Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 10:50 PM   #1
spidereddie
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to spidereddie Send a message via Yahoo to spidereddie
how to:quick/easy window trim

ok so I know there are some How to's for blacking the window trim (rubbers). Although those tutorials give the best looking results, it is cumbersome for me to have to cut out the mask, set up my airbrush, paint it and then touch it up.

So there's a short cut.
Dislcaimer: This is my first how-to so I'm sorry if I'm unclear, too specific, too general or just plain wrong. I also hope no one has done this how-to yet.

This way will obviously not give you as professional results, but it will do the trick if you just want to get it done and put your work up on the shelf (or if you don't have an airbrush or just too lazy to use one)

first things first...supplies

semiflat black paint, a brush, and a black sharpie (fine soft-tip)

The first and most important thing to do is to use the sharpie to black the edges of the window trim. This is the tricky part. Use the plastic to guide your marker, but remember to apply a little pressure to get an even line. But not too much pressure as to not be able to go along with the raised edge.

notice the plastic is raised..this will be our 'guard rail'

now we go along the plastic nice and smooth and let the marker and the plastic do the work

Don't black out the entire the trim, just the edges, the rest will be done with paint and a brush. The marker was just used to make a nice crisp edge without having to get brush anywhere near it.

Now use the brush to fill in the rest...being careful not to go close to the edge of the trim we just marked. We all know how straight a line we can paint with a brush!

depending on how much sharpie you used and covered with the brush, you might have your window trim a little shinnier than you want...if that's the case then you can always apply a coat of dull clear to flatten it out. Just be careful not to dull the body.

Once again this is just intended on helping out those who are not shooting for show quality. But as you can see it's not very noticeable when viewed as part of the whole car.

The actual clear plastic windows were done in the same way, this however was done on the underside of the window where the trim edges where raised.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:02 PM   #2
JBarry
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to JBarry Send a message via Yahoo to JBarry
Re: how to:quick/easy window trim

COOLNESS!!

Thanks.

J. Barry
Old 02-09-2004, 05:47 AM   #3
primera man
"P-Man"

Send a message via AIM to primera man

Current Build.....1/12 Scale Camaro......Almost finished!!!

View All My Models Here.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:09 AM   #4
Vric
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Vric Send a message via MSN to Vric Send a message via Yahoo to Vric

With a Gundam Marker you just need to do the panel line, once made, it's very easy to have a steady line

btw I use the same paint.. if you make mistake, it's easy to remove wet or dry
Old 02-09-2004, 09:09 AM   #5
ywwong
AF Enthusiast

lol i have been using this method for a while.