Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > 300C | SRT8
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 08:13 PM   #1
HDtransmission
AF Newbie

Angry Chrysler 300C Hemi transmission problems

On Dec 3, 2005 I took by Chrysler 300C to the car wash. The vehicle was operating fine going in the car wash, however, after they cleaned my car and I got in to leave the car wash, the vehicle would not go into gear so I could drive off. I then put it in reverse, but nothing. I removed the key from the ignition and cranked it up a 2nd time and the vehicle went into drive. I stopped at the first stop light and after the light changed to green, I tried to pull off, but nothing. I then removed the key from the ignition and reinserted the key, cranked the car and put it into drive and it moved forward at no more than 10 mph. I took the car directly to the dealer - Neuwirth Chrysler in Wilmington, NC and it has been there from Dec 3rd to Dec 28th 2005. The transmission is completely out of the car and they refuse to give me a car to drive while they are repairing my transmission. They plan to rebuild the transmission in this new 2006 Chrysler 300C Hemi with 7000 miles. Also, I learned that there is no way for the customer to check the transmission fluid because they purposefully did not design the car for it to have a transmission dip stick for the customer to check the transmission fluid like the dip stick to check the engine oil.

What should I do and has anyone else experienced a similar problem with their Chrysler 300C Hemi?

Please rely
HDtransmission is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HDtransmission For This Useful Post:
PaulRay18 (06-18-2017)
Old 01-07-2006, 03:37 PM   #2
tch1717
AF Newbie

Re: Chrysler 300C Hemi transmission problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDtransmission
On Dec 3, 2005 I took by Chrysler 300C to the car wash. The vehicle was operating fine going in the car wash, however, after they cleaned my car and I got in to leave the car wash, the vehicle would not go into gear so I could drive off. I then put it in reverse, but nothing. I removed the key from the ignition and cranked it up a 2nd time and the vehicle went into drive. I stopped at the first stop light and after the light changed to green, I tried to pull off, but nothing. I then removed the key from the ignition and reinserted the key, cranked the car and put it into drive and it moved forward at no more than 10 mph. I took the car directly to the dealer - Neuwirth Chrysler in Wilmington, NC and it has been there from Dec 3rd to Dec 28th 2005. The transmission is completely out of the car and they refuse to give me a car to drive while they are repairing my transmission. They plan to rebuild the transmission in this new 2006 Chrysler 300C Hemi with 7000 miles. Also, I learned that there is no way for the customer to check the transmission fluid because they purposefully did not design the car for it to have a transmission dip stick for the customer to check the transmission fluid like the dip stick to check the engine oil.

What should I do and has anyone else experienced a similar problem with their Chrysler 300C Hemi?

Please rely

sorry to hear about your problems with the 300c (nice vehicle), i am a tech at a chryelr dealer in ontario, i have not ran across anything like your are describing, have ran into a few problems with electronic throttle control, but no real trans issues. you are right about the trans dipstick thoiugh, we have to have a special tool (supplied by chrysler), just to check it, so retarded !

good luck with your ride

tch1717
tch1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 06:54 PM   #3
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Re: Chrysler 300C Hemi transmission problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by tch1717
you are right about the trans dipstick thoiugh, we have to have a special tool (supplied by chrysler), just to check it, so retarded !
You are kidding me!

My desire to own one of these cars has just plummited.

I know that Chrysler has had past trouble with their transmissions , especially with people putting the wrong fluid in them (Dex III istead of ATF+4) so eliminating the dipstick prevents the unwashed masses from screwing it up, I guess.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:17 PM   #4
jeff compton
AF Newbie

There is a brand new recall out for transmission problems on new 300's, don't remember the number but if you call any dealer they'll know or be able to tell you if your vehicle is eligible. I work at a dealer in ontario canada and we're doing alot of the recalls, As well have seen high pressure washers from drive through car washs do some weird things to the sensors underneath cars
jeff compton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 07:16 PM   #5
nick0750
AF Newbie

the new recall is E14 it only applies to 42rle trans call your dealer with your vin like jeff stated you should find out no problem
Old 09-01-2009, 09:11 PM   #6
miami300c
AF Newbie

I know this reply is not timely, however, my wife's 300C Hemi had the same non-responsive actions (7/31/09) while putting the transmission in gear. This occurred three months from the time the dealer performed a 32K mile transmission tune up. After Chrysler finally agreed to share in the cost of re-manufactured transmission, I learned the mechanic indicated the trans was contaminated with water. Since there is no way for the customer to access the trans fluid, I asked how could water get in. The dealer told me my wife must have driven through a puddle of water. They took no responsibility for their recent tune up as a possible cause. After keeping the vehicle for three weeks, we finally got it back after paying $1,800 and exactly 6 days later the gear selector locked up. The dealer then told me that their installation of the remanned transmission 6 days prior had nothing to do with the gear selector.
miami300c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:50 AM   #7
hundahunta
AF Enthusiast

the water is leaking in due to the evaporator drain tube. the water leaks down the trans and past the dipstick filler tube....the shifter assembly failing is very common, failed shift interlock solenoid..
hundahunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:00 AM   #8
ronandav
AF Newbie

