Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Avalon/Pronard
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 10:51 PM   #1
AvalonTruck
AF Newbie

ECT Power Button

Hey all! Could use some help. I have a 99' Avalon, and am having issues with the ECT power switch. It started a year ago, where it wouldn't turn on when I pushed the button. I happened to leave it engaged and at some point it came back on, so i left it on until i no longer needed it. (The extra power is helpful for towing.) After that, it seemed to only want to engage after about 30 minutes of driving. I was OK with that, but now I am back to it not turning on again... it's not respecting the normal warmup arrangement that we'd developed. Thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited by AvalonTruck; 11-28-2011 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Incorrect verbiage on the Title, my fault
AvalonTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
jdmccright
The RustBuster

Re: ECT Power Button

Two possibilities I can think of:

1) The button itself is not working correctly. Either the contacts inside have become oxidized or the wires have broken or a bad ground. As the weather gets colder, things shrink and connections may lose contact internally.

2) The issue is seasonal. You stated it started about a year ago, as it is getting colder. The transmission takes longer to warm up in the winter, so it will not shift normally until the minimum coolant temp has been reached.

The button really just changes the shift points higher in the RPMs where the engine is making more power.

There may be more, but that's what I got so far for you to start with.
Hope this helps!
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:29 PM   #3
AvalonTruck
AF Newbie

Both of those sound reasonable enough. I'm not looking forward to taking the center console trim off again (grumble grumble), as i fear someday i'll over-torque it and break it. However, it is a good start, and it's by far a better first step than an expensive tranny repair. You could be completely correct in the seasonal issue. If I remember correct, and I probably don't, i think it stopped working last winter and started the warmup scenario in spring. i suppose while i'm at it i'll check the tranny fluid level too. Was a little sluggish the first time I put it in drive after a good 4 day holiday sit. Yeah, ECT does come in real handy going up steep hills with a lawn tractor or two on a trailer, or a load of lumber. I do use it occasionally to get extra power from the "starting gate" of rush hour too. heh heh. I'll report back if I find a cure for the ailment. Thanks for the advise, I appreciate it!
Old 06-23-2014, 07:26 PM   #4
AvalonTruck
AF Newbie

Well, i went to the junkyard and found a matching switch. Installed it, and same results. I changed routes to work, and found that a really hard bump in the road caused the ECT to engage for a while... long story short, i found the problem. It was the bulb in the dash. I swapped it temporarily with the light and socket intended for the cruise control indicator, and it worked flawless, so i smashed the bad bulb with pliers and pulled it out by it's internal wires... you pretty much have to do it that way because of the design of the twist-in socket. The local parts store tried to match it but apparently they don't carry the recommended minibulb, but the bulb aisle yielded a close enough fit, and the new bulb is in and working fine. Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to AvalonTruck For This Useful Post:
Brian R. (06-24-2014)