Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 07:06 PM   #1
dressedACCORDingly
AF Newbie

yet ANOTHER..lowering my car.

I'm wanting to lower my car..i know Honda's are a little bit higher than some others..so would I be okay to lower my car 2 inches without having too much trouble with scrapes & what not? Also..if I want to lower it 2 inches, how many inches should my springs me? THANKS FOR THE HELP!
dressedACCORDingly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 08:12 PM   #2
SenseiAccord
AF Enthusiast

Re: yet ANOTHER..lowering my car.

2 inches would be a good height but u will definitely scrape on most things... thats if u arent careful. U are also gonna need to fix that camber of urs when u do it. If u wanna lower ur car 2" then look for springs with a 2" drop. If u are going all for looks and stuff then get coilovers. U can drop it as low as u want or even keep it near stock height. If u dont give a crap about looks and just wanna drop the car a lil bit for more stability while keeping ride comfort and all that stuff like me then go for the neuspeed drop springs. lowers about 1.5-1.75". But yea i sport the tokico drop springs 1.25" drop and it is barely noticable unless its next to a stock accord. but yea just an idea to get ur feet wet
SenseiAccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 09:43 PM   #3
dressedACCORDingly
AF Newbie

basically i haven't ever done ANYTHING to my car before..and have just started looking at things to do to it. I really like how the cars look when they are lower than stock, and I want something that's not going to give me too much trouble as far as riding around goes, just for the fact like i said..i've never done anything before. So I want to drop it at a nice, but safe height and whatever will give me a smoothe ride still. Thanks so much for the advice, I'll definitely be taking it into consideration!
Old 06-24-2004, 04:10 AM   #4
SenseiAccord
AF Enthusiast

first of all... no prob with the advice.

second of all... pretty much the lower u lower ur car the more the ride quality suffers. Some coilovers over a rough ride... but i heard skunk2 and ground control coilovers still over a comfortable ride... also that H&R dual spring coilovers too but i havent seen some for accords yet (havent really looked for it tho). Usually if u want a good ride quality, then drop springs are what u wanna look for. Drop springs offer a good ride but they arent as good for handling compared to coilovers... since they are more stiffer... but they do improve handling over stock. If i were u i would get drop springs... but try to look for the desired drop u want first.
SenseiAccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 09:07 AM   #5
dressedACCORDingly
AF Newbie

does eibach carry drop springs?
Old 06-24-2004, 10:36 AM   #6
jordans30
AF Newbie

Yes, they do. They have the Pro-Kit, which drops you around 1.5", and the Sportlines, which drop you around 2". I recently got the Pro-Kit, and have Koni shocks, an Eibach anti-roll kit, and 18" rims with 215/40-18s on order. If you like, I'll be glad to post the results when I get it all installed...
jordans30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 03:23 PM   #7
dressedACCORDingly
AF Newbie

that would be great if you could post your results. As i have said in my previous posts, I'm new to the whole "hooking my car up". So basically I have no idea what the shocks or anti-roll kit is going to do. I'm going to look it up when I get off here, but I guess I need all the help & advice I can get. I also wasn't too sure what the whole "215/40-18s" meant. I TOTALLY understand if you don't feel like going into detail with what all this stuff means. But thanks so much for the post you already put up!
Old 06-24-2004, 04:05 PM   #8
jordans30
AF Newbie

You are most welcome! Rest assured, I am by no means a seasoned pro when it comes to tuning..I have done a lot of comparison shopping and listening to other peoples' posts - easiest way to learn is to pay attention and read everything you can, as well as ask questions if you don't know something... It's the way we all learn this stuff.

The anti-roll kit prevents the car's chassis from flexing when turning sharp corners, etc. It's basically 2 metal bars that (easily) attach underneath the car to reinforce the flex points and make the structure more rigid. In a very general sense, kinda like a strut bar for the frame...

