Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volvo > S60
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 12:11 AM   #1
zyajzarc
AF Enthusiast

S60r

.. i realize that it seems no one posts in the volvo part of automotivefourms... so yea... well.. i just wanted to start a S60R post... any info.. pics.. TEST DRIVES (if you have i hate you).. and comparisons for this SAFE-BEAST.. yea. that's an oxymoron - is appreciated...

well... here's my comparison.. volvo S60R.. or audi S4?
zyajzarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 12:13 AM   #2
Jetts
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Jetts
i would take the s4 cause it is a sporty sedan and looks good with some nice rims

11/07/87 - 11/11/04
*** KEITH VALLEE***
R.I.P
Keith. higher then any mother fucker out there..... R.I.P homie..
Jetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 01:49 AM   #3
zyajzarc
AF Enthusiast

you just took looks into consideration..... how about gas milage, after-market, PRICE! put some more thought into it.. i'm kinda looking for a good discussion in this, what seems to be, unactive board.
Old 04-21-2003, 05:20 AM   #4
NSX-R-SSJ20K
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to NSX-R-SSJ20K
Volvo S60R it has AWD the Turbo 5 that produces 300hp and a sports mode that changes suspension settings and a clever traction control system

obviously i don't think its gonna corner as fast as the Audi but the R will be fast all the same

Volvo needs to lower the center of gravity of their cars loose some weight and reposition the engine so as to achieve a close 50/50 blance
possibly 48/52 with just balance being the main factor then focus on utilising Computer Aided systems to make the car faster still

Subaru uses total overall balance
Mitsubishi uses computer controlled systems

since volvo won't be able to have nearly as good computer control systems a mix of the two would produce a seriously Agressive Quick responsive car that would put the M3 to shame

I'd also like them to use the S80's inline six twin turbo instead and boost it to 350 - 380 hp to make it have some meat,

Lets suppose they make a S60 i would like them to use these sort of parts

Although they'd still have to maintain volvo's safe car image. :o But Ford'll screw that up
Old 04-21-2003, 06:56 PM   #5
zyajzarc
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by NSX-R-SSJ20K
I'd also like them to use the S80's inline six twin turbo instead and boost it to 350 - 380 hp to make it have some meat,
::drool::
Old 05-16-2003, 09:01 AM   #6
ChristopherJ
AF Newbie

Down here, Wheels Magazine has just driven the S60-R. They didn't mind it but basically said that the M3 and C32 don't have anything to worry about. Down here at least the Volvo doesn't cost anywhere near as much as the Germans, so the S60-R is really somewhere between a BMW 330i and a M3 for performance but priced around a 330i. Personally I'm a little disappointed in the styling, the PPC Showcar looked much more aggressive but Euro Performance sedans always seem to be designed to be a wolf in sheeps clothing.
ChristopherJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 06:51 AM   #7
NSX-R-SSJ20K
AF Fanatic

the PPC show car was awesome

this bastid child does not live up to the name of its farther

It needs a slap

and a T6 engine

and maybe its 52/48 weight distribution

50/50 apparently inccurs understeer

They need to make it lighter. Aluminium maybe?

Do they use Steel i don't remember
Old 07-20-2003, 06:44 PM   #8
kuntasmom
AF Newbie

I have an S60R. When it worked it was a great car to drive but in the two months that I have had the car it has been in the shop five times and now is completely undrivable. I am wondering if any other people have had problems with the chassis suspension and the computer?
kuntasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 07:52 AM   #9
NSX-R-SSJ20K
AF Fanatic

I saw a bunch when i was in Sweden recently and i was amazed very nice looking cars.

I'm not too keen on the Air-ride suspension or whatever its called. I'd prefer shocks and Coilovers because there's less to go wrong.

Almost every brand new car comes out of the factory with little problems that usually are sorted out after a while.

Did you break it in? Did you have to break it in? What happened to it? Loss of power? I'm quite interested in what the problem is.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:31 PM   #10
$ilverbullet
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to $ilverbullet
my friend has an S60R, and its fast as hell. I havn't been in an S4, so sorry, i can't compare to two. I really like how it has 3 preset suspention settings (comfort, sport, advance). He did a little hwy racing the other night against this Mustang GT. He had 4 people in the car, the Mustang only had 1 person and the Mustang couldn't keep up. Not too shabby for a $35k Volvo.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:06 AM   #11
NSX-R-SSJ20K
AF Fanatic

Re: S60r

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ilverbullet
my friend has an S60R, and its fast as hell. I havn't been in an S4, so sorry, i can't compare to two. I really like how it has 3 preset suspention settings (comfort, sport, advance). He did a little hwy racing the other night against this Mustang GT. He had 4 people in the car, the Mustang only had 1 person and the Mustang couldn't keep up. Not too shabby for a $35k Volvo.

300hp vs 260hp not comparison.... hahaha nice tho.

on a different note
I beaten Mustangs with a T5 Volvo. that was fun.
I liked beating up on V6 mustangs driven by dumbfucks who don't realise their car is much slower. They looked like jackasses when i passed em cuz they were trying to cut me off and stop me from overtaking by getting in front and cutting me off didn't work though cuz their car sucked. Did i mention that V6 Mustangs suck?
Old 02-27-2004, 09:41 PM   #12
TSI
AF Newbie

My dad really wants one of these. Do you think there will be any performance upgrades for them? i wish they were faster, but know how fast the STi is and it has a 2.5 turbo 4, this is a 2.5 turbo 5. And probably built more sturdily as i know volvo's that run for 400,000 miles or more!!
TSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 01:16 AM   #13
zyajzarc
AF Enthusiast

performance upgrades: yes. Go check out www.evolvecars.com
The car is DEFINITELY not as fast as an STi. The STi's engine is a boxer style with massive turbo and intercooling. The volvo is a trans. mounted I-6 with not so massive turbos. It may be more sturdy, i don't know, but i do know that subes are almost bulletproof and quite reliable.
Another thing, those 400k mile volvos... they aren't turbo-ed. The turbocharging factor decreases the reliablity of the car, so i doubt that the new turbo-ed volvo engines will be as reliable as the old ones (don't quote me on this).

Quote:
cheap. reliable, or high performance -- pick 2, that's all you get.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:16 AM   #14
NSX-R-SSJ20K
AF Fanatic

I-6????????

S60R has I5 with modified bits on it from the normal T5 (turbocharged inline five cylinder) www.kalmarunion.com
you can always buy a HKS turbine or Garret turbine and order the bits you need to fit it from someone else. It would be one hell of a job though
Old 03-01-2004, 01:00 PM   #15
TSI
AF Newbie

S60r auto= teh w0rst ev4r.

i just hope my dad doesnt get one of those.
sure they look cool, but then isnt that the point of a "ricer". All show, no go.

Why pay extra for brembo brakes, sport suspension and looks, if you are buying a car with 50 less lb ft of torque, and a chintzy automatic.

might as well just get the regular S60, buy the S60r brakes and your set.

on the other hand, if they had some sort of an "SMG" transmission THAT would be a cool choice over the manual.
TSI is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volvo > S60