Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Santa Fe > MY 01-06
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 01:58 AM   #1
jhansen
AF Newbie

Unhappy Engine shuts off while driving

I helped my daughter buy a 2003 Santa Fe 3 months ago. Her engine has now shut off 6 times while she is driving (one time on the freeway). The dealer claims they can't find the problem and wants her to not restart her engine and have the car towed. I told her no way to stay in the middle of the road like a sitting duck. Is anyone else having this problem......any ideas?
jhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 09:04 AM   #2
twospirits
Ex-Janitor of AF

Re: Engine shuts off while driving

I'm no mechanic but, If it stops while driving it sounds like the auto shut off feature to the fuel line that most cars have in case of an accident, or it could also be that the ETACS is sending a signal out to the vehicles immobilizer control system unit.
But it could also be just that you may have water in your fuel filter. It could be any number of things, but regardless I would not have taken the vehicle back if it happened more than once. I would tell them either they get it fixed or you will start proceedings in regard to lemon laws. Its your daughter or who ever is driving the vehicle at the time that is at risk and an engine stopping just like that while driving is a major safety issue. So I would leave it at the dealership until they find and fix the problem. In the mean time while they are fixing the vehicle they should be giving you a loaner.

I checked webtech and did not find any tsb or notice to the effect of the engine just stopping like you discribed, but thats not to say you may be the first to have this problem.

I am curious to know what the codes were if any that were logged at the time of the shut down, if any codes were logged (I am sure there was) it could indicate where the problem is coming from.
hmmm I'm curious as to see how this turns out.
Keep us informed.

Members please read: Guidelines

Last edited by twospirits; 06-02-2004 at 01:01 PM.
twospirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 01:52 PM   #3
jhansen
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Engine shuts off while driving

After calling Hyundai customer relations at 800-633-5151 and got a case #, it got the attention of the manager at the dealership. The dealer just happened to have a Hyundai representative at their location today and determined it was the EGR Silinoid (I hope I spelled that right), with makes the engine shut off as well as make the car run rough. He told me this does not show up on their advanced computer analysis, so they would have never detected it electronically. Hopefully, this will fix the problem. My daughter loves her car and is very happy with the results so far.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:01 AM   #4
twospirits
Ex-Janitor of AF

I'm glad they got it fixed. Keep us posted if anything else happens.
TS out

Members please read: Guidelines
twospirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 12:57 PM   #5
jhansen
AF Newbie

Problem still happening

It happened again last week. Hyundai replaced a few parts "in good will" to try to resolve the issue. They have no idea what the problem is. This time she did not start the car and had it towed. No codes came up on the car, so they are stumped. I think they replaced a fuel pump relay and and a ER or EM relay (I think).
They also idled the car up a little more. Hopefully this will do it. Because this is a big safety issue, it concerns me. Next time it happens, the car is going.......
Old 07-31-2004, 01:18 PM   #6
mixtronic
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to mixtronic
My 2001 Santa Fe with the 2.7 Liter had the same problem...it's actually a factory recall. I don't know if it involves 2003 models. The Camshaft Position Censor was put in incorrectly, and causes the engine to stall.

Hope that helps
mixtronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 11:56 AM   #7
jhansen
AF Newbie

Angry Re: Engine shuts off while driving

I Am Having The Problem Again, I Think I Will Turn Back In The Vehicle. Unsafe To Drive It.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:17 PM   #8
WD Squared
AF Newbie

I just bought a 2003 with 19000 miles on it that has shut off twice while driving. Once at a traffic light while I waited to turn, and the other in a traffic jam on the Interstate. Thankfully I was stopped both times.

The dealer cannot find a problem - no code, no clue, etc.

The engine stops so quickly that it seems to be an electrical problem. (no stutter, cough, or hick-up - just like I switched the key off). So I'm thinking it might be a throttle position sensor (gone bad or just a bad connection). I also know that the 2002's had a notice issued regarding a problem with cam shaft position sensor. My dealer says there are no notices on the 2003's.

