Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: Which one would you choose ?
Ferrari Modena 22 55.00%
Porsche 911 Turbo 11 27.50%
Honda NSX 7 17.50%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 11:04 PM   #76
Miltown_Racer
AF Regular

Hey...some of y'all are making it sound like I'm a white or something. I'm actually asian. I don't hate on American cars..I give them props.

Whoever said the R34 GTR has 350+ HP needs to do a research. just to clear things up, I was talking about both drag and course.

I'm not sure how high a Modena tops out at, but the last time i read super street on the review on the NSX type S US version, it topped out at 175 MPH. That means, the NSX-R should go higher. Not bad for 290 ponies, huh? I'm sure a Z06 will top an NSX-R in long runs...and so will the Modena.

Overall, who in the whole races up to 150+ MPH? (exclude pro drag racers). I don't care if your Modena can top an NSX-R. All I car about is winning and a win is a win. I have to say, the only chances the Modena has to beat a Z06, GTR, or NSX-R is in a course race. Even so, the results may be different that what you expect.

Lastly, the reason why i said a Z06 is better than the modena is because...first of all, it has 405 ponies. More than what thje modena has according to whoever gave me the HP rating on that thing..

Don't get me wrong, i ain't hating on the Modena. Just stating what i see in car review mags and from what i've seen. Don't hate now..
Old 01-31-2003, 12:16 AM   #77
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi
actually, it wouldn't be uncommon to find a gt-r sporting a real world 300+hp... it's been documented, and i've seen 330 from em...
same for the nsx...

the zo6 now has 415 or 420...

the hp rating on a skyline or other jdm import is a bit of a rating...

like the muscle cars in the 60s that were advertised at "350", and ended up making 350+ to the wheels... alot of cars are like that...
Old 01-31-2003, 12:37 AM   #78
Miltown_Racer
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by flylwsi
actually, it wouldn't be uncommon to find a gt-r sporting a real world 300+hp... it's been documented, and i've seen 330 from em...
same for the nsx...

the zo6 now has 415 or 420...

the hp rating on a skyline or other jdm import is a bit of a rating...

like the muscle cars in the 60s that were advertised at "350", and ended up making 350+ to the wheels... alot of cars are like that...
hmmmm...didn't know that. So now i'm wondering, what is the point of advertising a car with a lower HP then?

It's also funny, not that i don't believe you, I do too to a certain extend, but then how come super street doesn't say anything about that....The reason why i believed you to a certain extend because the new dodge neon SRT-4 claimed to have 215 HP and 245 TQ from the factory, but when actually dynoed, it had about 10 more HP/TQ.

Overall, in my previous statements, i think the Z06 is the best price for its performance.
Old 01-31-2003, 04:50 AM   #79
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino
Quote:
Originally posted by Miltown_Racer

hmmmm...didn't know that. So now i'm wondering, what is the point of advertising a car with a lower HP then?

It's also funny, not that i don't believe you, I do too to a certain extend, but then how come super street doesn't say anything about that....The reason why i believed you to a certain extend because the new dodge neon SRT-4 claimed to have 215 HP and 245 TQ from the factory, but when actually dynoed, it had about 10 more HP/TQ.

Overall, in my previous statements, i think the Z06 is the best price for its performance.
Well maybe considering that several people told you the same thing could it be that we are on to something??? Stop believing everything you read about in super stree. The reason that the skyline numbers are so low is because the gentelman's agreement they have in Japan that states that the cars should never have more than 280HP. So many cars made in japan have bogus numbers. I mean have you ever asked yourself why the 3.0L engine in the NSX is making less that 300 hp even though the NSX is the best honda and is has less than 100HP/L when the si has as much and the s2000 has 140hp/L. So sto believing japanese numbers cuz because that agreemnts a lot are fake.

Also yes the zo6 is a better value for the money than the modena but that doesn't mean it outperforms it. The modena is faster and I'm sure pretty much everybody in this forum will agree with me on this one. And i don't mean faster on a 1/4 mile cuz ferrari's were never designed to be 1/4 mile cars but track cars.

On the same logic you can say that the hyunday accent is a better value than the zo6. I mean you pay like 10K for a car that goes 100 MPH whyle the zo6 is 40K for a car that goes 180 MPh in order for the zo6 to affer the same value it would have to go 4 times faster aka 400MPH and i do not belive it goes that fast.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Old 02-01-2003, 01:35 AM   #80
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

one major reason.

insurance.

it's cheaper to insure a car that is listed at "280" hp (this is other than the jdm agreement, that just recently got dropped by the way)...

than it is to insure one with 320 or so...

muscle cars did it all the time... 350hp cars commonly made 400+ when dynoed...

if you're referring to the test of the new srt4, they noted that the car they have is prproduction...

another reason they undershoot is so they don't have the problem for did in 99(?) with the cobra, that was rated at 320, and owners were getting them dynoed and finding whp to be much less than they should have been...

so it's to ensure that the customer's not disappointed as well...
Old 02-01-2003, 08:32 AM   #81
crayzayjay
CFA

Quote:
At the same Im taking nothing away from the Ferrari enginers, they will be just as talanted and skilled as the Porshe enginers, but since they started with a better chassis design have had less work to do to achive similar results. (and you have to admit untill recently made signifcantly better handling cars). There is also the old story of Ferrari never paying much attention to the road cars, and spending the majority of time on the race cars, Im sure as a company they are passed that, but you have to wonder if prehaps some of the that company culture has survived.
I disagree, if they started with a better chassis design and their cars dont handle as well as today's Porsches, they're clearly not doing very well

i also dont agree that until recently Ferrari made significantly better handling cars. A 964 beats a 348, the Testarossa was a pig. Are there any mainstream 70's Ferrari's that beat the original 2.7 RS?
Old 02-02-2003, 02:09 PM   #82
BlOOe46
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to BlOOe46
Quote:
Originally posted by crayzayjay

Now it makes sense... you're one of those drag racing people. ok, well let me tell you, drag man, i dont know how fast the Modena does the quarter mile in. i dont care. it's so unimportant i shouldnt be replying to this. And im sorry, but you dont know what "track" means. track doesnt mean a straight road. it means a twisty one... you know, the road kinda curves one side, then the other? Well, on this road, the Modena is faster than the NSX and takes a poo all over the sh*tty Z06. The NSX is an outstanding car. The Modena even more so. The Z06 is a good car but falls way short. sorry to burst your bubble, but Americans should really cane these cars around a track and then sum them up. Crap cars like the Z28 only sell in countries like America 'cos you guys have straight roads. If a European manufacturer released a car that looked or drove like the Z28 they would be laughed at and shamed for ever. It really is that bad. please dont see this as an anti america thing. actually the american manufacturers should be praised for the cheap prices at which you guys get your cars. but when it comes to making cars handle, the americans are at least a decade behind
hey, buddy, u think u know american cars? http://chuckb.1le.net/tmp/germany2.wmv

stock camaro setup, all i gotta say
Old 02-02-2003, 02:32 PM   #83
crayzayjay
CFA

The file is taking too long to load, i only have a 56k. ive been waiting 5 mins and ive only seen 10 secs so if you could just brief me on what happens in it that would be best.

If there's one thing i know about the camaro, its that it has pretty average handling, and thats being nice.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:43 AM   #84
BlOOe46
AF Enthusiast

its basically video of a skilled driver who came on an m3 message board a while back because he was tired of people on the forum dissing on how american cars have no handling

the video is basically him handing porsche driver's their asses in a camaro
Old 02-03-2003, 08:16 AM   #85
Deakins
AF Enthusiast

The video shows a experienced race driver in his race tuned 400hp 1LE Z28 passing a Audi TT, Porsche Boxter, a Z3 coupe, a 3-series and an old Carrera.
Old 02-03-2003, 12:21 PM   #86
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

note...

race tuned...
so it's not stock, right?

the susp has probably been worked over if it makes 400 hp...

hmm...
Old 02-03-2003, 01:29 PM   #87
crayzayjay
CFA

hmmm.. i thought you said it was stock.. a 400bhp race tuned car in an experienced racer's hands? Im glad it was able to overtake TT's and Z3's, and "old" Carreras; it might have been more than a little embarassing if it hadnt!

"Stock" means untouched, from the factory.
Old 02-03-2003, 08:38 PM   #88
Fliquer
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Fliquer
I'd get the NSX. They only cost 80k new (and since they arent very popular anymore, you can get a much better deal if you haggle). With the extra 40k I saved, I'd totally MUGEN-IZE it
Urethane bushings in all control arms and subframe
Cone Filter
Next up: LSD

RIP #05
Old 02-05-2003, 12:07 PM   #89
BlOOe46
AF Enthusiast

umm ok, who said anything about race tuned?

to make that video, he was using a stock camaro z28 1le making roughly ~350bhp

note: that is a STOCK camaro suspension, just like on any z28, all the anti-american car guys really dont understand the fact that american cars CAN and DO outhandle european/japanese cars
Old 02-05-2003, 12:20 PM   #90
Deakins
AF Enthusiast

Have you looked at his homepage?