Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 09:44 AM   #1
bmanflyer
AF Newbie

2004 2 wd without the trailer hitch How do you install the trailer light harness?

My Dad has 2004 2wd without the trailer hitch. He has a small lawn trailer he pulls his lawn mower on ( ball on the bumper) and wants the trailer lights to work. I have looked for a harness to plug into the wiring on the rear of the truck but not having any luck. I have heard that the wiring is already there under the bumper and you just need a adapter harness to hook into it anyone know for sure.

I have not looked yet but will be going to his house this weekend and will look then to see what is there
bmanflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 12:12 PM   #2
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Re: 2004 2 wd without the trailer hitch How do you install the trailer light harness?

The best deal is to go to the dealer and get a kit that just plugs in the wiring that is on it..
Or sometime parts places have the plug in kits.
Do not use splice in plugs unless you have to.
Water and moisture gets into the wiring and splices on them.
Good luck
MT
Old 04-25-2007, 12:32 PM   #3
rjeffery
AF Regular

Re: 2004 2 wd without the trailer hitch How do you install the trailer light harness?

When I bought my truck it had a round plug installed in place of one of the license plate lights. I guess the previous owner did this install, so I don't know how it is wired, but it is a very clean place to install the plug.
K&N FIPK, Cat Back Exhaust, Rancho RSX Shocks, Silverstar Headlights High & Low, Infinity Reference Door Speakers & 10" Dual Voice Coil Sub. 265/75/16 BFG AT/KO's, Spray-In Bed Liner, Hella FF75 Fog Lights, Hella FF75 Driving Lights.
rjeffery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:08 PM   #4
masapell
AF Regular

There should be a page in the Owner's Manual dedicated to the trailer wiring. I had to add a 6 pin connector to mine. The wires are right under the truck, near the rear bumper. I believe they were taped together in electrical tape, with the ends capped off. The manual gives the color coding for each wire. I used butt connectors and electrical tape to seal it all up.

Sincerely,

Matt
Old 04-25-2007, 01:24 PM   #5
bmanflyer
AF Newbie

Thanks Guys

I just got back from looking at the truck and there is a round 6 or 7 pin connector on top of the spare tire that i think is the plug for the trailer lights. If I can just find an adatpter harness or plug it will be no problem , Now I just need to figure out were to mount the plug
bmanflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 03:20 PM   #6
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

If that one is wires up and working good.
They make adapter plugs.
Check your local parts house that has trailer plugs.
Also they may have a bracket for mounting the plug.
Under bumper out of road is a good place.
Good luck
Old 04-27-2007, 07:49 AM   #7
silverado122775
AF Enthusiast

You can buy a adapter at any auto part store. What I did was drilled a hole into the back on the bumper and mounted that way. I went through a couple of hole bits, before getting through it, but Looks stock and do not have to worry about anything hitting or breaking it off.

2000 Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N GenII Air Intake, Y-pipe Exhaust (no muffler), Bosch Platnium +4 plugs, 242k miles and still running.
silverado122775 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado