Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 12:08 AM   #1
peterson77
AF Newbie

Question cruise control problem w1500

my 2001 1500 SLT cruise control does not work right. it engages for a second and then my speed slowly drops and seems to pause for a split second every 5 mph. onc in a while i can play with the coast and resume buttons and get it to work for a while. i am starting to think that there may be either a vaccum problem or something electrical. the other problem is the driver side mirror defroster does work. hoping some one out there has experienced the same problems and can help me out.
peterson77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 01:37 AM   #2
de la cruz
AF Newbie

i was getting the same problem with my truck 1500 2001. I removed the throttle position sensor and excercised it a bit and it has not stalled out in the last 4 months or so. Or you could just go to any autoparts store and purchase one for around $30. Whichever you do it does not take long to do. hope this will help.....

dlc
de la cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 07:29 PM   #3
LTJGWorth
AF Regular

I have a 1997 ram 1500 extended cab with 5.9 V8 and i have a similiar problem. The cruise control might as well not even be there. I was told that it was a vacume line but I haven't been able to find it. I had to replace the throttle positioning sensor as well because my truck absolutly would not idle at all. The new sensor fixed it up good and the engine runs great but the cruise doesn't. If you get an answer, please let me know.
LTJGWorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 01:19 AM   #4
tomc2
AF Newbie

Re: cruise control problem w1500

I had the same problem, there has been a technical service bulletin (TSB) issued to address the cruise control trouble. The TSB number is "TSB 08-22-97 Rev A". You can find it at genosgarage.com, or any Dodge dealer will have it. It will describe the problem and how to fix it. The trouble is that the speed control vaccume hose is located under the battery tray and acid is dripping down onto the hose and damaging it causing it to lose vaccume. This is one of those problems you could chase for the rest of your life and not fix, but when you know the answer it seems pretty simple.
What it amounts to is buying a new hose and putting a battery mat in the tray, but make sure you read it there are some details they suggest, plus they give you the necessary part numbers.
tomc2 is offline   Reply With Quote