Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > Tribute
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 05:26 PM   #1
KMcge
AF Newbie

Anti Theft Problems .. Maybe? Tribute not starting

My 01 tribute won't crank. It has had problems before while driving and the key light comes on a blinks fast while driving down the road. When it does this it's like you turn the truck off then switch it back on. It only did this about 5 or 6 times over the last year and always when I was on the road somewhere and wasn't able to check it when it happened. It hasn't acted up in the last few months so I thought it was just some freak thing that I could never find any way. But now...

I had problems with the battery going dead and it had to be replaced. So I did, and replaced the cable ends even tho they weren't really bad. Drove the truck for a day (over 100 miles) and it started and everything worked fine. But later that night when I went to start it, it wouldn't do anything. Not even a click from the starter. Checked the brand new battery and it was good. Then I noticed the key light on the dash was blinking faster than normal. Tryed both keys and neither worked. Left it for the night while I did research about it. Got up the next morning and it started like nothing is wrong.

Now it won't start again. Same situation, key light blinks fast but it doesnt try to start at all. Like the anti theft is giving problems. But is there a way to check this or maybe by pass it all together. I don't have the keyless remote for the car. Any advice is appreciated
KMcge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
mrmikey
AF Newbie

Re: Anti Theft Problems .. Maybe? Tribute not starting

It's definetly the security system by evidence from the rapidly flasing light. It can't be bypassed and there's not much you can do yourself, you need the diagnostic tool to do anything....Mike
mrmikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:28 PM   #3
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

1) Can your Turn High beam lights on, and honk your horn?
2) Do you think the alternator is doing it's job?
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
KMcge
AF Newbie

Quote:
It's definetly the security system by evidence from the rapidly flasing light. It can't be bypassed and there's not much you can do yourself, you need the diagnostic tool to do anything....Mike
Yeah thats kinda what I was thinking. Do you know of any books that allow me to check whats going on the the securtity system. Such as checking the components?

Quote:
1) Can your Turn High beam lights on, and honk your horn?
2) Do you think the alternator is doing it's job?
1) Headlights work, high beams too and so does the horn
2) The battery light wasn't coming on before it quit and even after driving it 100 miles with lights, heater, radio, etc.. on after the new install of the battery, it was still charged and good so I think the alternator is charging correctly. The only way I know to get it checked now since it's not starting is to take it off completely however. I'd rather not go that route unless I was sure it was the alternator.

Thanks for the help BTW.

Is there a way I can reset the securelock system by myself?
Old 01-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #5
adamgrant
AF Newbie

When you tried both keys and the security light flashes quickly it means the keys are not reconized and need to be reprogrammed.... could be an issue with the security module(PATS)
adamgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:25 AM   #6
mrmikey
AF Newbie

Quote:
Do you know of any books that allow me to check whats going on the the securtity system. Such as checking the components?
None that I know of.when I first bought my Ranger (mazda) and installed a remote starter I was looking for a way to bypass the system and didn't find a thing. Iwas also loking for any info and other than finding out it was a PATS (passive anti theft system) had no luck.
Quote:
When you tried both keys and the security light flashes quickly it means the keys are not reconized and need to be reprogrammed.... could be an issue with the security module(PATS)
Could be right, it could also be the pickup loop in the ignition tumbler. I tried to use a remote key pickup when I installed my auto start and couldn't get it to work properly. I ended up getting a spare key, programming it, cutting the key portion off and fastening the head next to the tumbler. It does defeat the security systrm but I wasn't too concerned about it. It also allows me to use a conventional key.....Mike
mrmikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:35 AM   #7
KMcge
AF Newbie

Quote:
That's what I was thinking that the security module has gone bad. From what I've read even if you replace the module yourself you will need to take it to the mazda dealership for reprogramming. I think I'll try and change the antenna ring on the cylinder if I can find a used one for cheap just to see. I don't think the keys are failing, at least not both of them at the same time.

Quote:
Could be right, it could also be the pickup loop in the ignition tumbler. I tried to use a remote key pickup when I installed my auto start and couldn't get it to work properly. I ended up getting a spare key, programming it, cutting the key portion off and fastening the head next to the tumbler. It does defeat the security systrm but I wasn't too concerned about it. It also allows me to use a conventional key.....Mike
I think I'll try and change the pickup loop with one to see if it will work, I'm sure it can't be too much. I looked at some of the remote start bypass systems but never could find anything that would bypass the security only piggyback on it. I'm going to try the ring and see if that works.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
KMcge
AF Newbie

The pickup loop was bad. Mazda dealer had to replace it and cut 2 new keys
The Following User Says Thank You to KMcge For This Useful Post:
danielsatur (06-14-2011)
Old 06-14-2011, 08:27 AM   #9
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

Info - You can have spare Ford/Mazda PATS encrypted keys cut at some local hardware store for $60.
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #10
Ol'Jim
AF Regular

Curious, what is a "Key Light"? Is this a security warning light on the dash? Have never even been near a Tribute, but going to try and help a friends daughter with hers this afternoon. She has had to have it towed several times lately, due to no-start condition, (acts like dead battery, but later on it starts fine). Also reportedly sometimes "shakes" when started up)?
1970 Chevelle SS454 (Gave to my son 9 years ago for his 18th birthday. Yeah, I know, crazy, right? Thank goodness he doesn't drive it the way I would, -er, did...).
1971 Monte Carlo SS454 Drag Racer. The old girl finally got new paint!
1968 Camaro SS (New race car project). Caged, Tubbed, Back-Half/Ladder Bars. Rolling Chassis (For now).
Ol'Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #11
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Mazda likes using a picture of a "key" instead of the word "security"..
aleekat is offline   Reply With Quote