Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > AF in General > AF News
AF News Find out what's happening here at AutomotiveForums.com
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 11:51 AM   #91
Tiger Racing
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 500 Horsepower 2001 Nissan Skyline GT-R N1 to Make Speed World Challenge Debu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineUSA
Tiger Racing,

You guys are running this?
Tiger Racing

The Ford Mustang by Tiger Racing is geared towards people who may have disabilities, but certainly have no limitations. With features based on the hot-rod theme of ‘60s-style muscle cars, this all-new Mustang combines a retro appearance with modern day technologies.
I've been outed again! Yup, that's our 2005 Mustang show car. It's been touring with Ford Mobility Motoring and has been in Ford's booth at a number of the auto shows this year and was at SEMA last year. The car will be in New York next week. Our World Challenge GT car is a 2003 Mustang

Quote:
Very nice, I am in the process of getting a 2005, good luck to you guys.
Thank you, thank you and have fun with yours! They're beautiful cars.

C.
Tiger Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 02:49 PM   #92
SkylineUSA
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SkylineUSA
Re: Re: Re: 500 Horsepower 2001 Nissan Skyline GT-R N1 to Make Speed World Challenge Debu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
I've been outed again! Yup, that's our 2005 Mustang show car. It's been touring with Ford Mobility Motoring and has been in Ford's booth at a number of the auto shows this year and was at SEMA last year. The car will be in New York next week. Our World Challenge GT car is a 2003 Mustang

Thank you, thank you and have fun with yours! They're beautiful cars.

C.

That car is sharp!

I am a Ford Guy, you can tell by my signature

R32 GTR w/351w .020 forged, 8.9:1, PTK T76, Turbosmart 40 BC & 45 WG, Tial 40 BV, AFR 205s 310/245, 228/228 550/550 114 Hydro, 1.7rr, Isky RLs, 4" HKS exhaust, ARC 30x16x4 IC, 8 point cage, C2 gauges, 2 step, C4 3200 stall w/ R Manual & Hurst Ratchet shifter, 17" Panasport G7s, CSU 750 & bonnet, Vic Jr intake, 3.63 gears, Corbeau Carrera seats, Custom wide body, Bomex side skirts and rear 1/4 caps, Tommy Kaira bumper.
SkylineUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 05:54 PM   #93
blackcomet
AF Regular

Re: 500 Horsepower 2001 Nissan Skyline GT-R N1 to Make Speed World Challenge Debut

that is one hell of a nice mustang!!lol
blackcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 07:51 PM   #94
tyndago
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to tyndago
Re: 500 Horsepower 2001 Nissan Skyline GT-R N1 to Make Speed World Challenge Debut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layla's Keeper
Looks to be fighting a push, but certainly good form. No roll, clean in corner transitions, and obviously able to pick up in the throttle after the apex.

Top 15's maybe?
You can tell that a car is fighting a push from 60 seconds of spliced together footage ?

Most vehicles inheriently understeer, the GT-R is not most vehicles

Any spectulation of finishing positions is pointless. We dont have any expected results, but are looking forward to the possibilities.
http://www.gtrusablog.com
tyndago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 08:01 PM   #95
tyndago
AF Regular

Re: Re: 500 Horsepower 2001 Nissan Skyline GT-R N1 to Make Speed World Challenge Debut

Quote:
Originally Posted by #98
I
edit: I watched your video...you were on the streets of willow...thing is not really a real track. More like an auto-x course w/out cones. Go on the real track and feel the terror as you go through 8 and 9 with a 500hp car..
We could have run the car on the big track at Willow, but I wanted the first test to be low and slow.

New car, new driver, right hand drive, new track, new team.

Just a first test. First we must walk before we can run.

We brought over Tetsuo Suzuki from Shift Japan. He has ran R34 GT-R's for Falken in Super Taikyu and 24 hour Nurburgring. He has helped us out extensively with the setup of the car ,and will continue to help us with the setup of the car.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:08 PM   #96
Dreamspawn
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Dreamspawn Send a message via MSN to Dreamspawn

How are the guys going along with shifting with the left hand? Or is just somthing that naturally take to? Do u know if they are considering on running a japnese driver sombody that has expiernence with teh car or a simular car? thanks Sean
Old 03-16-2005, 08:11 PM   #97
tyndago
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvngstorm05
those CTS-V's are beasts, not to mention all the other GM cars out there (GTO and Z06).

anyone know if there is going to be a c6 vette competing?

The CTS-V's are beasts. The SCCA tries their best to regulate the cars so that the racing is close.

So far today in practice the quick car was Wolf Henzler followed by Tommy Archer and then I think the Caddies. We didnt hear all the times.

Henzler did a 2:11.xx. Archer was at 2:12.xx. Tommorow is qualifying so we will see really how the times go.

C6's. Yes there are a couple of C6's. Couple of C5's. Speaking of which. I thought that the Caddy and Vette were running the same motor this year. They sound very, very different. The Vette screams, the Caddy is thumpy.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:17 PM   #98
tyndago
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: 500 Horsepower 2001 Nissan Skyline GT-R N1 to Make Speed World Challenge Debu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
Audi isn't racing this season and, again, we still don't have a clue how World Challenge cars are going to perform in 2005 (let alone 2006), but are you really saying that you are certain the Skyline can pull off 2:16s at Road America in World Challenge trim? You couldn't possibly be claiming that they can do 2:14s like the Audis did last year. Could you?
No Road America this year. Scheduling conflicts.

As far as times the car runs. We are currently working with the SCCA on the VTS. We came out to Sebring to get a feel for the races and see how the event is run. We have had a little bit of time to talk to SCCA about what the car is.

2005 is for testing. We will see what happens in 2006.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:21 PM   #99
tyndago
AF Regular

Re: Re: 500 Horsepower 2001 Nissan Skyline GT-R N1 to Make Speed World Challenge Debut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamspawn
How are the guys going along with shifting with the left hand? Or is just somthing that naturally take to? Do u know if they are considering on running a japnese driver sombody that has expiernence with teh car or a simular car? thanks Sean
It was Igors first time driving a right hand drive car.

Personally - I have been driving GT-Rs in the US since 1999. I worked at Motorex 1999-2002. Its really not hard to shift with either hand. If you can pick things up with either hand- you have enough coordination.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:21 PM   #100
igor@af
Your friendly AF Admin

Send a message via ICQ to igor@af Send a message via AIM to igor@af

Quote:
Originally Posted by #98
I applaud you for getting into real motorsport. It is nice to see one of these large forum members do something other than these pointless and ridiculous show cars and "street racers." In fact it is the reason I just registered.

Anyway, I've been racing in the SCCA for almost 5 years myself and have driven a decent variety of racecars. My question is what experience have you had racing that you think you will be able to handle a 500hp racecar on some of the most demanding tracks in the world? Testing at Willow on a free test-day is one thing (I've had many races there myself), but being able to safely stay on pace with walls all around you at Infineon or Road Atlanta in the midst of a raging pack of Speed-GT cars with many highly-experienced drivers is another thing. It's very easy to put your car into a wall at places like those and a hard impact in a state-of-the-art Skyline will costs tens-of-thousands to repair. It may have been a better idea to start in a slower racing level...even Speed Touring Car is an extremely fast place for a novice to start. Don't mean to be negative, but I thought I might offer some alternate perspectives.

edit: I watched your video...you were on the streets of willow...thing is not really a real track. More like an auto-x course w/out cones. Go on the real track and feel the terror as you go through 8 and 9 with a 500hp car.

Again, congratulations and best of luck on your new venture.
I am very happy to see race drivers participate in this public debate and I appreciate your time and interest.

Concerning my experience -

First, I want to point out that the primary reason for the entry into World Challenge in '06 rather than this season is for driver development. I will have a full time program in place to ensure my success as the driver including a full season of Endurance Karting, lots of testing in the GT-R, and sedan/coupe racing as well.

I have attended Jim Hall Kart Racing School for one week and graduated with great marks - top laps at 0.25 second behind Chief Instructor and National Shifter Kart Champion Eric Shutte.

I have spent a considerable amount of one-on-one time with 2-time Le Mans Champion Roland E. Linder, including track time and mentoring. He is extremely confident in my abilities and I have his full support. We maintain regular contact.

At Bondurant, I was as fast as a more experienced and current Grand-Am GT Class driver, graduating the program with very good marks.

I also want to mention that I have considerable experience handling the AF 350Z - http://www.automotiveforums.com/350z/ , which is putting out around 375 to the wheels.

I look forward to driving the GT-R and am confident in my abilities to deliver.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:00 PM   #101
blackcomet
AF Regular

you mentioned going to kart school and I was curious while you were on that topic. Even here in Canada there are a lot of those schools, I was just curious if it was just a place to get better at racing or is it like when you get out you get some sort of license to race in certain racing leagues or somethin??
blackcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 11:11 PM   #102
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: 500 Horsepower 2001 Nissan Skyline GT-R N1 to Make Speed World Challenge Debut

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor@af
I am very happy to see race drivers participate in this public debate and I appreciate your time and interest.

Concerning my experience -

First, I want to point out that the primary reason for the entry into World Challenge in '06 rather than this season is for driver development. I will have a full time program in place to ensure my success as the driver including a full season of Endurance Karting, lots of testing in the GT-R, and sedan/coupe racing as well.

I have attended Jim Hall Kart Racing School for one week and graduated with great marks - top laps at 0.25 second behind Chief Instructor and National Shifter Kart Champion Eric Shutte.

I have spent a considerable amount of one-on-one time with 2-time Le Mans Champion Roland E. Linder, including track time and mentoring. He is extremely confident in my abilities and I have his full support. We maintain regular contact.

At Bondurant, I was as fast as a more experienced and current Grand-Am GT Class driver, graduating the program with very good marks.

I also want to mention that I have considerable experience handling the AF 350Z - http://www.automotiveforums.com/350z/ , which is putting out around 375 to the wheels.

I look forward to driving the GT-R and am confident in my abilities to deliver.
Good, it's nice to see that you have some experience. I've done karting myself and it's somewhat helpful for learning to left-foot brake, but it's more geared toward preparing yourself for a formula car. Driving a formula car and driving a sedan are totally different worlds, which I'm sure you know.

My suggestion would be to enter your car in as many SoCal and NorCal regional races as possible. Drive with the engine detuned to save wear on the car and just get used to driving it in real races, especially traffic. Obviously you'll be testing all the different setups so you'll learn what fits you best. Make sure and get some test days in the rain. I could write pages more, but if you really have experienced mentors they'll be telling you the same things as I'd be writing, which essentially amounts to the critical needs for absolutely huge amounts of seat time if you want to survive the experience of world-champion pilots lapping you.

I'm at the track often so we might collide sometime...I usually bring crates of Redline Oil too so if you need some let me know.

Last edited by #98; 03-17-2005 at 03:31 AM.
#98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 11:20 PM   #103
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcomet
you mentioned going to kart school and I was curious while you were on that topic. Even here in Canada there are a lot of those schools, I was just curious if it was just a place to get better at racing or is it like when you get out you get some sort of license to race in certain racing leagues or somethin??

Karting is a ladder to formula, specfically for younger racers who start usually by the time they're 11 with aspirations of becoming a paid-driver. It won't get you a racing license in any of the touring car series you see on TV. To race in SCCA there is a pretty standard ladder for getting different licenses...check out www.scca.com for more.

But karting is more than just a place for the young, ambitious and usually at least moderately wealthy. It is a place where older people race just purely for the sport, competition and fun of karting. Karting is insanely thrilling and challenging. It truly boggles my mind that anyone would spend more huge sums to customize their street-car when they could be using that money to kart.
#98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 11:44 PM   #104
Dreamspawn
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Dreamspawn Send a message via MSN to Dreamspawn
Re: Re: Re: 500 Horsepower 2001 Nissan Skyline GT-R N1 to Make Speed World Challenge Debut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyndago
It was Igors first time driving a right hand drive car.

Personally - I have been driving GT-Rs in the US since 1999. I worked at Motorex 1999-2002. Its really not hard to shift with either hand. If you can pick things up with either hand- you have enough coordination.
I envy you so very very much. like i said earlier in the thread if i got chance just to see a skyline in person i'd cry, and you have goto drive them. Is rbmotoring legalizing skyline yet or still seeking approval from the big 3?

Also Igor how did you get into road racing? The only thing like that i can find here in KY is autocross? Isn't the nearest road course mid-ohio? I'm 19 i'm highly interested in going road racing even its the most little level. Just wondering how u got started? So that i might be able to follow in your steps.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:48 PM   #105
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyndago
You can tell that a car is fighting a push from 60 seconds of spliced together footage ?

Most vehicles inheriently understeer, the GT-R is not most vehicles

Any spectulation of finishing positions is pointless. We dont have any expected results, but are looking forward to the possibilities.
An ISMA supermodified laps Sandusky Speedway in under 16 seconds and in qualifying you get three laps, one to warm tires and two hot. I was a member of Race Race America Ltd up until the untimely death of our founder and learned chassis setup (and construction) at the hands of Jim Bodnar.

Yes, I can in fact tell what a car is fighting from limited time on track and a compromised viewing position (crew stands at Sandusky were at the entrance to turn one, behind the pit entrance) and judging by the amount of lean at the nose compared to the tail, the points where the throttle was being picked up, and how much steering input was cranked in from the wheel angle, it looked like a bad push off center on throttle.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > AF in General > AF News