Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 03:28 AM   #1
brians cuda
AF Newbie

Question 73 cuda hemi project need help

Hi can anyone help me. I have bought a 73 barracuda with a small block and want to go hemi. Can this be done, do I need a new K member or is there a kit to convert to big block? I am in Australia so will need to find parts to bring to Oz.
brians cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:27 AM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: 73 cuda hemi project need help

Welcome to the forums!

I noticed you also posted this question in the Plymouth non -specific forum.
Usually we discourage members from starting duplicate threads on the same subject.

Many of our members, including maxwedge and MrPbody, really know their stuff on old performance cars..... I am sure they can provide some advice.

I believe the 6 cyl and V8 K-members were different. I will tentatively suggest your existing K-member will have to do, I'm pretty sure original Hemi K-members are simply not available.

There may be other mods for installation to ensure clearance. I believe the Hemi and 383 and 440 engines used stronger front springs than the smaller, LA block-equipped cars. Also, there were other chassis changes for the larger engines, too. I believe the right-side rear leaf spring pack had one more leaf than the left side , to control wheelspin. Hopefully others will chime in with ideas.

Last edited by MagicRat; 06-19-2009 at 09:04 AM.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:38 PM   #3
maxwedge
A990 racer

The trans will not work, you need a 727B also there are companies that make motor mount adapters that will fit the hemi to your existing k-frame, this is a big bucks undertaking!!!!
Old 06-19-2009, 03:16 PM   #4
brians cuda
AF Newbie

Thanks Maxwedge, can you suggest anyone who can supply the k frame mod kit? if there is one? As far as the trans I was aware I would need the 727 but what is the 727B, I assume different bolt pattern to match the Hemi, Maybe could make an adapter plate? I have looked at Magnum force website and see they make a frame with RHD rack and pinion to suit the Hemi. Still to find a suitable transmission. I also understand there are big $$ involved but bit by bit I will make it happen, "Famous last words" thanks Brian
Old 06-19-2009, 03:18 PM   #5
brians cuda
AF Newbie

Thanks for the tip Magicrat, I was not sure if I posted in the right place, will keep in mind next time, Brian
Old 06-19-2009, 07:23 PM   #6
maxwedge
A990 racer

Brian any of the Mopar performance mags out there have all the parts/advertisers you need to get this done, also headers or exhaust are expensive. The small block trans is no good for the Hemi, the 727B fits all the 426 Hemi's and raised blocks 426/440 wedges. I ran my pictured Max Wedge race car for 2 NHRA seasons with an aluminum ft end and crossram Hemi SS engine set up, I used the Hemi K member then as this was required.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:42 AM   #7
brians cuda
AF Newbie

Thanks Maxwedge, It's a big help. I have only just today found some one willing to sell me a 727 off the back of a 440, pretty close to home too. I do need to do a bit more homework before I start the project, thanks again. Brian

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars