Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Opel/Vauxhall > Opel GT
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 08:35 AM   #1
steve17
AF Newbie

Looking to buy Opel GT, advice on value appreciated

I am 17 years old, i am looking to buy a 1973 Opel GT that my neighbor is selling. He is asking $2500, but im pretty sure that the car cant be worht more that $2000.
I really love the car, but i need some help on what i should offer for it.

Any advice from people knowledgeable on this particular type of car would be appreciated. I dont want people posting on this topic just to blab, I want people give helpful information.

Here is some information on the car, plus anything i have noticed about the car that would lower its value, or requires repair.
the car only has 75k miles on it, which is good, i guess, i dont know how many miles i could expect to get out of the car.

List of Bad

-Speedometer and tachometer not working
-headlights have almost all the paint worn off, and in a small area (less than 1"x1") rust has eaten through.
-the interior is alright, but the drivers seat is torn in several places.
-the grille on the bottom front intake is missing, and behind it several areas on the bottom are rusted through, but nothing dangerous, its just under where the battery sits, and nothing connects to it, but still a pain in the butt to fix if i restore/modify the car.
-the drivers side window has fallen off its track, and needs to be fixed, but nothing dificult.
-the body is rusted and chipped in a few places on the bottom right below the door, but you can only see it if you lay down on the ground.
-the dual exhaust needs to be secured, the "rubber bands" that hold it on are dry rotted.
-the paint is not glossy any more, nor is it the original color, and it is wearing off in a couple of places.
-in the back near the rear window, there is a small line of rust where the panels would have been welded together, but it is sturdy. also, next to this, there is a chip of paint missing that is approximately 2"x2" and the rest of the paint ariound it is separated from the body of the car and needs to be stripped, sanded, filled, than repainted.
-the windshield wiper arms will not stop spinning when you turn the car on, and so the arms have been taken off.
-the lever to turn the headlights needs to be reattached, the part under the hood that connects the handle to the headlights is disconnected.
-the sun visor on the drivers side is missing as well as the lid to the glove compartment.
-the timing seemed to be off when i rode in it, but it could be stale gasoline that caused the car to misfire.

thats about all for the bad stuff.

Good

the car has a brand new sound system, but whoever did wired the head unit wrong, but i know how to fix that.

the transmission is good, and runs well, shifts well. (its a manual by the way)

overall the car is good mechanically, but it has trouble starting because of the old gas, and probably needs a fuel injector cleaner run through it.

the rest of the body is good, and so is the glass.

if anyone can give me a ballpark or a more specific quote on price based on what i gave you (sorry, no pictures, i took them with my phone, and i don't know how to get them online, but if you want i can text them to you.

thanks
steve17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:46 PM   #2
Oldengineer
AF Regular

Re: Looking to buy Opel GT, advice on value appreciated

My son shopped these cars for several years before buying a 70 GT. His needed brake work, but, otherwise was in better shape than the one you're looking at. He picked it up for $1500 in Ky. Even nicely restored, these cars don't bring high dollars - look at them on Ebay. Based on my son's experience, I'd say the car is worth about $1000.
Oldengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:55 PM   #3
east texas
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve17

if anyone can give me a ballpark or a more specific quote on price based on what i gave you (sorry, no pictures, i took them with my phone, and i don't know how to get them online, but if you want i can text them to you.

thanks
Cars are worth between 500 rolling chassis complete more and likey will not run and need extensive work to make it road worthy to 5000 in running and almost perfect shape . You want to find one that has no rust in the critical areas Car is unibody construction any rust along door sill or lower chassis be better to look for another one. and with an interior. Engines can be repaired but interior and gaskets for windows etc. can run you a considerable sum. Opel GT source has many many parts.
east texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:58 PM   #4
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Please check the date of the last post in the thread and do not respond if that date is longer than 3 months from the current date.
From AF's Community Guidelines:
POSTING IN CLOSED OR OUTDATED THREADS:
If a thread has been closed, there is probably a logical reason for it. If you feel that the reason(s) for closure of the original thread are unjustified or wish further clarification feel free to contact any member of the moderating team. However, do not start a new thread about another closed thread.

Please avoid posting or voting in outdated threads. It merely clutters up the message board and makes it more difficult for fellow members to sort through the vast amount of information contained on the boards. If you have new and important information to add regarding a past discussion, feel free to start a new thread and if need be, add a link to the original thread.

The link to these guidelines can be found here:http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...uidelines.html

Closed.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Opel/Vauxhall > Opel GT