Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 07:50 PM   #1
ZedEx
GO-FIGHT-KILL!

Send a message via AIM to ZedEx
Twin Turbo Swap... READ

Ok... So you have this awesome idea.

"Hey I cant afford a TT, so I'll just buy a TT engine and drop it in!"

... Ok you're not the first. You're actually on a long list of members who post this thread almost religously.

Pertaining to this idea:

-The Non-Turbo transmission WILL bolt right up, with minor modification.
-The gears in the Non-Turbo transmission, however, will not accomidate the 300+bhp of the VG30DETT.
-The EFI Harness will have to be replaced, or rewired.
-The ECU will have to be replaced, or retuned.
-The rear end will have to be replaced, the gears are different. Unless you're looking for extremely quick gears, if you're a drag racer, this might be a good idea. If you're looking for top speed, and longer gears, the TT rear differential is where it's at!

(Information from Broke as ****, thanks)

The TT rear end has 3.692 (The R230V differential) gears and the NA has 4.083 (The R200V).

You don't really have to swap the rear ends, the NA is just as stout as TT, just with a different ring gear. Both had VLSDs stock. All you need, I am told, to switch the rears is the differential and the speed sensor off an NA.

As a side note: I've never heard that the NA 5spd trans weren't as good as the TTs but the few NAs, all 5 spds, I've driven did have a sloppier feel to them where as my TTs felt very firm and solid so...I guess I'll check on that. However, there is only one code through out the entire line for the 5spd trans (RS5R30A) but there is two codes for the AT.

RE4R03A for the TT AT
RE4R01A for the NA AT

-The TT Radiator is skinnier to accomidate for the boost piping
-You need the boost piping, intercoolers, exhaust etc etc.

So as you can see... It's not EASY.

Ok, so scenario Number 2... Why not just bolt the Exhaust Manifolds and Turbos on.

Pertaining to this idea:

-VG30DETT's Compression Ratio is 8.5:1, to accomidate for boost, the VG30DE's (Non-Turbo) Compression Ratio is 10.5:1... If you try to boost the VG30DE on stock Twin Turbo Fuel/Timing Map, you're asking for trouble... This CAN be done with customized tuning, AEM EMS, S-AFC, etc. But the VG30DE isn't built to take boost, problems will occur eventually.

... Ok, scenario Number 3... Twin Turbo Front Clip from Japan.

Pertaining to this idea:

-This is most practical for the swap, you have everything you need, and it would be a lot easier than swapping internals, changing mounts, etc.
-It would be cheaper... Unless of course you are VERY mechanically inclined. But for the average bear, the clip would be best.

Prices are as follows (Respectively):

-Twin Turbo JDM Clip 5-Speed : $3,000
-Twin Turbo JDM Clip Automatic : $2,500

So as you can see... It would be MUCH easier to just buy a clip, and swap the entire powertrain in.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok so if you have a question about the Twin Turbo swap... Post it here, there enough members on this forum who can answer the question, Broke as **** is a good one to ask.

Here is a good site to refer to.

Twin Turbo Conversion

Also, please look at the write up one of our members (k3smostwanted) did. You can view the link HERE

If you can think of anything to add, just let me know. Or if some of my information is incorrect, just let me know once again.

Thanks for reading.

-Wes
-2000 PY Acura Integra Type-R #686 - WhoRe
-1997 EGP Honda Prelude Type-SH - Daily driver

R.I.P Hypsi87:Andy Filson

Last edited by ZedEx; 12-06-2007 at 11:37 PM.
ZedEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 08:30 AM   #2
Gradyman25
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Gradyman25
There is a place in Georgia that specializes in 90+ Z's. Most anyone with a Z in the Georgia area has heard of them they are Z1motorsports, they have a web page and do swaps all the time, these guys know what they are doing, they have a write up on the swap and it is in great detail, plus, they do pretty much anything else you can think of for Z's. check out their site.
Gradyman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 09:42 AM   #3
ZedEx
GO-FIGHT-KILL!

Re: Twin Turbo Swap... READ

Yes we all know about good old Z1... They do Twin Turbo swaps for 8grand I believe.

Thanks for the input.

-Wes

Old 09-07-2004, 07:54 PM   #4
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakonaleash1187 Send a message via MSN to freakonaleash1187

also, sgpracing in texas will do the swap for you too. if i remember right, their's is a little bit cheaper though.

ZedEx Crew Member #2
freakonaleash1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 10:50 PM   #5
igota20hpweedeater
AF Enthusiast

i know u guys will probably slap me for this one, but i have to just clarify......can i buy a tt front clip and be all set as far as the swap goes, i wont have to do anything else will I? And if i got the swap professionally done, how much would the labor be? Also, should i get the swap professionally done or can anyone who has done engine swaps before do it?
igota20hpweedeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 12:48 PM   #6
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted
ok...well...front clip will have everything you need except for driveshaft and exhaust. i dont know how much it will cost labor wise...but i do know that ultimatez and z1motorsports will do the whole thing for 8-10k. also, a good mechanic should be able to do the swap, it is just a matter of if he wants to take the project on.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 02:38 PM   #7
240/350Z
AF Newbie

also just a side note when we swapped a TT into an NA we discovered u can use the na tranny but not with the turbo sized clutch and flywheel. there are these risen grooves inside the tranny that would have to be ground down a little bit to make that work. If i'm wrong let me know but that is what we discovered. and also if you have your na wiring harness from a later year 300 and you use an early 90's clip you will need to re-solder(sp?) new injector connectors.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:02 PM   #8
ZedEx
GO-FIGHT-KILL!

O the Non-Turbo Transmission will work... But not as well as the Twin Turbo Tranny.

Early EFI Harness's do tend to corrode quite badly. It is a good idea to re-condition the connectors, from time to time.

-Wes

Old 09-10-2004, 03:45 AM   #9
MikeMan
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to MikeMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhain
-This is most practical for the swap, you have everything you need, and it would be a lot easier than swapping internals, changing mounts, etc.
Are you sure you have to change engine mounts? I thought it was a straight bolt in job.
If I need to change engine mounts, this is going to be close to disasterous for me when I decide 220hp isn't enough. 8(

-Mike
MikeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 08:27 AM   #10
ZedEx
GO-FIGHT-KILL!

222bhp

No I'm speaking of mounting for accesories, not engine.

The engine mounts line directly up.

-Wes

Old 09-11-2004, 03:51 AM   #11
MikeMan
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to MikeMan
Re: Re: Twin Turbo Swap... READ

Quote:
222bhp

No I'm speaking of mounting for accesories, not engine.

The engine mounts line directly up.

-Wes
Ahh cheers, you had me worried then.

-Mike
MikeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 04:27 AM   #12
StreetSailor
AF Newbie

About the 300zx engines and tranny is there a way i can find out about how much they weigh together from the turbo and non turbo in comparison? (auto or manual)
StreetSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 10:48 PM   #13
bobinyelm
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Twin Turbo Swap... READ

Quote:
Yes we all know about good old Z1... They do Twin Turbo swaps for 8grand I believe.

Thanks for the input.

-Wes
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Question:

Why pay $8K for a swap when one can buy a mint '90-92 TT with relatively low miles (85K or less) for well under $10K?

Am I missing something here, or doesn't it make sense to sell the 300ZX N.A. (for $6K) and buy a really nice 300ZX TT for $10K (or less)?

I bought my California '90 TT last year (82K miles) from a 58 year old original owner who babied it ($12K in receipts-treated it like one of his kids) and never drove it in bad weather for $7.5K, then did a timing belt (just to be sure), a driveline (slight vibration), and tires ($600). True, I now have almost $9K in the car, but it looks and runs like new without the hassles of a conversion. I don't think this is an abnormal situation-in fact maybe I could have found one even cheaper.

Bob
bobinyelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 11:02 PM   #14
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted
this is true ...some people get attched to their car and they dont want to deal with someone elses headache. it is definitely alot more reasonable to sell the n/a then buy a TT than to pay someone 10k to swap motors.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 03:58 PM   #15
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakonaleash1187 Send a message via MSN to freakonaleash1187

man i wish i could find a tt with under 100k miles for under $10k. the only tt's that i see for under $10k are the ones with something wrong with them or have really high mileage.

ZedEx Crew Member #2
freakonaleash1187 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)