Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Highlander/Highlander Hybrid/Kluger
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 03:04 PM   #1
paulmars
AF Newbie

another engine noise, any ideas?

I just started hearing this high pitched tinkle sound the other day. It only starts after engine heats up. I never heard it before, so it's a new noise. Cant hear it with high revs, but it might just be drowned out by louder engine.

First occurred after first startup and warm up of engine after about 1.5 to 2 months not run at all while i swapped out the three rear coils. I dont think it's anything that I did, but I know it was not making this noise previously.

Ideas?

190k miles, 2gr fe toyota engine, I have no idea of the maintenance history but suspect it's been kinda neglected. Within the last 6 months ive done most all the scheduled maintenance items and a few more, like replace trany oil (twice).

Listen to noise here. https://imgur.com/a/TE4NRZE
This site always gets speaker to off, so you need to click the speaker symbol in upper right of uploaded file.

tks,
p
paulmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 07:41 PM   #2
paulmars
AF Newbie

Re: another engine noise, any ideas?

someone said maybe its the belt, which I changed a few hundred miles ago. they say spray water on belt and if it stops noise, then its the belt.
Old 08-02-2021, 02:41 PM   #3
Eriedipper
AF Newbie

I agree, it sounds like the fan belt. If water doesn't quieten it down, you can also buy belt lubricants that sometimes help.
Eriedipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 03:34 PM   #4
paulmars
AF Newbie

Water on belt dont effect noise. Pressure on belt and on each accessory pulley and tensioner/idler dont effect noise.

When I unplug the 3 wire alternator plug the noise stops. When i plug it back in, the noise starts immediately for 1/2 a second, then stops for 3 to 5 seconds before starting again.

once noise starts it does not stop.

The alternator usually starts making this noise after engine warms up for 10 to 15 minutes. Once in a while the noise starts after 2 minutes from a dead cold start. Just today for the 1st time it ran for 37 minutes with NO noise, then i shut her down for 2 minutes and restarted the engine, then after 45 seconds the noise started.

2 different screwdrivers touching front, mid section and rear of the alternator, with other end in my ear and I hear nothing. Same with short hose touching or just very near alt. (same with all other pulleys)

I cant reverse spin the Alt coupler pulley clutch\decoupler, as shown in this video. See https://youtu.be/1Duj1jh1rlA Mine behaved like his. If this is even a proper test for a toyota. My noise does sound like The Drake alt coupler pulley clutch\decoupler here: See https://au.toyotaownersclub.com/foru...m-engine-area/ Although mine also sounds like this alt rear bearing noise here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTNM5X7ufk4

Separate issue:

Turning accessory pulleys/tensioner/idlers by hand with belt off and hot engine I hear no noise, see no wobble and feel no oddities. Pulling/pushing them in and out, laterally back and forth(rocking), and laterally side to side I feel some play. Some more then others. pwr steer pump moves in and out a lot. tensioner same but less and also side to side. wtr pump moves in and out, but less so and rocks back and forth. AC comp moves in all 3 directions, but not by a lot. Upper idler rocks back and forth more so. Lower idler rocks back and forth just a little. I don't know how much is acceptable/normal or if I should be concerned about some of these. The Alt I could feel no play.
Old 08-13-2021, 08:48 PM   #5
paulmars
AF Newbie

This guy here uses this pulley for the tensioner. that would be much easier then replacing entire tensioner. gates wont confirm or deny that this 36174 will do the job. they do say that the 36173 is for the two idler pulleys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YZ8E0wtxp4

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Highlander/Highlander Hybrid/Kluger