Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Durango
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 07:12 PM   #1
xFatcatx
AF Newbie

Looking into buying a Dodge Durango 99-02

So I am looking for a 7-passenger vehicle that is not a minivan. I was searching through craigslist and came across the durangos. My budget is $7500 max, and that seemed to put me around 99-02 years, I will not buy anything over 80k miles. Just wondering some feedback on these vehicles. My wife and I have 3 young boys ages 9months/3/5. Wondering about the room with the 3rd row seating, I havent ever sat in one or looked in one.

I read alot of reviews on kelley blue book and the good ones were really good, and well the bad ones were very bad. Alot of transmission issues, but I hesitate to take a lot of those reviews into consideration as I know most people do not know anything about transmissions and take them to untrustworthy shops.....The other cons were somewhat basic maintence like ball joints at 50k which is a little early and other front suspension things. The worst gripe was poor gas milage but that again could be due to not having proper maintence done etc...

Just looking for opinions and any advice as to maybe specific year/engine types. Would prefer a V6 if they make them rather than a V8. I will appreciate any responses.

Thanks
Joel
xFatcatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:01 PM   #2
DurangoDave
AF Regular

Re: Looking into buying a Dodge Durango 99-02

I think you'll find the 3rd row version to be adequately roomy.

I don't think you'll find them to be any worse maintenance-wise than similar vehicles of the same vintage...I personally owned a Ford Explorer, Chevy Blazer, and Dodge Durango at the same time and found them to be about equal in that regard.

And yes, they are very thirsty.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:03 PM   #3
xFatcatx
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoDave View Post
I think you'll find the 3rd row version to be adequately roomy.

I don't think you'll find them to be any worse maintenance-wise than similar vehicles of the same vintage...I personally owned a Ford Explorer, Chevy Blazer, and Dodge Durango at the same time and found them to be about equal in that regard.

And yes, they are very thirsty.
Thanks dave. I have owned 2 ford explorers a 98' sport and 99' sport and do all of my own repairs/maintence so with a haynes and forum help I dont think I will run into to much I cannot fix on my own.

Anyone else?
Old 02-16-2009, 10:23 PM   #4
xFatcatx
AF Newbie

Not much life in this forum eh? I think I will be looking at the 00-02's with rwd and the 4.7L if anyone has any input? We dont need much for city driving and the occasional storm here once a year in portland.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:49 AM   #5
2000izusu
AF Regular

the 4.7L has the better transmission. it has the 45rfe/545rfe which is a way better unit than the 5.2L/5.9L had! just make sure the 4.7L you get has good maintenance records! and then after you get it decarbon the motor and do tune up and that sort of thing! mike
2001 caravan 3.3 auto
1995&1992&1994 camry 2.2L SOLD
1991 silverado 1500 SOLD
2000 rodeo SOLD
2000izusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:07 AM   #6
xFatcatx
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000izusu View Post
the 4.7L has the better transmission. it has the 45rfe/545rfe which is a way better unit than the 5.2L/5.9L had! just make sure the 4.7L you get has good maintenance records! and then after you get it decarbon the motor and do tune up and that sort of thing! mike
Thank you. I have a little more time than I thought now so I can spend more time looking. Hopefully will get something from a private seller "1 owner" type thing, something that a "mom" or older couple owned. Autozone is always my first stop when I buy a car since I have never bought anything brand new, Hanes manuel and standard tune up than I will check brakes/everything else out etc. What do you mean by "decarbon" the motor, I am somewhat mechanically enclined but I do not know anything about that.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:58 PM   #7
2000izusu
AF Regular

if the vehicle was used for short trips the 4.7L can build up carbon. some people use seafoam (or top engine clean) to decarbon a motor. there are directions all over youtube, just search seafoam. mike
2001 caravan 3.3 auto
1995&1992&1994 camry 2.2L SOLD
1991 silverado 1500 SOLD
2000 rodeo SOLD
2000izusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:02 PM   #8
mwid73
AF Newbie

I bought my wife an '02 Durango SXT with the 4.7L in the spring of '04 with 35,000 miles on it. Overall, we've been pretty pleased with it. Here's a short list of minor problems we've had with ours.

1. Replaced bad motor in front window.
2. Replaced faulty front brake caliper.
3. Replaced bad Throttle Position Sensor.

All easy do-it-yourself projects and by today's standards rather in-expensive parts. Oh, and of course the ball joint recall but that was free of charge. It's got 89,000 on it now and plan on runnin' her about 3 more years before finding a newer one.We also have gotten 19.5 mpg. on the highway since I put new plugs in at 75,000 miles, not too bad for a V8. I honestly don't feel these things are any more problematic than any other vehicle made today. I'm actually a Chevy guy at heart and even my beloved Silverado's have had there problems!

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents in case you're still looking. Good luck.
mwid73 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Durango