Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 09:05 PM   #1
4re
AF Newbie

2002 Lincoln ls Has no heat

What could be the problem. I have checked the heater core by pulling off all three hoses and ran water through the heater core No clogs. One line is hot as if the anti freeze is reaching the heater core but is not cycling through, The other two lines are cool. I did a self test and pulled some codes 27 99 / 27 97 /19 47 /12 42
4re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:11 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: 2002 Lincoln ls Has no heat

Welcome to the forum!

The first two codes I don't find in the factory service manual. Code 1947 means Evaporator discharge temperature sensor circuit short to ground. Code 1242 means Recirculation door actuator circuit failure.

I'd start with the Evap discharge temp sensor circuit and see where that gets you, having recently needing to replace that part on my wife's 2002 LS due to no cold air. If you turn the temp setting up all the way to 90 degrees, do you get heat?

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:42 AM   #3
4re
AF Newbie

Thanks for the fast response. I was able to get the codes from the self test. I had to press the off and defrost together and then the auto button within two seconds. The forums said use the off and floor button followed by the auto buttun nothings happens . I do not get any heat when turned up to 90 % also there is no A/C I will need to research that problem after heat the heat is fixed, Is the evap discharge temp sensor under the dash. Thank YOU IN ADVANCE
Old 10-28-2008, 08:24 AM   #4
shorod
SHO No Mo

Thanks for the correction on reading the codes. You should post a follow-up to the incorrect thread. I've heard there are different methods depending on if you have the headed and cooled seats.

The evap discharge temp sensor is under the dash, accessible from the driver's side floor once the duct and knee panel are removed. There are three identical white sensors along the side of the center assembly. My recall is the evap sensor is the one that's about halfway up. To remove them, you are supposed to unplug and rock them, don't try to twist them. I used a small flatblade pocket screwdriver to pop one dies loose, then wiggled it out. It came out pretty easy. They extend into the center assembly probably about 3 inches.

Based on the code 1947, you should check the sensor for a short. If you don't find a short, then check the wiring to see if it's shorted to ground.

-Rod
Old 10-28-2008, 10:19 AM   #5
4re
AF Newbie

Thank you for the follow up Rod. I will take a look in to all the great info you supplied me with. I will also double check the codes . Once again Thank You in advance .
Old 10-28-2008, 02:30 PM   #6
rhanson1
AF Newbie

FYI, the 2799 code means "passenger coolant control valve open circuit". The 2797 code means "driver coolant control valve open circuit". Sounds like your lack of heat problem has something to do with the DCCV (dual coolant control valve) or the wiring to it. The DCCV is next to the radiator on the passenger side.

I have a different heat problem with my 2004 LS, and Rod has been helping me out on another thread. We think that we've narrowed my problem down to sensors, but I haven't had time to dig into yet. Good luck.
rhanson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:57 PM   #7
4re
AF Newbie

Thanks for the info on the codes they can be real helpful. When the valve is stuck open do you believe it's caused by the evap discharge temp sensor. Thanks you in advance.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:02 PM   #8
rhanson1
AF Newbie

Shorod clearly knows a lot more about this stuff than I do, but I wouldn't think a bad evap discharge temperature sensor would throw out that kind of code. A bad sensor has a code of it own. To help you and others out there who might be running into similar problems, here is a link that I found with a list of the DTC's: http://www.lincolnsofdistinction.org...d.php?p=142563

I would think that the problem causing the 2799 DTC would be either a bad DCCV or a break in the wiring to it.
rhanson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:25 PM   #9
shorod
SHO No Mo

Those codes show up on the manual for the 2004 model year, but they are not listed in the factory service manual for the 2002 model year. Interesting.

I also agree that the evap discharge sensor would not cause the DCCV codes, but he does also have a code for the evap sensor circuit as well.

-Rod
Old 10-29-2008, 09:11 PM   #10
4re
AF Newbie

shorod / rhanson1 You have giving me a lot of information to work with, I am going to look over the car this weekend. I will get back with the results. Thank you.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:22 AM   #11
bennett007
AF Newbie

new to the site, hi all and thanks for any help.
have a 01 lincoln with sudden loss of heat and temp gauge has bounced all over from mid to hot. so i changed the thermastat, but to no aval!!! so reading all of these posts has given me some insite, and im thinking that im in for a bit of a rollar coaster ride.
long and short, no heat, new thermastat. was wondering about an "air lock." funny thing was that during my air removal trials i left both the air release, and over flow caps on. then i play with the lower rad hose and tried to purged the system that way. and it worked! but onced i shut the car off and let it cool, i was right back to were i was. any help out there. just so "you" know the car has a new hvac deck...... about 3 years old.
bennett007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:34 PM   #12
4re
AF Newbie

I believe if you can get Shorod on your team you should be able to correct the problem. I'm still working on my LS But I believe I have enough info to correct the heat problem . However Shorod appears to be the master and should be able to help fix, site unseen (amazing) Good luck!
Old 11-02-2008, 08:41 AM   #13
shorod
SHO No Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennett007
new to the site, hi all and thanks for any help.
have a 01 lincoln with sudden loss of heat and temp gauge has bounced all over from mid to hot. so i changed the thermastat, but to no aval!!! so reading all of these posts has given me some insite, and im thinking that im in for a bit of a rollar coaster ride.
long and short, no heat, new thermastat. was wondering about an "air lock." funny thing was that during my air removal trials i left both the air release, and over flow caps on. then i play with the lower rad hose and tried to purged the system that way. and it worked! but onced i shut the car off and let it cool, i was right back to were i was. any help out there. just so "you" know the car has a new hvac deck...... about 3 years old.
With the temp gauge bouncing, I'd also suspect you have air trapped in the cooling system, especially since you're recently had the system open. There is a procedure for purging the air, I'll try to get that procedure posted....

Have you tried pulling diagnostic codes from the DATC controller? The steps have been posted a few time on the forum for the 2000-2002 model years. Apparently it's a bit different for the 2003-2006 model years, depending on the options.

-Rod
Old 11-02-2008, 09:00 AM   #14
shorod
SHO No Mo

Well, I wasn't able to cleanly get the procedure to where I could post it as a series of JPEGs, so I e-mailed the procedure to the address you provided in your PM.

-Rod
Old 11-07-2008, 12:17 PM   #15
4re
AF Newbie

I finally found the time to install the new evap discharge temp sensor, It does not appear that the problem is fixed. I believe the (dccv) may be the next replacement. Can you tell me what commands the (dccv )to open and close so I can look in to that as well . I believe they are in the closed position at this time.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