My 2006 Chrysler 300 C had transmission failure in third gear causing necessity to replace transmission at a cost of $4400. Car had only 58,000 miles. This is a Mercedes transmission and one of the best features of the car. Unlucky me as I have not abused the car. Anyone else had this problem?
ronandav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:17 AM   #9
hundahunta
AF Enthusiast

it depends on what caued the failure....water entering the transmission on these vehicles are very common....its a design flaw in the vehicle..The NAG1 transmissions are very reliable....
hundahunta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hundahunta For This Useful Post:
PaulRay18 (06-18-2017)
Old 01-05-2010, 01:47 PM   #10
YourWhip.com
AF Newbie

My Trans Cap went bad on me twice
YourWhip.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:57 PM   #11
YourWhip.com
AF Newbie

Has anyone else ever had this Problem? Any Ideas on how to resolve it?
Show of your whip 24/7
http://yourwhip.com
YourWhip.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:58 PM   #12
99onI95
AF Regular

Mercedes transmission, huh? That figures. I also have my airbag light on due to the passenger seat sensor. Oh wait, I had that exact same problem with my Mercedes -- $700. It seems like the Chrysler components are fine, but the Mercedes components fall apart.

I own or have owned:
98 Ram Air firebird-WS6 hood and rear decklid, WS6/C5 vette rims, etc.
03 SRT 4-3'' exhaust, short throw, injectors, matte black
E36 convertible BMW-05 17'' BMW wheels
02 Volvo S60 AWD turbo-Stock
00 Audi A6 4.2L V8 Quattro-Potenzas, straight pipes
03 C240 Benz 4matic-stock
04 2.5rs Impreza
05 Chrysler 300C HEMI
04 GSXR-Power commander, K&N, gears, crash cage, suspension, LED tail
99onI95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:54 PM   #13
drm2670
AF Newbie

I had a pretty scary moment w/ the car yesterday. I drove onto the freeway (4 lane's each way) in Chicago. When I was going down the ramp, I started to merge. I had to punch the throttle to get ahead of a car. Right when I punched the throttle, the transmission started to slip. After about 2 seconds, the car wasn't moving. It was in drive, but I was revving the engine like it was in neutral. Then, I hear a ding. I looked down on my dashboard and saw the engine light turn on. I was pretty much a sitting duck, because I was in the middle lane, and cars were zipping past me on both sides, and there was basically no curb on the freeway- just cement walls. My car was just coasting, so I put it into neutral, and then a few seconds later, I put it into drive. I hit the accelorator, and the transmission was still slipping, but then finally caught and I was able to drive. I thought I was going to get into an accident for sure, because I had no power in the center lane in busy (fast) traffic on the freeway in Chicago, and there was no curb to go to.

I took it to the dealer (pretty pissed off since they just looked at the transmission last week). They looked at it again, and saw that the gear shift ratio was off, and then they found a leak in the transmission. They said that the transmission fluid was basically empty (seems like they should have caught that last week). Anyways, at least they caught the problem and fixed it. However, I'm a little scared to drive it, because I lost power at the worst possible time. the car has only 9,000 miles on it. I'm thinking of getting rid of it for sure. Sorry Chrysler fans, but it's to dangerous for me to drive, especially since I have a daughter.
drm2670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:47 PM   #14
99onI95
AF Regular

I woke up this morning to a garage floor bathed in tranny fluid. Needless to say, after this is fixed, I'm selling it.

I own or have owned:
98 Ram Air firebird-WS6 hood and rear decklid, WS6/C5 vette rims, etc.
03 SRT 4-3'' exhaust, short throw, injectors, matte black
E36 convertible BMW-05 17'' BMW wheels
02 Volvo S60 AWD turbo-Stock
00 Audi A6 4.2L V8 Quattro-Potenzas, straight pipes
03 C240 Benz 4matic-stock
04 2.5rs Impreza
05 Chrysler 300C HEMI
04 GSXR-Power commander, K&N, gears, crash cage, suspension, LED tail
99onI95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:49 AM   #15
corkysmommy
AF Newbie

I have a 2006 300C and a few weeks after we got it, with only 1,500 miles on it....it was late at night and we were 25 miles from home. I hit the gas and the car just coasted. It just sounded like the engine was revving. Finally it clicked into gear and wouldn't go above 2nd gear or about 25MPH. All the lights lit up on the dashboard. Of course nobody at the dealership so we drove home in the slow lane on the freeway going 25. We must have looked stupid to everyone with this hemi engine going 25. Anyway, took it in to the dealer and they told me (and my husband) that there was water in the transmission. Their explanation of it was that some Yahoo on the assembly line ran the A/C condenser hose into the tranny. Everytime we turned on the A/C, water was trickling into the tranny. Don't know if that is the truth or not, but the dealership REPLACED it. I told them i wouldn't accept a rebuilt one and that it had to be new. after some haggling, they agreed to do it. it has been ok since, but we don't put many miles on it. had it now for 5 years and have 40k on it. NOTE: i was also told that the reason the car dropped down to 25MPG was the computer. if it senses a problem, it gives you minimum power as to not make the problem worse so you can get help.

I did have another problem last year. I was parked head first in a parking space at church and when i went the backup, the car wouldn't go in reverse. The gear shifter wouldn't move. tried the first trick of disassembling cover to over ride and that didn't work. only after i was told about another over ride on it, could i get it going. i managed to get home and then they towed it. it was still under warranty so it didn't cost anything. but i feel that people should know so if they have the same problem, they don't feel they are the only on.e
corkysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > 300C | SRT8