Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 11:36 PM   #106
azn3000GTRacer
AF Regular

Re: How Fast have you gone in your VR4?

Back to what i said previously if the speedo reads 170 and if ur right about the 10 mile hr diffrence still the cpu still thinks your going 170 and it hasent limited me to go faster yet. So that takes one theory down that the VR4 shuts down at 160 or 165
Old 03-15-2004, 12:52 PM   #107
Teazrsnow
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Teazrsnow Send a message via Yahoo to Teazrsnow

every us car has a speed limiter

2nd Place Drag racing Fwd 3s National Gathering 03[
Old 03-15-2004, 12:58 PM   #108
azn3000GTRacer
AF Regular

Re: Re: How Fast have you gone in your VR4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teazrsnow
Do they? My friend has a 1999 camaro SS and he's hasent reach his yet? He's topped out his speedo more than i can count and it's stock. Are you sure your not talking about the Rev Limiter? Iam just wondering if the VR4 does have a speed limiter i know it's not 160
Old 03-15-2004, 01:13 PM   #109
91 Celica St
AF - Advisor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How Fast have you gone in your VR4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourmama436
i live ner sac so that "lets" do go up to the sacramento race way?
during spring break i might actualy take u up on that (i live in napa and thats about hour and a half away)

and in response to the person that said cars cant go over their speed guage- my celica guage goes 120, when i had it stock i topped it out at around 135-140 (dont know cuz guage only goes to 120)
Old 03-15-2004, 07:40 PM   #110
talskinyguy
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to talskinyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teazrsnow
That is insanely wrong.
3000GT's for instance dont have them, my truck doesnt have one, my friends olds cutlass doesnt have one. They all just get to a point where the drag overcomes the power made by the engine.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:13 PM   #111
Igovert500
blue + red light magnet

I am going to agree with talskinyguy here, not all US cars have speed limiters. Some companies put on speed limiters because they are too cheap to put on the higher speed rated tires and therefore limit the cars potential. But as far as the 3000gt, I think it would reach that point where drag overcomes the power, and I thought that was at 160. Again, I have never been going that fast, so I don't know, but I thought that is what they stopped at stock...again, I don't know from personal experience....but I would love to...Anyways, I am not saying that with modifications these cars would stop there, I believe them fully capable of well over 200. Just didn't think 180 was possible stock.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:26 AM   #112
azn3000GTRacer
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igovert500
I am going to agree with talskinyguy here, not all US cars have speed limiters. Some companies put on speed limiters because they are too cheap to put on the higher speed rated tires and therefore limit the cars potential. But as far as the 3000gt, I think it would reach that point where drag overcomes the power, and I thought that was at 160. Again, I have never been going that fast, so I don't know, but I thought that is what they stopped at stock...again, I don't know from personal experience....but I would love to...Anyways, I am not saying that with modifications these cars would stop there, I believe them fully capable of well over 200. Just didn't think 180 was possible stock.
We will find out this spring once the weather is nicer I got a straight shot from Mt.Pleasant, to Iowa City on Highway 218. Check it out on a map it's basicly 45 miles of pure straight highway. Iowa by the way.Iam workin on my website and when iam done i'll post up the 170mph that i got and soon the 180
Old 03-16-2004, 01:35 AM   #113
sLADe781
AF Enthusiast

Dude, where do you guys go/live that allows you to go that fast? Aren't there any cops around? LOL But yeah....if you were caught going 95 and up, couldn't you get arrested or something? Because my friend was caught doing 92 (he slowed down from a distance) and a cop pulled him over and said something like 95+ goes to jail or something...after the ticket of course....
Old 03-16-2004, 01:38 AM   #114
youngvr4
STREET RACING GURU

well once its a sertain speed its rectless driving wich if they want they can take you to jail, i though it was like 20 over the speed limit
Old 03-16-2004, 01:40 AM   #115
sLADe781
AF Enthusiast

Oh okay, maybe the speed limit on that strip was 75 then. Well, that makes sense....thanks...
Old 03-16-2004, 12:31 PM   #116
Igovert500
blue + red light magnet

I've heard that they have the option to revoke your license and take you to jail if you go 20+ over the limit, other places I've heard 30+, maybe it differs state to state. And I don't know about Iowa, but around here there are definantly cops. It's just the fact that I have driven between home and school so much that I know every speed trap by heart.
Lastly, I am not suggesting that you run from the cops...but if one sees you going 180, you have to figure you are doing a mile every 20 seconds, and with his reaction time and car taking at least 6 seconds to get to 60, he has no chance of catching you unless he calls ahead.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:02 PM   #117
Igovert500
blue + red light magnet

And not to start this whole argument up again, but I think this is what youngvr4 was talking about, this was posted at www.3si.org under Tech tips, and Speed Accuracy Information...

"Speedometer TSB

Contributed by: Ken Middaugh
This is fairly common on 1st gen cars. That why I take those "My top speed is 170mph" boasts with a grain of salt. If they have the original gear, their speedo could read more than 10 mph high at those speeds.

Anyway, the accuracy can be improved by replacing the speedometer gear. The '91-'93 VR4 TSB # is 93-22-002. The Mitsu part # is MR111502. Dodge should have their own TSB & part #, but the part should be identical. This should be the 28 tooth gear. I assume that MR111501 is the original 27 tooth gear. Ask your favorite Service Manager to print out the TSB for you. He should hand you a nice 4 page TSB with drawings -- looks service manual quality. It's very easy to replace though even without instructions. Just remove the battery & windshield washer bottle. Then you can access the gear housing. Just remove the electrical connector on top, and one small bolt and it should lift out. Then use a nail & hammer to punch out the pin. Put a little oil on the shaft of the new gear when you swap the gears. Reinsert the pin with the split facing outward. Should take the do-it-yourselfer less than an hour to replace."

I don't mean to start the debate up again, I just stumbled on this today and thought it might help.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:04 PM   #118
YogsVR4
Funding the welfare state

Send a message via AIM to YogsVR4
I'll believe a 180mph (or anywhere close) if the speed is measured with a GPS unit and not the spedometer.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 03-16-2004, 02:34 PM   #119
azn3000GTRacer
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sLADe781
Dude, where do you guys go/live that allows you to go that fast? Aren't there any cops around? LOL But yeah....if you were caught going 95 and up, couldn't you get arrested or something? Because my friend was caught doing 92 (he slowed down from a distance) and a cop pulled him over and said something like 95+ goes to jail or something...after the ticket of course....

LOL well yea ur gonna go to jail if u get pulled over for going 100+ that's risk you have to take when u wanna go fast. Plus if your going 130+ and you see a cop come from the other lane you dont stop you keep going cause by the time he turns around and trys to catch up to speed your u should be a good 1 or 2 ahead. Then you take the next exit possible or turn and go as fast as you can. LOL never had to do that yet
Old 03-16-2004, 03:38 PM   #120
sLADe781
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn3000GTRacer
LOL well yea ur gonna go to jail if u get pulled over for going 100+ that's risk you have to take when u wanna go fast. Plus if your going 130+ and you see a cop come from the other lane you dont stop you keep going cause by the time he turns around and trys to catch up to speed your u should be a good 1 or 2 ahead. Then you take the next exit possible or turn and go as fast as you can. LOL never had to do that yet
LMAO He says "yet"

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth