Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 08:01 PM   #1
Ibaneezer
AF Regular

Talking My First Motorcycle - Yam YZF-R1

I picked up a couple Tamiya 1/12 motorcycles at Hobby Lobby's last 1/2 price sale: A Yamaha R1 and a Kawasaki Ninja. I decided to build the R1 first to get the fell of building bikes and I dont really want to muff up the Ninja.

I started this model a couple of weeks ago when I moved into my new apartment. Dry fitting went well and everything fit like a dream. So far this has been a very enjoyable build. Painting has been a pain at times, but also lots of fun.

Some of the engine covers and stuff I finished detailing. W/ the black frame I decided to give the covers a little extra so they are flat metallic black instead of just flat back.

Some of the body parts with a couple coats of white. I figure one more wet coat of white and I'll be ready for red then black.

It's all about the detail right? Here's the chain, this took me a while but I think it worth it

Drilled brake rotors after paint. I might strip them down and re sand them cause they aren't really as smooth as I'd like.

I used Krylon Real Chrome for the wheels. What do you guys do to polish out chrome paint? I have a couple of spots that aren't really smooth and I dont want to put on another coat.

I work with most of my parts on bamboo skewers, which I learned from building Gundams. It works pretty well and I can reuse the skewers because I use Tacky glue balls on the end. You just stick the part on, paint, pull the part off, and stick the next peice on. I've also got a couple skewers w/ gator clamps on the end for quick jobs or big peices.

I seriously f*ed up on this one. I wanted to go with the satin black frame and I didn't take the chrome off before I painted the black so now I have to strip the paint and then strip the chrome. It sucks balls
Your life is the sum of a remainder of an unbalanced equation inherent to the programming of the matrix. You are the eventuality of an anomaly, which despite my sincerest efforts I have been unable to eliminate from what is otherwise a harmony of mathematical precision. While it remains a burden assiduously avoided, it is not unexpected, and thus not beyond a measure of control. Which has led you, inexorably, here.
Ibaneezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 12:36 AM   #2
Slipknot
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Slipknot Send a message via MSN to Slipknot Send a message via Yahoo to Slipknot
Thats Awesome i need one of those
Old 09-08-2003, 03:29 AM   #3
ex-r
AF Enthusiast

Looking good so far. What color is it going to be?
ex-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 08:24 AM   #4
EMAXX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to EMAXX Send a message via MSN to EMAXX
That is looking awesome. I love it. Keep us posted.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:31 PM   #5
Ibaneezer
AF Regular

Well, i'm going for the red white and black livery but I wanted to do something a little different. I'm going with a satin black frame and I probbably add some black to the bottom of the main cowling.

I put the frame, swingarm, brakes, and exhaust in brake fluid and stripped the black paint off. Then to get the rest of the chrome plate off the frame I put it in a bath of bleach. Now that it's all down to bare plastic I can get it painted and start some of the assembly. I'll try and get more pics up asap.
Your life is the sum of a remainder of an unbalanced equation inherent to the programming of the matrix. You are the eventuality of an anomaly, which despite my sincerest efforts I have been unable to eliminate from what is otherwise a harmony of mathematical precision. While it remains a burden assiduously avoided, it is not unexpected, and thus not beyond a measure of control. Which has led you, inexorably, here.
Ibaneezer is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes