Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > MX-5/ Miata
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 07:38 AM   #16
david.close
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to david.close
Re: EGR valve causes check engine light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Downs
My 1999 Miata check engine light stays on all the time. If the code is reset the light stays off for a few days and then returns. Autozone says it is a problem with the EGR valve. I removed the valve to check for carbon build up and clean it. Reset the codes by disconnecting battery. Of course the light came back on after 3 days. But long enough to pass emissions test!! Anyone heard of problems with the EGR? They are $250, I would like to avoid buying a new one. Sometimes the car will idle rough thought it might be related to the coil problem described in the other post. Any connection to the EGR?

I have a 1999 and last year I had the local guy check to code and said he had to change the EGR sensor, it was good for a few 100 miles and the lihgt flashed on again, but like yours when it is off or on it runs really well but when it flases it feels like only have the engine is working. anyone with ideas?
david.close is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 06:54 PM   #17
mazdatekchubyninja
AF Regular

Re: check engine light code

Ken Downs it's not your egr valve that is bad or clogged. It's the egr ports in you intake that are clog and causing the egr boost senor(map sensor ) to throw
that code it should be a p0400 / p0401 / p0402 egr flow code. you have to take the throttle body off and the upper intake off and clean a port need the front of the intake on the upper intake. Highly recommend you save some money and take it to the Dealer (DO NOT TAKE TO AN INDEPENDANT SHOP) they don't know what to do. After that is down you should use better gas and do a top engine clean once in a while to avoid this pricy repair.
mazdatekchubyninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 06:56 PM   #18
mazdatekchubyninja
AF Regular

the code p1135 is for o2 sensor I don't remember which one it is.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:12 PM   #19
abrittis
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yongsu
I have a 99 miata which had to have cat replaced (ECU P0421). Just bought it..... The dealer asked me if I had any misfire problem, which probably caused the cat to go bad. They suggested that I get new coil pack ~$400 replaced. I talked to the previous owner, and he told me that he had problem last year (running really rough) where he had to replace crankcase position sensor ($350). Could CPS have been the problem? Should I be worried and replace the coil pack? I know that 99 supposedly had faulty coil pack, but replacing something that works well for ~400 is stupid. What percentage of the 99 had bad coils? Why isnn't Mazda recalling coil pack like they did with the Protege?
Hi,

The crankshaft position sensor tells the ECU to position of the crankshaft (hence the name :-)) This is how the engine timing is controlled. If it goes bad, the engine timing could be off. Not sure how off it would have to be to cause damage to the catalytic converter.

Anthony
abrittis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:55 PM   #20
mazdatekchubyninja
AF Regular

it control ignition timing and fuel. it could cause the car to run rich or fuel flood whitch cause the cat to melt internally by having fuel in it.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:56 PM   #21
mazdatekchubyninja
AF Regular

oh yeah it could cause miss fires which make it run rich due to unburnt fuel.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:44 PM   #22
mazdatech60
AF Newbie

just be careful not to spill rice into the intake........
right chubby?
mazdatech60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:31 PM   #23
Miatatata
AF Newbie

Check Engine HELP 02 Sensor

My Check engine light won't go off on my Miata 1999. I see everyone having trouble, but mine is the code for the Heated O2 Sensor, which I REPLACED (not cheap). Now its on and off, and i have the SAME obdii code for the O2 sensor, what do i do??? I LOVE my miata (new to me) but when that engine check light is on, my car runs like crap, when its off, it's great. NO other codes are showing up. help! email me if u can @ pjsbabyboy@yahoo.com!
Miatatata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 01:45 PM   #24
Kettlemaster
AF Newbie

I have the same problem. Error code P1135. Dealer told me front O2 sensor needs replacement ($350 dealer quote). Bought sensor over Internet and installed yesterday. Did reset check engine light (disconnect battery). Light came on after about 10 miles driving.
Any suggestions???? Thanks
Kettlemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:32 AM   #25
rhom
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlemaster
I have the same problem. Error code P1135. Dealer told me front O2 sensor needs replacement ($350 dealer quote). Bought sensor over Internet and installed yesterday. Did reset check engine light (disconnect battery). Light came on after about 10 miles driving.
Any suggestions???? Thanks
==> I recently had exactly the same situation on a 2000 Miata. Same code. Replaced the front O2 sensor with OEM Mazda part. The engine light was off for 30 miles, but came on again the next day. What was the subsequent outcome in your case? Thanks in advance.
rhom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:45 PM   #26
rwyatt365
AF Newbie

I have a '99 Miata that has the same problem too. The CEL comes on, showing P0420 - I reset it and within a day or two the light comes back on with the same code. I've replaced both O2 sensors with no change in behavior. I've also cleaned the MAF sensor (recommended by some other boards), but that hasn't made any difference either. I'm about ready to give up.
rwyatt365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:42 AM   #27
Unico
AF Newbie

Check engine light code P0037

My 01 started the CEL right after a oilchange at Midus, their computer doesn't show any error, but the dealer scan came up with a code of P0037. I would have to pay $92.50 to know from them what that transalts over to, anyone here have a clue? Thanks for the help.
Unico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #28
horsmane
AF Newbie

99 Miata...engine light off and on frequently. Have had catalytic converter replaced twice, and recently had coil pack replaced. Now, light is on again. It used to run very rough and light come on at startup (probably coil pack fixed that). Now light came on while driving down the road. Any suggestions? Thanks guys...I'm a girl, so really need some good advice...it's been an expensive year, but I love my Miata (my 3rd)!
horsmane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #29
Docbass
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsmane View Post
99 Miata...engine light off and on frequently. Have had catalytic converter replaced twice, and recently had coil pack replaced. Now, light is on again. It used to run very rough and light come on at startup (probably coil pack fixed that). Now light came on while driving down the road. Any suggestions? Thanks guys...I'm a girl, so really need some good advice...it's been an expensive year, but I love my Miata (my 3rd)!

I would take it to an autozone parts store and get them to see if they can pull a code on it. With that code you can do a search on the net as well as a pervious poster has a link to read what the code means. The store should be able to tell you what it means as well. IT could be a loose wire or a bad part so get code and what it means and go from there
Just because you are a girl and not a girly girl you may can do the repair your self. If not look for a miata club in your area to help you
Docbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #30
horsmane
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docbass View Post
I would take it to an autozone parts store and get them to see if they can pull a code on it. With that code you can do a search on the net as well as a pervious poster has a link to read what the code means. The store should be able to tell you what it means as well. IT could be a loose wire or a bad part so get code and what it means and go from there
Just because you are a girl and not a girly girl you may can do the repair your self. If not look for a miata club in your area to help you

thanks. Will do that.
horsmane is offline   Reply With Quote