

I suggest to focus on getting the car up and running; possibly with a decent 350, because its an easy swap. But leave the auto transmission in place... possibly get it beeferd up by a transmission shop (chances are, it's a THM 200 R4. )
A manual trans will dramatically increase the cost and complexity of this project, a bad thing if this is your first one.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:56 PM   #3
prideisdead
AF Newbie

wow.. Thanks for the help. Its very much appreciated.
The car does run and all. Just a lil rough around the edges. Im a little surprised these types of cars dont really come with a manual trans. I thought they were very similar to the gran prix and grand nationals body wise. And none of those cars have a manual?
Im not really in a rush to build it. I plan on keeping the engine outside the bay until i have a good stout engine. Maybe just work on a engine until its ready to be thrown in. I gotta find the best 350 that has the best aftermarket parts available.
I guess i dont really need a manual trans. I just figured it would be funner to drive with the manual trans.
Thanks for the tips. much appreciated.
prideisdead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:53 PM   #4
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

I would agree that manual transmissions are more fun. But no, the Grand Prix and Grand National were all automatics.

The North American consumer has been in love with automatic transmissions for more than 60 years. Consumers overwhelmingly choose an auto trans when they have a choice.
They would occasionally opt for manual transmissions in sporty or economy cars, but for more luxury-oriented cars like the Cutlass, GP, GN etc, the manual option was almost never purchased by the consumer. So GM decided to simplify the manufacturing process and place an auto in all mid and high-priced cars.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Cutlass Series