Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > B-Series/Bravo/Bounty/Drifter
B-Series/Bravo/Bounty/Drifter Bravo is the Australian vesion, Bounty the New Zealand version and Drifter the South African version.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 06:21 PM   #1
SamuelWilson
AF Newbie

vintage Mazda B-Series pickups from 1972-1984

If you have a 1972-1984 Mazda B1600, B1800, B2000 or the famed REPU pickup, then please respond to this thread. Also if you have a 1972-1982 Ford Courier, then respond to this thread. I am trying to get interest started about these pickups on this forum. I want to have this forum create a section for...

/__1972-1982 Ford Couriers___________\
\__1972-1984 Mazda B-Series pickups __/

When you click on either section it merges the 2 subcategories into one. I really feel that there is enough people to justify it.
SamuelWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 05:59 PM   #2
ldieringer
AF Newbie

Re: vintage Mazda B-Series pickups from 1972-1984

I own a '84 Sundowner. Unfortunatly, the first gen B2000 trucks are not very popular for enthusiests. After I am done with mine, It might give others ideas for the 1st gen Downers. However, go to www.mazdabscene.com It is a great site.
ldieringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:13 PM   #3
Kyrasis6
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Kyrasis6
There is a section on MazdaTruckin.com for the first gen trucks. I used to own a Sundowner but it has been deceased for some time.

<sniffles>

I have a 78-84 factory manual that I will be making info available from on my site from.

Old 10-13-2005, 06:09 PM   #4
airea2
AF Newbie

My husband has a 1980 Courier that he has been trying to work on. It's a cute little truck, bright yellow, but it is hard to find information about them. I have looked all over EBSCO in both Ford and Mazda but can't find any information about it. Nor can I find any decent info on the web... so far this is the ONLY site I have found (and I've been looking for a while) that has fulfilled any of my questions.

Maybe someone here would know my main one... Like I said, it's an 1980... what I really need to know is what kind of motor it has in it. The lables under the hood are worn off and we can't find any markings besides some worn numbers that look like 8683 or 8883... something to that effect. Also, the metal plate with the motor information was lost/removed when a repair was made to the front right 1/4 panel after an accident. My husband needs to know what kind of motor it is so that he can find out the firing order for the distributor.

Any help would be appreciated. Maybe I am just looking in the wrong places or something on the web for info. My husband has worked on lots of cars and trucks before, but never one of these and he is stumped. Thanks in advance.

~Airea
airea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 06:10 AM   #5
BadDog2000
AF Newbie

1980 Ford Courier Info

Airea, The info that I can find is as follows:

1980 Ford Courier had the following percentages of engines:

4 Cylinders 140 B 2.3L 2BL 70 %
4 Cylinders 120 C 2.0L 2BL 30 %

The 4 cyl. 120 C 2.0 2BL has a valve cover which is interchangeable with the 1984 Mazda Pickup. I have installed one on my mazda. If you have a wide (approx. 10" wide) aluminum valve cover. It should show the firing order. Mine does. The engine stands almost perfectly straight up and down. I don't know what the 2.3 motor looks like. I think it is like a pinto motor and slants with a skinny painted valve cover. You should be able to find a user manual on ebay or at an autoparts store. I know that the firing order for the 1984 mazda is 1-3-4-2 and # one is in the front of course. I am not sure what the firing order is on your particular truck. All of the body parts except for the grill and headlights are interchangeable with the first generation mazdas. The running lights in the mazda fender are higher but will bolt on. The interior parts do not interchange. Hope this helps and how about a picture! I have 3 1984 mazda b2000 first generation pickups and would like to see more! Good Luck! Keith
Old 01-02-2006, 10:44 AM   #6
bryansuncentral
AF Newbie

I have a 1983 Mazda B2000. It is in pretty good shape for being that old. If you know where to get any parts for it let me know. Especially interior parts.
bryansuncentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 06:17 AM   #7
BadDog2000
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansuncentral
I have a 1983 Mazda B2000. It is in pretty good shape for being that old. If you know where to get any parts for it let me know. Especially interior parts.

Bryan, I have two parts trucks. One is gutted with full roll cage for arena tuff truck racing and the other is in pretty good shape. The body on it is pretty beat up. If you need any parts or know of anyone needing anything, let me know. I have a third 1984 and just drove it 300 miles yesterday at 70 - 80 miles an hour! It is slammed with 195/60/14 tires. I went and picked up a buick 3.8 v6 and tranny. I must be doing something right cause I'm getting about 30 miles per gallon! You can email me for more parts availablily. Thanks, Keith.

krpglover@peoplepc.com
Old 01-03-2006, 06:20 AM   #8
BadDog2000
AF Newbie

Re: Re: vintage Mazda B-Series pickups from 1972-1984

By the way, How about some pics of our trucks!!! I would love to see some other early mazdas!
Old 01-07-2006, 07:41 PM   #9
bryansuncentral
AF Newbie

I am spending more time in my B2000. It is hard to believe the gas difference. I also have a '94 Blazer, and the Mazda gets about 4 times better gas milage! Since I was on here last, I found a couple of Mazdas in the junk yard. Would like to find some blue inside door latches (preferably NOS). On the ones that I am finding, the plastic buckets behind the inside door latch has rotted away. I can't believe that some company does not deal in those aftermarket parts.

