Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 10:50 AM   #16
Xv7vX
AF Regular

TOTALLY, i forgot about OIL!!!!!

OIL EVERYONE, that black strip down the center of the lane is oil!
Your tire, your foot ect can easily slip on that, becareful of oil in parking lots as well and ESPECIALLY at toll booths if you have them in your area. I cant tell you how many times ive sliped on oil at toll booths.

And leather it great as well, i know it may not fit all climates, and i know how hot it gets in the summer, but many companies make mesh jackets with leather protection on the most vital areas of your body.

carguyinok: Thats one story man, for real! I read it twice. Glad to hear you can exhibit that much control over your wheels. I wish everyone was that good, we would all be a little safer.

And i agree it would be nice to see this or a version like it to be posted as sticky.
Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, "VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY," says the Lord. Romans 12:19

"What if the truth is that there is no truth? The only thing i can prove is there is no proof" Reconsider Everything, 311
Xv7vX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 01:47 AM   #17
da_monsta
AF Newbie

may be it is just my personal experience, but i know about my bike and my skill (limit) as if i've been riding for 2 years on the street just by spending a day in a track. It is a very safe controled environment. no traffic nor some idiots changing lane without looking at the mirrors. if you are in So. Cal area, Fast Track Riders has a very good program. for just around $170 you get to ride your bike at the AMA track setup Calif. Seedway. badd asss track! go check your local dealer. Willowsprings has also nice programs. but the track is a fast one. so if you are a new bee, i wouldn't go to this track yet. - Ride Safe -
da_monsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 07:45 PM   #18
girlie97gt
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to girlie97gt Send a message via Yahoo to girlie97gt
I am a new rider of just 2 yrs in.. I do agree with everyone has said.. Except for the riding without a helmet. Also i would like to add to the issue with helmets.. there are many different kinds of helmets made. I personally use full face, Kinda look at this way I take a look at the scull helmets and see what they don't cover then pick up my full face helmet and see what it does cove.. And i'am thankful everytime i get off my bike safe without a scratch. I have dropped my bike but never been down.. and i thank god for that. cause it hurts just dropping it down.. (he he he) but a word of advise to all who do plan on getting there first bike... Start out small and learn the sport. I current have a 2002 kawasaki ninja 500r let me just tell you that has enough power to keep up with all the r1's and ninja 1200's out there.. I know from experince of riding with the "boys". This year i think it is time to trade my girl in.. it is time for someone else to learn the sport on her. Get experince with the small ones first then gradually go up with the power.. Let's just put it this way my boyfriend wants to learn how to ride.. He has big dreams of getting a big bike.. Little does he know that he is starting out on my ninja 500r. The last thing i have to say.. Never Loose respect for the machine in which rides between your legs.. cause once you loose respect for the great beast, is the day you loose respect for life itself
girlie97gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 11:28 AM   #19
Xv7vX
AF Regular

Well said girlie97gt.
Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, "VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY," says the Lord. Romans 12:19

"What if the truth is that there is no truth? The only thing i can prove is there is no proof" Reconsider Everything, 311
Xv7vX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 07:43 PM   #20
Lionsbane
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Lionsbane
Hey I'm 18 and am going to college next year and I am thinkin about getting a bike. I have been lookin at the Kawasaki ninjas and I am pretty sure that is the Bike I want. I was wondering if I should start with a 250 or is a 500 ok to start with. I am a newb when it comes to motorcycles. I have a little KX80 but that is all the experience I have. All of these posts are really great and I thank you all for your advice. I guess what I was wondering is, what qualifies as a good starting bike? How do I know if I'm getting a good deal or not? I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:23 PM   #21
89IROC&RS
AF Fanatic

Re: Advice to new riders.

ok not to be a guy or anything, but do i even need to make a joke about the last two sentences in girli97qt's post??????

but seriously. im a car guy, new to cycles, i repect the views of older, and more experienced riders. however i think that to approach the sport from the point of view that its all buisness and no fun, its not right. also coming from a harly family background, the view on helmets is slightly different. on a sport bike, at speed, in traffic, yes, i totally and completey support the use of full coverage helmets. however they are not always needed, and can in fact, cause fatal injuries, do to skull bounce. laying down a bike, or worse, falling backwards off one, if you hit on the flesh, you get road rash, hit with a helmet, and it can bounce back hard enough to break your neck. i have known three people this has happend to. i do not mean to counter anyone on here, seeing as i do not even own a motorcycle at this point, however i thought it was a point someone should bring up. remember guys, as serious a deal as this sport can be, i think its safe to say that eveyone does it becaue its fun, and you enjoy it. try also to pass that part along to those prepairing to join ya on the road.

Chevrolet Camaro - I enjoy beating the hell out of people

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68052
89IROC&RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 07:44 PM   #22
spinktec
AF Newbie

Rule 12 is gospel!!.

