Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 11:21 PM   #1
robertgreen94
AF Newbie

Unhappy O Dragon, where art thou?

So first off, these are my personal thoughts, and I do not mean any offense to anyone, nor do I believe my thoughts are the only choice. Everyone has their own opinion, and it does not have to be the same as mine. That said....

O Dragon, where are thou. For those wondering who Dragon are, some background. I started modeling some years ago (not that many) with my first model being a Tamiya KV-1 tank (kind of a automobile with a great solution for Meter-Maids). Excellent kit (its a Tamiya), no flash, very well engineered. After a while a company called Dragon Modeling started to bring out a number of kits that were; well superb. Great models and technically on par, or dare I say ahead of Tamiya from an engineering standpoint. And when they decided on a subject, they did every version. It would be like them starting with the Plymouth Barracuda and bringing out every year/version combo. So why do I mention this.

I decided to buy the Revel and Tamiya Enzo's and do them at the same time. The Tamiya is well engineered, little if no flash, good instructions. The Revel model, is none of these, and the dimensions are too small. But what is most idiotic part is how this model goes together. You would think that every part was designed in secret and then they put it in a box. It goes together like a house of cards. Move one part, the whole structure falls apart. Now, yes it was cheeper, but my god, I have almost thrown it though the wall twice, and I am only on step 4!
If, and its a big if, Dragon enters the auto market, Revel are in deep (fill in your own word). How Dragon does this, at the prices they charge is amazing. If only they would break out of their mold and do autos. Maybe if they run out of military vehicles to do (not long now) they we will be in for a treat.

I would love to hear other comments from more experienced modelers on the state of the quality of the models today. Its not like these models are free, we are paying for these.
robertgreen94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:33 AM   #2
Ferrari TR
Not A Hoarder!

Send a message via AIM to Ferrari TR
Re: O Dragon, where art thou?

Dragon is Trumpeter in the US market. IIRC
So they do make cars. Kind of a mixed bag, lots of detail but some small issues too. A little like the Hasegawa car kits.
I do agree with the Tamiya kits vs others for any given subject. I will spend almost three times the price for a Tamiya kit simply because i know the kit will fit together and the detail will be very good, and well, because i will enjoy building the sucker.
Ferrari TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:32 PM   #3
kaho
AF Enthusiast

Isn't dragon the brand that made/repackaged a bunch of 1/24 BMW's? If that's true, I had a box of BMW 316 compact and I personally think it could use some improvements.
kaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:29 PM   #4
hirofkd
AF Enthusiast

Dragon did release its own BMWs and GT racer kits. Some of them were repackaged by Hasegawa for the Japanese market (which Hasegawa just lost the distribution rights this spring), and maybe by Revell Germany for the European market (but I don't remember well). Some of those kits end up on eBay, so it's confusing as to who originally tooled them, but my understanding is that those are Dragon's own kits.

Dragon and Trumpeter are two different companies, although they might be handled by a common distributor in some parts of the world.

hirofkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
robertgreen94
AF Newbie

I was not aware of anything from Dragon in the past, but on the military side of the pond, in the last few years we have seen some extremely impressive kits using their new 'slide molding' technique. Some of their older kits are definitely inferior to their new stuff, but still are far ahead of Revel's stuff.

I have heard good things out of the Ferrari California from Revel, but what I feel makes Tamiya worth the money are the little things. The instructions, the layout the construction. You can tell someone has thought through the build process and asked 'does this make sense?' Dragon has that same attention to the little things. So if anyone from Dragon ever reads this, take your slide moulding over to cars, and give us some treats. Given the many people will pay over $50 for a kit, there is definitely a market for good kits.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:58 PM   #6
Asmenoth
AF Premium User

Actually most car kit companies would be up excrement creek if Dragon started to do proper car kits with the same verve as their tank kits. Imagine buying a kit of Tamiya quality, except that it actually includes the needed photoetch parts and some turned aluminum bits and does not cost $65 freeking dollars...and they might actually include engines. I remember the first Dragon kit I bought years ago...the 1/35 Initial Tiger. I paid $35 for it...got home, opened it up and thought to myself "Hmmm...it appears I have just made off like a bandit." It was packed with a ton of aftermarket parts. On the other hand, in the few kits Tamiya puts out that they decide to include a small fret of photoetch parts...they jack the price up to $50-60...or just make $50-60 kits that require the photoetch set to complete...and make you buy them seperately and charge $15-20 extra for them. Not photoetch that is used for more refined, or extra, detail, no no no...photoetch you NEED to finish the kit (the Le Clerc tank, or some of their latest $60 car kitscome to mind). Heck, I am certain that if Dragon starts making car kits (assuming they don't go nuts and decide to half ass it), all things that open on the real car will open on the kit, include an engine, photetch parts, maybe some wires for the brake lines and engine, some turned aluminum bits and cost less (or the same with licensing fees) than a Tamiya kit. That would be awesome.

No Officer, the speedometer only goes up to 85.
Asmenoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:55 PM   #7
kaho
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirofkd View Post
Dragon did release its own BMWs and GT racer kits. Some of them were repackaged by Hasegawa for the Japanese market (which Hasegawa just lost the distribution rights this spring), and maybe by Revell Germany for the European market (but I don't remember well). Some of those kits end up on eBay, so it's confusing as to who originally tooled them, but my understanding is that those are Dragon's own kits.

