Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 05:37 PM   #1
bakerd
AF Newbie

Ses

I asked the dealer to order a crankshaft position sensor for my 2000 xterra. he said that you have to order the whole distributor and you couldnt replace just the sensor itself. is that true? according to the chiltons you can replace it. the error code that i got was for the CPS. can anyone help me out? also i looked all around the back of the transmission housing and i couldnt find where it is? anything to help would appreciated...
bakerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 11:23 PM   #2
chubbybubba1
AF Regular

Re: Ses

If you have the 3.3 The crankshaft position sensor(OBD) is located on the transaxle housing facing the gear teeth (cogs) of the flywheel or drive plate. Looking at the picture, if you were lying under the X on the left or driver's side behind the front left wheel, look up the left side of the tranny and it looks to sit at the 11 o'clock position up around the bell housing. It sits forward(to the front of the X) of the 2nd heated O2 sensor. It has a two wire weather pack connector. One is black and white striped the other is color coded "L", whatever the hell that color is! Also could be an open or short between the ECM and or the TCM. It looks to be cylindrical and 2"-3" long and about 1/2" around.
With the connector branching off in an "L" position.

Now if your camshaft position sensor was bad, then yes, you have to replace the distributor, minus the cap and rotor. But for the crankshaft sensor, no mention of dist. replacement is made.
chubbybubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 11:55 PM   #3
chubbybubba1
AF Regular

Found out "L" is wire color blue. According to the schematic, one blue wire and a black/white wire. You should be able to see these colors at the base of the connector.
chubbybubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 01:04 AM   #4
bakerd
AF Newbie

after 2 weeks waiting for the part to arrive here in hawaii i went to try and install it today. i looked for 2 hours with 2 different guys and we couldnt find the sensor anywhere. looking in the chiltons and off chubbys advice we still couldnt find it. i know this is asking a lot but is there anymore info at all on finding this stupid sensor? i really dont want to take it in to the dealer. also you said you were looking at a picture, what kind of picture are you looking at? thanks again
Old 04-27-2005, 08:39 AM   #5
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffroadX

OffroadX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 02:00 PM   #6
bakerd
AF Newbie

thanks bro

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail