Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Chevrolet Classics
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 09:50 PM   #1
springturkey
AF Newbie

"Classic" Chevette

Hey guys,
Not sure if my car is really a classic, but it's classical to me. Granddad bought this baby right off the showroom floor. I've got an 82 Chevette with the 1.8L Isuzu Diesel. I had it in the shop a couple of months ago and had new glow plugs installed. When I went to pick it up, it wouldn't start. I noticed that the 'click' that I used to hear when warming the glow plugs was 'clicking' just a second or two after I turned the key to the on position. It used to take a several seconds for me to hear that click, but now its almost immediately after I turn the key on, making me think the glow plugs aren't getting juice long enough to make them heat the fuel to proper ignition temperature. The mechanic said that he checked the glow plug relay before he put plugs in it and that it was putting out like it should. I think he may have shorted it out or something. I'm going to buy a glow plug relay for this engine and try it to see if that remedies the problem.

Question 1: is it possible this may be the problem?

Question 2: will the relay for a 2.2L Isuzu work on this engine?

Question 3: if the 2.2 relay won't fit, where do I find a glow plug relay for this Isuzu 1.8? I have looked everywhere, including eBay and some other sites. Almost had one on eBay but the guy wouldn't respond to my emails, and he took the auction down and it hasn't been up since.

Please, anyone with any knowledge of this problem please respond. I miss my little car and want to get it back on the road.

Thanks,
spring turkey
springturkey is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
chevette , diesel , glow , plug , relay
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Chevrolet Classics