Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35
Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35 Excellent platform and the good ol' VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-24-2002, 09:51 AM   #1
sebaxx
AF Newbie

Exclamation Whats The Difference???? Let Me Know Asap

hey i saw the spec. of the maxima 1995-1999 and says that the se and GLE has top speed 149 mph and the GXE 112? why? my caro has exactly the same engine.3.0 V6 24v dohc
sebaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 10:54 PM   #2
maximafever
AF Newbie

I am not exactly sure but when I told a dealer at a car lot that I did 140mph in my Max he told me that they are supposed to have a governor on them. It may be just in the GXE model.
maximafever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 12:04 AM   #3
DiS
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to DiS
I have '97 GXE and it has governor chip in it. Top that i was doing in it was around 125-128 mph, and then it felt like my max was in newutral, slowing down to 100mph. After it slowed down I got my gas pedal up and working again

97 Nissan Maxima GXE
Auto Trans
Red Injen Racing Division CAI with K&N FilterCharger, Zero1Racing Front Strut Bar
DaRk GrEeN/Beiege Interior
Cleared out taillights/Clear fronts/rewired blinkers and sidemarkers, upgraded grounding...Check my Pics out on my homepage

New purchase BRAND NEW '03 Mazda ProtegE 5-spd
Old 10-25-2002, 11:07 AM   #4
Paonessa
AF Fanatic

i have a 95 se 5 spd and i've had it up to 135 before with no loss of power. i just kinda chickened out. i was racing my friends 3.2 cl type s.
i think it's the ecu. if you get an aftermarket chip you won't have to worry about it topping out so low.
Paonessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 04:34 PM   #5
97wvmax
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 97wvmax
how can u tell the diff between gxe andgle, cuz its not on the papers for my car
97wvmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 04:47 PM   #6
Paonessa
AF Fanatic

gxe is base model. no stock fog lights, no leather seats, no bose 6 speaker stereo, no spoiler,no power seats, no white guages,no automatic, digital climate control.Gle is highest model, usually has leather seats and wood grain and all the other stuff i mentioned. My se has all factory options of a gle. The only reason i didn't get a Gle is because they won't come 5-speed. it cost an extra $3600 and i didn't even get the cold weather package. but all that stuffs worth it
Old 10-25-2002, 11:31 PM   #7
97wvmax
AF Enthusiast

anyway to get rid of that govenor chip?
Old 10-26-2002, 10:20 AM   #8
Paonessa
AF Fanatic

jim wolfe technology makes a chip and so does under pressure racing development. i think that would change where the engine is governed.
Old 10-26-2002, 11:15 PM   #9
97wvmax
AF Enthusiast

thats horseshit, y the hell is there a governor chip on the car? whoever made that decision should have their balls cutt off! u talkin bout the ecu upgrade?
Old 10-27-2002, 06:47 PM   #10
2maximas
AF Newbie

Here is the info you need to see what trim level you have and a statement about speed limiter.................

Only some 4th gen GXEs are limited. If you have an SE or GLE, you have no limiter. The only way to tell if you have one is to hit the road and see how fast you can go. If you have a limiter, your fuel will be cut off and the engine will drop to idle speed at about 115mph.
The 4th gen Maxima was offered in three trim levels for the US market:
GXE "The essential Maxima"
SE "The Sportiest Maxima"
GLE "The luxurious Maxima"

All trim levels have the same engine, so performance differences between them are pretty much nil. The best way to tell which trim level you have is to decode the VIN Plate. This is due to much part swapping and trim upgrading, even transmission swaps that can be done.

TO DECODE THE VIN PLATE:
Raise your hood. Look for a shiny metal identification tag fastened to the passenger side of firewall. The top row is the Vehicle Identification Number, starting with J. The second row is model information. The first five characters are BLHUL. The sixth character is the trim level designator, defined as follows:
E = GXE
G = GLE
V = SE

There are some feature differences that can help you determine the trim level on site. Keep in mind that most of these can be changed aftermarket by the owner, but as we know the VAST majority of Maximas on the street are bone stock...

GXE
Black guage faces
Cloth seats
Basic stereo (BOSE optional but extremely rare)
Probably no sunroof (optional but very rare)
Chrome outer windwow trim and door handles
5spd or Auto trans
No spoiler
No fog lights
Steel wheels with hubcaps
Chrome grill on 97-99 models
Manual A/C

SE
White guage faces
"Sport" Cloth or leather seats
Basic or BOSE stereo
May have sunroof