Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Avalon/Pronard
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
1999windstar
AF Newbie

2006 avalon suggestions

I am looking at buying a 2006 with 103000 miles. What problems should I look for before I buy it? How hard is the this car to work on? I like to do my own oil changes, and most maintainence. Is this a good car for the do it your self person?
1999windstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
ijpom
AF Newbie

Re: 2006 avalon suggestions

We have had a 2006 Avalon for a year now, and since it was passed down to us from my in-law, we know the complete history of the car.
The car handles great, and has good road fuel economy (28+ MPG) and power on the highway, but we get only moderate economy in the city (21 MPG). It is also very comfortable for tall people, and it is the rare car that allows me too sit in any of the 4 main seats with lots of leg and head room.
Our car has only 56K miles so I can't tell you anything about the upcoming 105k or 120K service intervals. It did have a bunch of recalls (gas pedal, assorted minor hoses, etc) and also a warranty fix of the power steering pump before it got into our hands.
You said your interested in doing the oil changes and maintenance, so I will tell you that my biggest peeve with the vehicle has been it's 'procedure' for oil changes. First up the car is low, and despite my long arms and narrow frame this is the only car we own that requires either jack stands, ramps or a pit to perform a regular oil change. Secondly, it has a cartridge filter, and thirdly it requires a special tool to undo the cartridge. Fourthly, the special tool has a tapered hex connection that has no standard size and thus I use a 10" adjustable wrench to turn the special tool. It also expects you to drain the cartridge before unscrewing the cartridge, thus creating an extra step for your convenience.
Despite the peeve, I'd recommend one as a good handling large sedan for effortless cruising miles on the highway.

Last edited by ijpom; 09-30-2012 at 05:43 PM. Reason: typo
ijpom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
1999windstar
AF Newbie

Re: 2006 avalon suggestions

Thanks for the reply. We are still looking.
1999windstar is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Avalon/Pronard