Dragon and Trumpeter are two different companies, although they might be handled by a common distributor in some parts of the world.
How does one lose the distribution rights for a subject? Do copyright prices drop as the subject gets older? Is the right only effective for a certain amount of time? If that's the case, doesn't that mean a lot of the old kits (Tamiya AE92, mugen civic, Grand cherokee, etc, Hasegawa ferio)will never be reissued again?
kaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:52 AM   #8
hirofkd
AF Enthusiast

I should have worded better. Hasegawa lost the rights to sell all Dragon products in the Japanese market as of Jan 31.

hirofkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:06 AM   #9
Veyron
AF Fanatic

I didn't think Dragon kits were all that great.

They were very simplified and the fitment was not very tight.

The best thing I can say about those kits is they made some cars in 1/24 that no one else did.

The pre-painted kits just created more work for the experienced modeler also.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:54 AM   #10
ZoomZoomMX-5
AF Fanatic

Dragon has already made car kits and they left a lot to be desired. They were simple curbsides, nothing at all like Tamiya kits, including curbsides. They made a big fat deal about their "special" BMW emblems in the kits. That didn't fix the weird pre-assembled & prepainted nature of the kits, or the funky ride height or the loose-fitting glass. The only saving grace is they were subjects not kitted by anyone else. Revell AG reboxed a few Dragon kits for awhile. I have no idea about Hasegawa-boxed Dragon kits.

Dragon does well with military models. They should stick to what they're really good at, especially after experiencing building one of their car kits. A statement that works equally well for most model manufacturers.

Revell's Enzo is an excellent kit if you compare the value vs. the Tamiya kit. The Tamiya kit should be better for 3-5 times the Revell price. I've seen excellent built Revell Enzo kits, and their body parts fit...I don't think I've ever seen a built Tamiya Enzo or FXX that the engine cover would actually fit in the closed position. That's the curse of the Tamiya Enzo/FXX kits; they just don't look right when the engine cover and doors are closed, because the parts fit isn't good that way. Tamiya kits are nice, but they are seriously overpriced, especially through US channels. Tamiya kits are nice for inexperienced builders, but they also spoil the inexperienced when a perfectly good kit like the Revell Enzo is frowned upon because it's not a "shake 'n bake" experience like you get with the Tamiya kit. Build a few more kits, get more comfortable with the hobby, and you'll find that Revell kits are quite good for their corner of the market. Tamiya makes it easy for you to look like you have game. By comparison Revell kits require that you have a bit of game going into the project if you want similar end results.

If Dragon hasn't bothered with high-tech car kits by now, they're not going to suddenly change. The market is not growing. Every company that's come along and tried to do new high-content, high-detail kits has pretty much failed. Trumpeter has yet to prove they can do a decent car kit without a lot of excuses for inaccuracies. Revell/Monogram attempted "Pro Modeler" kits before with more content, better instructions, research material, and photoetch parts, for about 30-50% more $ than their standard kits. Modelers didn't buy them...the experiment failed. Your only hope now is for the aftermarket to take up the slack by offering detail sets for mass-marketed plastic kits. The system works. Those wanting a decent model that won't take years to finish are satisfied by what's in the box, and those who want photoetch, machined parts and carbon fiber making their models more realistic are also catered to.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:09 PM   #11
tonioseven
AF Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to tonioseven

Trumpeter. I'm working on their '60 Pontiac Bonneville kit. Sure it has a high parts count but it's gonna seriously be a test of my abilities. I'm confident that I can do it a bit of justice but it is a far cry from the Revell '72 Cutlass 4-4-2 kit; so far it's a builder's dream. If I dig the subject matter, I'll build it no matter who makes it because I know I can make it look at least halfway decent. Just my two cents.
sam-r350 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0
tonioseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:12 AM   #12
robertgreen94
AF Newbie

Very interesting on how we have such a wide range of views. Most of the experience with Dragon on the auto side seems to be poor, and from what I have been told they did have issues in the past. One of the upsides, as Asmenoth stated, is that you now get a lot of stuff in the box. Now thats not to say that there are not better aftermarket add-ons even for the Tamiya models. My wife got me the SMS FXX kit for the Christmas and I look at it and try not to drool over it. I guess the 'poorer' kits do allow for a thriving aftermarket industry, but for me modeling is fun, so when a kit is so frustrating in its design that I want to kill it, its no longer fun. On the military side Dragons kits are fun to put together and you can build a really nice kit, which does not mean you cannot detail it to the max. We need someone to come along and shake this up and give some of these companies a run for their money. In the end we win. So if anyone knows the head of Dragon Models, give him a nudge
Old 02-27-2010, 11:30 AM   #13
tonioseven
AF Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to tonioseven

You do make a good point; I sort of regret selling my two Dragon BMW kits a few years back as they were unique subject matter.
sam-r350 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0
tonioseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:11 AM   #14
petesy
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomZoomMX-5 View Post
Dragon does well with military models. They should stick to what they're really good at, especially after experiencing building one of their car kits. A statement that works equally well for most model manufacturers.
The early Dragon military kits were pretty bad too; now they are among the best.

I think Dragon can make a decent car kit if they want to. The problem is the car modelling market is too small compared to the military market for them to bother at all. Not to mention all the licensing issues that simply don't exist in producing tank kits.
petesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:32 AM   #15
rx7king
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to rx7king

I don't know if this is off topic and I said it in a different thread but Model Factory Hiro produces kits with the type of quality and uniqueness that we are refering to Dragon having and their kits are quite pricey but they are still thriving. Also in a video of the president showing the new factory he said one of the things he would like to do is produce some plastic kits which I think would be very successful.

"Every company that's come along and tried to do new high-content, high-detail kits has pretty much failed." You're right about most....but not every, companies just need to know what cars are in demand

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling