Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Equinox
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #1
75srv180
AF Newbie

Cool ac not so cold anymore!!! hot in Chicago!!!

My 08 Equinox has about 92,000 on it now. Ive noticed that the ac isnt blowing as cold as it used to. I bought one of the "premium" recharge kits with the gauge on it, hooked it up and it was exactly where it was supposed to be! can the refrigerant just not work well after some miles? can I let some out of the low pressure side and re-fill it with new (improved) r134? I didnt want to let any out fearing a drop in pressure would cause damage to the system.
75srv180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:03 AM   #2
Ruley73
AF Enthusiast

Re: ac not so cold anymore!!! hot in Chicago!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75srv180 View Post
My 08 Equinox has about 92,000 on it now. Ive noticed that the ac isnt blowing as cold as it used to. I bought one of the "premium" recharge kits with the gauge on it, hooked it up and it was exactly where it was supposed to be! can the refrigerant just not work well after some miles? can I let some out of the low pressure side and re-fill it with new (improved) r134? I didnt want to let any out fearing a drop in pressure would cause damage to the system.
I bet it is working fine. It is just that hot out. I would recommend using the recirc setting to help cool things down.

Also, keep in mind there are certain situations in which the A/C compressor is temporarily turned off. For example, any time you floor the gas pedal the compressor will be turned off until you let up.

"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!"
- Steve Smith (Red)
Ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75srv180 View Post
Pitch the one hose one gauge so called improved pemium recharge death kit..

As said extra hot weather will cut down on cooling.

What is the output vent tempt?
Old 07-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
Tech II
AF Fanatic

As MT-2500 said, let's find the efficiency of the system......

Make a note of the ambient air temp, and possible humidity in the air.....

Now drive the car on the highway........have a temp probe stuck in one of the registers......

Turn the system to "VENT", no A/C......turn temp lever to full heat......should get at least 140-150F.....

Now turn the lever to full cold.....should get ambient air plus 10F.....if you get these temps, this means the temp door is working......

Now turn the A/C on(not MAX).......temp should drop AT LEAST a minimum of 30F.......so if the air coming out of the vents at full cold with A/C off was 85F, the temp should be 55F or lower.....when temp stabilizes, turn it to MAX and see if the temp drops lower....

Give us your readings from this test......
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote