Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 04:12 PM   #1
sasquatch2550
AF Newbie

Question K&N Junk or Great? Any advice?

Hi, I have a 97 1500, 5.2 auto. Have a flat K&N Airfilter in the stock airbox, was thinking of getting that conical filter and tube FITK? or something like that they call it, runs about $150 or $200, has any one got that, does it really give you 10 horse increase? any advice would be helpful, thanks, Jeff
sasquatch2550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 07:11 AM   #2
indyram
AF Enthusiast

Re: K&N Junk or Great? Any advice?

If you don't do that, take the tube off the airbox and leave it run open. I thought that having it run to the wheel well like that wouldn't provide much airflow. So I took mine off and it works much better. I am going to get a fipk though.
indyram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 09:37 AM   #3
sasquatch2550
AF Newbie

does the engine get cooler air from running that pipe out to the wheel well, im gonna be towing a 5000 lb boat in august and worry about overheating, i have the tow package with the trans cooler.
sasquatch2550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 02:17 PM   #4
gates455cutlass
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to gates455cutlass Send a message via Yahoo to gates455cutlass

I have the fipk kit on my 4.7 and I love it...got more horsepower and even slightly better mpg...drawback, it is much more noisier. But get the real thing, the imitations are crap.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:11 AM   #5
indyram
AF Enthusiast

I have pulled larger loads than that in the middle of summer here and it gets hot and humid. I have not had a problem at all.
indyram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 02:13 AM   #6
TRAILDUSTER79
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to TRAILDUSTER79 Send a message via Yahoo to TRAILDUSTER79

IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE DOING ANY TOWING, GET A TRANNY COOLER. IT WILL SAVE YOUR BUT WHEN IT COMES TO AUTOMATICS. AS FOR THE AIR TUBE FILTER THING, JUST REMEMBER, THE ENGINE LIKES CLEAN & COLD AIR, SO DO WHAT YOU CAN TO KEEP IT THAT WAY....THE COLDER THE THE AIR ON INTAKE, THE BETTER THE BURN AND MPG...and please remember one other thing, wshen it comes to buying imitation perforfance parts.....Pay the money and get the real deal.....it will save you a major headache in the future. ALSO, K&N WARRENTIRES THERE FILTERS FOR 1,000,000 MILES. IF THEIR FILTER FAILS AND TAKES OUT YOUR ENGINE, TRANNY, OR ANYTHING ELSE....K&N WILL REPLACE ALL BROKEN PARTS CAUSE BY THEIR PRODUCT......THE only draw back that i have seen is that on larger filters that are used in real dusty climates, you might be cleaning it every week, which sucks cause the price on a kit is around $15 -$20. Gets expinsive when you have to do it weekly.
TRAILDUSTER79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 06:45 AM   #7
slantsixness
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: K&N Junk or Great? Any advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAILDUSTER79
IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE DOING ANY TOWING, GET A TRANNY COOLER. IT WILL SAVE YOUR BUT WHEN IT COMES TO AUTOMATICS. AS FOR THE AIR TUBE FILTER THING, JUST REMEMBER, THE ENGINE LIKES CLEAN & COLD AIR, SO DO WHAT YOU CAN TO KEEP IT THAT WAY....THE COLDER THE THE AIR ON INTAKE, THE BETTER THE BURN AND MPG...and please remember one other thing, wshen it comes to buying imitation perforfance parts.....Pay the money and get the real deal.....it will save you a major headache in the future. ALSO, K&N WARRENTIRES THERE FILTERS FOR 1,000,000 MILES. IF THEIR FILTER FAILS AND TAKES OUT YOUR ENGINE, TRANNY, OR ANYTHING ELSE....K&N WILL REPLACE ALL BROKEN PARTS CAUSE BY THEIR PRODUCT......THE only draw back that i have seen is that on larger filters that are used in real dusty climates, you might be cleaning it every week, which sucks cause the price on a kit is around $15 -$20. Gets expinsive when you have to do it weekly.

He's damn right. And K&N is, in my (useless) opinion, the best there is.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:04 PM   #8
BleedDodge
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to BleedDodge

I hear that.
BleedDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 12:54 PM   #9
SUMOBOY
AF Regular

I put a K&N air filter in, disconnected the hose to the fenderwell, and put in an MSD sparkbox. Once I remebered to regap the plugs a thousand miles later, this thing flat out runs. 95 Ram1500 with 360 motor. 198,000 miles on it and I,ve embarassed a couple hot rod boyzzzz
Old 06-10-2004, 07:33 PM   #10
seniorbigs
AF Regular

I would leave the cold air tube on. Otherwise the engine sucks in nice warm air. Remember to clean the K&N, for some reason, many people think it never needs cleaning.
seniorbigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 07:40 PM   #11
BleedDodge
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to BleedDodge

I won't touch mine. It does what it's supposed to...
BleedDodge is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10