16 years exp.. probably 200,000 bike miles on me.
First street bike: (650 Maxium) Went down at 70mph on Pacific coast highway.. slid across the road then over the cliff. Lucky I landed on a ledge about 25 feet down. Another time hit a patch of black ice and slid into a ditch on a turn. Yet another, fell on my side taking off from a toll booth in the middle of summer (puddles of oil).
Second street bike: (Seca 900) Decide to "see how fast it would go" 140mph on the speedo. As soon as I let off the gas the bike went into speed wobbles. Didn't go down but had to pull the seat out of my rectum when I stopped.
Third bike: (GS1150E) Went down in a parking lot pulling into a parking place. I had too, there was a pickup cutting through the parking space, and I was in a FULL lean. I learned a little something there.
Fourth bike: (FJ1200) Rode it 2 hours to work every day for a year but on this day... Stupid lady in front freaked out when she saw blue lights and locked her brakes. I hit her at 60mph, luckily I went over her car because the Blazer behind me ran over my bike then hit her. Me? Broken Pelvis, complete recovery.
Fifth bike (another FJ1200) Every Sunday I did the "farm road blast" (I like lot of turns). Hit a wet spot and ended up in a recently plowed field. Thought I had control until I hit a small ditch. Threw me and my bike in the air. I walked,the bike needed a subframe tweek and some plastic.
Sixth (VN1500) and Seventh (ZX12R) nothing yet, knock on wood.

I ALWAYS wear all of my equipment, and I'm still riding today because of it. I wouldn't be here otherwise. Rule 12 is gospel!!
spinktec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 02:08 PM   #23
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Sure, riding bikes is all about the fun. But protective gear lets us have all the fun with less worries. Preparation is the key to a long life of biking. Wearing the helmet and correct gear is part of this.
I truly cannot understand why anyone (who is not actually suicidal) would ride without proper gear.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 05:17 PM   #24
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

how about don't buy second hand helmets and spend as much money on a helmet as you think your head is worth
aussieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 09:00 AM   #25
blackbob
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to blackbob Send a message via AIM to blackbob Send a message via MSN to blackbob Send a message via Yahoo to blackbob

Wow,makes me that much more comfertable about getting a bike.

~BB~
blackbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 09:14 AM   #26
Joelb251
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Joelb251

I agree that leather saves! But I also have to note that denim can be just as durable if not more than leather. I went down on a curve, going about 30, wearing helmet, leather, denim jeans, boots, gloves. my 99 shadow went sliding into the crash rail and I slid with it, tumbling the whole way. Needless to say the helmet got scuffed good, my jacket tore to shreds, but my jeans were left unscathed.... Other than bruises on my knee and hip, and stiffness all over, i was uninjured. I would have been alot worse off without gear!
Joelb251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 01:53 PM   #27
PC800Paul
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Advice to new riders.

Wow! What were you wearing? Kevlar jeans? I slipped on a trail while hiking and tore the heck out of the leg and knee of a new pair of jeans. I dropped my CX500 at about 40mph wearing full leathers and only scratched them a little. Perhaps the pavement where you went down was really smooth and you got lucky. Jeans to work a whole lot better than slacks if you commute to work.
Paul in San Jose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelb251
I agree that leather saves! But I also have to note that denim can be just as durable if not more than leather. I went down on a curve, going about 30, wearing helmet, leather, denim jeans, boots, gloves. my 99 shadow went sliding into the crash rail and I slid with it, tumbling the whole way. Needless to say the helmet got scuffed good, my jacket tore to shreds, but my jeans were left unscathed.... Other than bruises on my knee and hip, and stiffness all over, i was uninjured. I would have been alot worse off without gear!
PC800Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 02:34 AM   #28
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

jeans are no substitute for leather. fact is jeans will last 6 feet before they wear though compared to leather which will last 60 feet. how long does it take you to slow down from 50mph with brakes? more than 6 feet, so imagine your shedded ass cheeks in jeans.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:23 AM   #29
cmoubell

hey if you don't want to hurt your bum when you fall just pack some bubble wrap in there. heh heh
Old 10-07-2004, 10:48 AM   #30
gsxygirl
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to gsxygirl

this forum gave me the chills when i read it....its not preventing me from getting a bike, but its going to make me think of everybody i love before i take a ride, and think i may never come home again... iv had a bad close call on the back of my ex bf's bike, he was unexpierienced & he decided to nail it and not give me a heads up..i was barly hangin on for my life at about 135, and he didn't even have the curiosidy to slow down knowin he could feel me slippin off the back...i swear the whole time i knew that was it, that i was goin off the back....i swear i cheated death cause the split second i would have gone off, that same second he hit the brakes cause a car pulled out ahead....