By the way, where is the stock dome light switch? Is it on the dome light itself? I have an aftermarket dome light and cannot get it to work. I wired it to the wires that I found next to the rearview mirror in the top, a red wire and a white wire. I guess those wires run down the driver's side windshield post, but where do they go after that? Would wire them direct if I could find them.

I bought my B2000 for $800 to use as yard truck (I have a three acre yard), you know trash, limbs, etc. I decided to let my roommate use it as a vehicle and he practically demolished it in about 6 months. I kicked him out, and am know trying to put back together what I already had. I think that I am going to put it back together, and then grey primer it!

So, how do you attach pictures? It's not too pretty now but I might put some up here later.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:54 AM   #10
superduder
AF Newbie

as far as the door handles/buckets check ford festivas, and older 323/tracers.
they should be pretty close.
hope this helps.
J
superduder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:22 PM   #11
bryansuncentral
AF Newbie

Hi! It's me again! I have a little problem. When I turn the ignition key, the starter turns, but when I release the key the truck dies. I can wiggle the key and it will stay running. I took the ignition cylinder (round white plastic thing with wires) out of the key switch & tried it that way and got the same results. I think the problem is in the plastic part with the wires. Maybe the contacts are too worn inside of it. Has any body had this problem before. Does anyone have an extra one lying around?
Old 11-18-2007, 02:11 PM   #12
HotRodCourier
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by airea2
My husband has a 1980 Courier that he has been trying to work on. It's a cute little truck, bright yellow, but it is hard to find information about them. I have looked all over EBSCO in both Ford and Mazda but can't find any information about it. Nor can I find any decent info on the web... so far this is the ONLY site I have found (and I've been looking for a while) that has fulfilled any of my questions.

Maybe someone here would know my main one... Like I said, it's an 1980... what I really need to know is what kind of motor it has in it. The lables under the hood are worn off and we can't find any markings besides some worn numbers that look like 8683 or 8883... something to that effect. Also, the metal plate with the motor information was lost/removed when a repair was made to the front right 1/4 panel after an accident. My husband needs to know what kind of motor it is so that he can find out the firing order for the distributor.

Any help would be appreciated. Maybe I am just looking in the wrong places or something on the web for info. My husband has worked on lots of cars and trucks before, but never one of these and he is stumped. Thanks in advance.

~Airea

There is a good site for courier enthusiasts www.fordcouriercollector.com
HotRodCourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:23 PM   #13
HotRodCourier
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansuncentral
Hi! It's me again! I have a little problem. When I turn the ignition key, the starter turns, but when I release the key the truck dies. I can wiggle the key and it will stay running. I took the ignition cylinder (round white plastic thing with wires) out of the key switch & tried it that way and got the same results. I think the problem is in the plastic part with the wires. Maybe the contacts are too worn inside of it. Has any body had this problem before. Does anyone have an extra one lying around?
Is your inginition switch loose in the dash ? I had the same problem and the connector in the harness had a bad connection. some timeses the cylinder gets loose and can rotate twisting the harness and damaging the connections. You can test this by taking out the ingnition switch and letting it hang loose below the dash. and push all the wires into the connector from behind if the problem goes away you have found the cause and can carefully make repairs to the contacts in the connector - good luck
Old 03-31-2008, 02:18 AM   #14
kimba09
AF Newbie

Hi , all, have just joined the Mazda fan club and bought a very nice 77 B1600 ute, in great condition, except for a minor detail. Bought it from a guy who had blown the head gasket etc, pulled it down then quit. My dilema is am not sure about lining up the timing marks. Is the camshaft sprocket mark (a straight line) sposed to be straight up at tdc? It isn't now and I didn't move it but prev mechanic may have,
THANKS all, Kim
kimba09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:06 AM   #15
munkekiller
AF Newbie

I currently own a 1983 mazda b2000 sundowner deluxe. You can check out my car domain page, and see what I have done so far? I also have 66' new yorker. If you own a 79 to 84 b2000 you know that there is really no room. but I have found a way to put in a 10" sub in a custom box, 550watt amp, 10 disc cd changer. buckets from a 00' subie imprenza. Have not been able to much with it lately . I am working on finding a way to drop the front about 2". See I was told that I could use a front drop kit for a 86 mits mighty max? Not sure if this is true. what has other done would like to know? the back I'll use blocks.
thanks.http://www.cardomain.com/id/i1drunkmunke
munkekiller is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > B-Series/Bravo/Bounty/Drifter