Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 01:28 PM   #1
jermmcd
AF Newbie

OBD and how to access

Hi all, is there any easy way to access the OBD codes for a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4? It feels like the oxygen sensors are faulty (I had that problem with my 1995 & 2001 Plymouth Neons). on my previos cars, I could access the Self diagnostics by turning the ignition switch on-off-on-off-on and it would tell me the codes to the problems that the cars were having. Is there something like this for the 1998 Dodge Ram trucks? An help is greatly appreciated!
jermmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 02:17 PM   #2
Sport45
AF Newbie

Re: OBD and how to access

1996 and later models are equipped with OBDII systems. Check the emissions label under your hood to be sure. OBDII requires a compurer reader to pull and reset codes. The Autozone stores in my area will pull the codes for free.
Sport45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 02:29 PM   #3
jermmcd
AF Newbie

Re: Re: OBD and how to access

Thanks! I did go by Autozone yesterday. My check engine soon light flashes, especially going up mountains, or trying to pass some one. But as soon as I let off the gas, the light stops flashin and doesn't come on again. The man at autozone scanned it, but it passed. There is definately something wrong, and it feels like O2 sensors?!?! Any suggestions?!?!?
jermmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 11:12 AM   #4
Mtngoat
AF Newbie

I have used EASE diagostics (www.obd2.com) while I am driving to detect problems. It is an expensive tool ($300), but worth while when you run into as many problems as I do. I have it connected to a laptop and recording specific data while driving. A second option would be the Data-Logger. This would allow you to record everything going on when you get the fault/check engine, and not need any other tools.

I prefer the laptop so the passeger can be checking all systems while driving. Again, not a cheap option, but worth it if you have access to a laptop computer.
Mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 08:46 AM   #5
sadlerb_98
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to sadlerb_98
2001 Ram. I did the on off on off on thing and in the odometer section it said " P done" and gave 6 chimes. What does this mean?

Thanks,
Bob
sadlerb_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 10:51 PM   #6
seniorbigs
AF Regular

Re: OBD and how to access

You will have a code for a cylinder misfire if the CEL is flashing. The fuel not burning in the misfiring cylinder gets passed into the cat and is burned there. This drives the cat temp way up and destroys the cat. When the CEL flashes, the engine is supposed to be shut off to prevent damge to the cat. That way, Chrysler might save on the cost of a cat.
seniorbigs is offline   Reply With Quote