I'll keep you all posted. - Bill
WD Squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 03:44 AM   #9
mazdatech
AF Enthusiast

if they cant fix it the third time automatic buyback and its the crankshaft position senser that was updated most of the time that causes the motor to just quit (ckp)located above starter just curion jhanses what motor is in your santa fe (ckp applies to 2.7) other problems exist with the 4cyl inthe santa fe.......
mazdatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 07:12 PM   #10
WD Squared
AF Newbie

Engine Shuts off

I haven't had it stall on my again, but I have been noticing suspicious gear shifts that seem a tad rough. i'm fairly light footed (easy drive) and so gear shifts are usually not noticalbe. periodically I feel somewhat harsh shifts between 2nd and 3rd at about 42 mph.

WORSE - twice while driving onthe interstate (these past two months), at 70 mph in Cruise Control, the vehicle had done something quite alarming, and I believe related to the prior stalling problem. In a total time that is only a fraction of a second, the engine seems to stop, then restart/continue running. When this happens the whole vehicle will bang/thump loudly as the power is returned to the drive train. It's as hard and as loud as if I'd hit a chuck-hole at high speed (not uncommon in Michigan!).

Any ideas or suggestions anyone? - WD Squared
WD Squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #11
DragonLord49
AF Newbie

Exclamation Re: Engine shuts off while driving

I have a 1986 Chevy s10 pickup 2wd, first time this has happend but the engine cut off on me while driving, luckily no cars were around me, and I had enough speed to pull it to an open parking spot, I was only a mile away from my house, so I had to walk home. I tried reegiting the engine but it just kept trying to turn, there is fuel in the truck, oil looked decent, no loose wires that I could notice, WHAT is going on, what can I do?
DragonLord49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:59 AM   #12
Odai
AF Newbie

i have an 05 grand prix with 130XXX thousand miles on it. it shuts off while drivin and it only shuts off when im on the hwy and thats just pissin me off cuz i took it to 2 different mechanics and its not even fixed yet , they changed 5 different parts and it keeps on shuttin off. idk wt to do!!
Odai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:58 PM   #13
imbodene
AF Newbie

I have a 2004 Sante Fe, and I have the same problem. I finance my car through Brown Daub and they also cannot find a problem. It has been about 3 months my car will shut down anywhere from stalling to driving on the highway going from 80 to 0 mph in two seconds to were in the beginning I was able to rev to make it kick back in. The dealer ship told me there are no history codes showing on the vehicle. Also because the check engine light is not on they cannot get a diagnosis so they are also stumped of why it does not work. I makes me upset I pay 300 and some change a month for a vehicle that is not safe for myself of family. When my vehicle shuts down it does not always start back up it can take up to half our to get going. Other times it will stall I can put it in park and start it back up. I should have just but a used car out right instead of financing a used one. I have payed 6,00 already towards vehicle and put at least 600 into it for a vehicle Ive only had for a year so much for an extended warranty. The problem with the lemon law is that in most states your warranty has to be through the direct manufacturer so in my case I cannot go under lemon law because the vehicle being used it through a third party warranty. My advise is to call the attorney general for your state I am in Pennsylvania and they sent me out a form to do an investigation. I have not followed through with the investigation yet as we speak my car is at Brown Daub for about the 8th time to see if they can find the problem. I think this is my last time of hoping to find the problem to fix it is wrong that I have to pay a loan for a vehicle that cannot be fixed and like I said unsafe for my three children and myself considering I am pregnant. Out of all vehicles owned this is the worst one.
imbodene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:55 AM   #14
DSHornet
AF Newbie

A common problem on these cars (and others) is a faulty crankshaft position sensor. The problem tends to show up after about 5 years and 60K miles, but it also may go much longer before it happens. For example, my '01 Santa Fe V6 has never had this problem, but others have.

Favorite saying:
"One need never apologize for exercising the Golden Rule"

DSHornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:57 PM   #15
jsg
AF Newbie

I am having this problem too. I only had a 2010 Honda Accord for two days and while driving down the highway everything suddenly shut down. The truck behind me just missed hitting me and I avoided a very serious accident. The dealership won't return my calls. The service department said their computer is not showing anything wrong. I am now forced to drive a car that is not fixed. There's not even 100 miles on it. Any ideas on what I can do will be appreciated. This car is unsafe to drive.
jsg is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Santa Fe > MY 01-06