The tires I spoke of are low profile, wider, sport wheels on a rim that is 3" larger in diameter than stock. With the lowering kit and the shocks I spoke of, I am expecting drastic improvements in the looks/feel/cornering ability/rigidity of the car. I'll let you know as things progress, and if I have any troubles for you to look out for. If not, I just dropped a ****load of money for no reason.

If anyone else out there has opinions or guidance concerning my future setup, please speak up and let me know of any issues that I may be unaware of (like the need for camber kits, or the like)...
Old 06-24-2004, 08:49 PM   #9
skubydobdo
AF Regular

Hey guys, here to lend a helping hand. Dressedaccordingly, the 215/40/18 thing means pretty much what jordans said, but I can clear that up even more for you. the "215" mean the tire is 215 mm wide, as in 21.5 centimeters. The "40" means that the tire height, as in thickness, is 40% of the width, with the 18 meaning the rim it will fit is 18 inches tall. The Eibach sportline springs that were mentioned is what you're looking for, it will keep your accord from having the 4x4 look that it has from the factory. When you lower your car, the tires (front especially) will lean inwards, causing greater wear on the inside of your tires. This is where a camber kit is needed. It corrects the lean and you will have even wear like at stock height. I have the Eibach sportlines on my car with a camber kit and it works beautifully. The other thign you need to worry about is replacing the stock shocks. They are designed for stock ride-height and if you keep the stock shocks, you will have a very bouncy ride. I have Koni blue shocks and the car feels very smooth all the time with the added bonus of quicker cornering.
skubydobdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 09:48 AM   #10
dressedACCORDingly
AF Newbie

thanks so much for your suggestions and advice. So basically now, I am concentrating on finding an eibach pro kit, as well as camber kit and koni shocks. Now the big thing...if i'm getting an underbody, should I lower it before i get it..or get the underbody and then lower it..or does it matter? I'm not sure where the bulbs fit in, or how low they may go. Also, should I lower the car before I get rims or vice versa? THANKS again so much for the help. There aren't too many other girls around here who do stuff to their cars, and you know how guys can be kind of overpowering so..thanks again
Old 06-25-2004, 11:48 AM   #11
skubydobdo
AF Regular

The best thing to do is get rims, then bodykit, then the drop. It's important to do things in that order so you can see with the rims on exactly what kind of drop you need. The new wheels and tires may be taller or shorter overall than the stock ones, so then you can see exactly how much to lower it. Also, getting the body kit on before the drop will let you see if you'll be scrapin in on the ground anywhere. The Koni shocks are good and not overpriced. There are some really expensive ones out there, but you'd only need them if you were hardcore into the track scene.
skubydobdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 03:35 PM   #12
jordans30
AF Newbie

Hmmm.. I went about things a little differently. I managed to get everything at the same time (minus the ground effects kit) - pretty expensive, but oh well...there went my savings account! Anyways, I figured it this way - The drop kit is going on first (stock height on oversized rims/tires looks horrible!) then, the tires/rims. I can see if you put the wheels on first, as long as you have the $ in hand to immediately get the drop kit... Next comes the shocks. Ground effects last - that way, I can see exactly how much clearance I have and compare it to the drop of the ground effects kit. If I had only one thing to do first, I'd most likely drop the car - that way, you can tell how big of a rim/tire to go with (these may also raise/lower the car).

Just spoke to my POC for the suspension - apparently, 99 Accord sedans are made with enough space to go with a 50-series tire before you exceed the fenderwell (shouldn't rub at all until you hit 225 or over). As far as the camber kit goes, 215-40-18's will set you at the upper factory limit of negative camber (tire lean) before you need the alignment kit - but it is still good to have one, just in case. I made an adjustment and got a kit from Ingalls (adjustable rear control arms and front balljoints) instead of Eibach - Ingalls manufactures their own kits, unlike Eibach, and you can contact manufacturing/tech support directly. Eibach is a 3rd-party vendor for their camber kits, it seems. Ingalls is a little more pricey ($100 or so over Eibach for both), but if I get into a jam I need more than another phone # to call...

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid