Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-03-2001, 04:29 PM   #1
Steve
AF Newbie

Have you ever wondered why synthetic oil is more expensive than petroleum oil and if it's worth it? Well, I've done some research and this is what I came up with. The reason it is more expensive is because of how it is made. The name synthetic means that it is chemically synthesized from different hydrocarbons. They start with a hydrocarbon, then derive the gas ethylene, and then chemically synthesize that into the base stock for synthetic oil polyalphaolefin or PAO.
So what does all that mean to you? Because the oil is synthesized from the same molecule, the molecules of the base stock of synthetic oil are of all the same size and there is no impurity. This causes the oil to be more stable, and will enable it do a better job of lubrication. So when you heat the oil it is less volatile, or when you freeze the oil it will pour when petroleum oil is solid. Also, over extended use the synthetic will retain its same lubricating quality longer.
In contrast petroleum oil's molecules are of different sizes and shapes, and some of the molecules are undesirable. I hate to point out the obvious but they do pump it out of the ground. Refining will remove most but not all of the impurities. The oil's viscosity and lubricating quality will change overtime because the smaller molecules will burn off. This process will also cause acids and sludge to form in the oil.
I'll end by saying that I'm using synthetic oil in my vehicles and I know they are cleaner inside (check out the vehicle pictures on my web page), and the oil does a better job of lubrication. I've overcome the sticker shock of the oil by using it longer. I only change my oil every year or 25,000 miles and the oil filter every 6 months. My cars are better lubricated and I save time and money.
Don't try that with petroleum oil.
For more info check out my website. I also have some Chinook Helicopter pictures from Desert Storm.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2001, 11:01 PM   #2
Dillweed
AF Regular

Welcome Steve! Cool info thanks.
Old 03-04-2001, 01:19 PM   #3
Steve
AF Newbie

Your welcome.
Here's some more oil trivia. My friend just bought his wife a Porsche Boxter (Nice Guy) and the manufactures recommended oil change interval is 15,000 miles using mobile one. Considering how much money he paid for the car he said he was hesitant to let it go that long. I think as long as your engine is tight and you filter the oil properly, the synthetic oil will retain its lubricating quality.
I fly Chinook helicopters for the military. They use MIL SPEC synthetic oil and oil analysis for the turbine engines and the 5 transmissions. Oil samples are taken every 25 hours if the samples are good the oil stays in! It makes sense because the oil is good and they can monitor the components for failure before it happens.
Old 03-19-2001, 07:53 PM   #4
TheMan5952
Volvo Guy

Send a message via AIM to TheMan5952
Yea, I use Synthetic Oil. I wann use Royal Purple, but my dad won't buy it for me.

Sold!1993 volvo 850
Intake, Exhaust, Springs, Shock, I.C.E.
TheMan5952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2001, 12:13 PM   #5
JD@af
Missing in action

Send a message via ICQ to JD@af Send a message via AIM to JD@af
Arrow Good post, Steve

I read about this recently myself, and I believe that synthetic motor oils were first developed in the late 1960's by Mobil for use on oil rigs in the North Alaskan region. Apparently its properties help preserve its consistency in cold conditions as well.
JD@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2001, 10:35 PM   #6
Dillweed
AF Regular

So if I were to ask you which one is better, would there be any if's, and's and but's or would you just tell me which one?

It all boils down to: Is synthetic better than natural?

And how often should the two be changed safely?
Old 04-04-2001, 04:36 PM   #7
Steve
AF Newbie

I read synthetics were first developed during WW2 by the Germans. I guess they were having some problems with petroleum oil during cold weather operations on the Russian front. Since then synthetic oil has been used exclusively in aviation because of the tempurature extremes and reliability concerns, you can't pull to the side of the road if the engine quits when your flying.

Dillweed asked which is better? Synthetics are much better. Petroleum oil should be changed in accordance with the manufactures recomendation, which is ussually 3-7000 miles. When Mobile one first came out they advertised it as the 10,000 mile oil (or something like that). They don't reccomend that anymore. They may have changed the additives, I dont know why they changed. AMSOIL recommends changing the oil at 25,000 miles or one year and change the filter at six months. For mechanically sound engines this will work fine, but if you have an older engine that is running rich and blowing gas by the rings the oil will become contaminated. Also, I think it would be a good idea to change the oil in the spring to get rid of any condesation that may have accumulated over the winter. I change the synthetic oil every year and the filter at six months in both of my vehicles. I also use premium oil filters. Mobile one or AMSOIL oil filters are both good. http://www.syntheticoilonline.com
Old 04-04-2001, 11:50 PM   #8
Dillweed
AF Regular

What about changing your type of oil after considerable mileage, let's say changing from synthetic to petrolium and vice-versa?

I have a Nissan Stanza 1990. The old synthetic treated engine blew at 150,000 miles due to transmission caused over-reving.
I got a 51,000 mile engine installed and I'm wondering if I should go synthetic on this one.

Another question comes up: Can I treat a syntheticaly oiled engine with Prolong as I am accustomed to?
And is it reallt worth the money for the Prolong?
Old 04-05-2001, 09:13 PM   #9
Steve
AF Newbie

If you redline an engine the synthetic oil won't help. The synthetic oil may help it rev higher because of reduced friction, before mechanical failure occurs.

If you switch to synthetic oil you may want to flush your engine first. Synthetic oil does a great job of cleaning your engine. If there is sludge buildup from petroleum oil the synthetic oil will clean the sludge and saturate the oil filter prematurely.

Quality synthetic oil doesn't need additives. As for prolong check out the Federal Trade Commission settlement. (Link Below) There are similar cases for Slick 50, Motor up and some other additives. They do have some nice commercials though.

Federal Trade Commission
Old 04-06-2001, 11:59 PM   #10
Dillweed
AF Regular

I'm going to use synthetic from now on then.

What would the best be in your opinion.

I also live in Canada so I'm not sure to have the same brands as U.S.
Old 04-14-2001, 09:17 AM   #11
Steve
AF Newbie

There are allot of synthetic oils to choose from. I was using Mobile One for a few years with good results. I switched to AMSOIL because of the test data comparisons and the additive package, this oil is also good quality. Check out my website for comparison test data of different oils. Mobile One is probably available at any auto parts store, and you can order AMSOIL through catalog sales. Also, I would recommend a quality filter. Mobile One and AMSOIL filters are made from synthetic cellulose and fiberglass fibers. They are more efficient and will hold more dirt. They cost twice as much as a paper filter, but I think it's worth it.
Good luck.www.syntheticoilonline.com
Old 04-24-2001, 06:07 PM   #12
Chris
Oldie

Send a message via AIM to Chris Send a message via MSN to Chris
There is a bit of controversy regarding which oil is best for breaking in an engine. Which is better?
But non-syntetic normal engines run fine with regular oil. My mom's stanza went about 340 000 km (200 000miles) before we traded it in, and the engine ran great!
When I get a good car, I will use synthetic.

PS, is it good to use synthetic oil in an old car (like a 68 cougar with a 289)
Old 04-24-2001, 07:53 PM   #13
verboom
AF Regular

I wouldn't trust the milage reccomended by any oil company. I'm gonna stick to the manufacturer's reccomended, because they made the car, they know how long the oil should last in normal operating conditions. Certain engines are able to go longer without an oil change because of the fact that they can hold more oil.

Oh yeah, TheMan5952, you claim to be a man, but you need your daddy to buy you your own oil. Suck it up and buy your own like a man.
verboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2001, 05:23 PM   #14
Steve
AF Newbie

Sure you can use synthetic oil in older engines. Make sure the API Service code (SH,SJ,CF,...) and weight are correct. Different engines may require a different additive package. Also, you may want to flush the engine before switching to synthetic oil. Synthetic oil will clean the sludge left behind by petroleum oil and may clog the filter prematurely.
Most American manufactures recommended oil change interval is based on petroleum oil. Most people do not change their oil enough when using petroleum oil. That practice will damage an engine. I bought a used Ranchero with a 351 that seized the distributor and damaged the valve train because of sludge buildup which caused lack of lubrication. All caused because the previous owner neglected changing the oil.
Synthetic oil does not break down like petroleum oil does. That is just a fact. Therefore, as long as the oil is not contaminated by water or excessive blowby it will last longer. Most people would be better off using synthetic oil especially if they are prone extending their drain intervals.
I don't think it is wise to criticize Father Son relationships. My dad used to buy my oil, food... And I learned from him while working on a farm, but that is another subject.

syntheticoilonline.com
Old 04-25-2001, 10:59 PM   #15
Dillweed
AF Regular

It's funny Steve that you're in the oil selling buisiness and you only stay or post where it talks about oil.

Trying to bring your advertizing into AutomotiveForums by chance?