Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 11:02 AM   #1
heimlevi
AF Newbie

passenger side axle removal

IM ABOUT TO TACKLE THE JOB MYSELF AND WOULD LIKE A FEW POINTERS. i AM BUYING A REMAN AXLE SHAFT. i KNOW THAT IT GOES THROUGH THE MOTOR MOUNT BUT WHAT BOLTS DO I LOOSEN TO GET IT SEPERATED FROM THERE? ONCE I GET THE HUB NUT OFF AND GET IT DISCONECTED FROM MOUNT IT SHOULD SLIDE OUT OF THE TRANSAXLE CORRECT?
THANKS, ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED(IM SURE SOMEONE ELSE HAS DONE THIS BEFORE)
heimlevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 06:56 PM   #2
300+
AF Regular

Re: passenger side axle removal

I would not say slide out. It will come out of the hub easy enough. They can be very tough to get through the mount though. They need to be pried out of the tranny. Big screwdriver or bar. Tough if you are working on ramps or jacks. There is a locking bolt on that mount to loosen the bearing. WD 40 needed. It is ususlly rusted in there. I've talked to mechanics that used an air chisel with a blunt end (they don't sell them) to push out the bearing through mount. Most mechanics and dealers will swap them for you with your part. 1- 1 1/2 hours labor if you get stuck. Toyota is about $90 or so for that side if I remember.
Hopefully some else has had a better experiece with that side and can give a better clue.
300+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 09:47 PM   #3
ProMan
AF Regular

Re: passenger side axle removal

I'm not sure what year is yours. But I think the design should be similar -- on passenger side, the driveshaft is attached to a extension shaft, not directly into the differeitial. On my 88 Camry, after you loose the spindle nut, you can take off 6 nuts on the inner side. Then, slowly turn the driveshaft, you can just slide the inner end out and pull the shaft out from the steering knuckle.

If your driveshaft goes into the tranny directly, then you need to separate the steering knuckle and the lower control arm (2 bolts) so you can swing the knuckle out to get enough space to pull the driveshaft out. For inner end, you need something to slightly pry on it to get it out.
ProMan is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista