Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 10:13 PM   #16
Schurkey
AF Enthusiast

Re: Blower fan not working / vaccuum line maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfern87 View Post
Okay, I was able to tap into it by using a needle and alligator clip. I verified that I was getting voltage to that connection and that it was making a proper connection by using a continuity meter before any of these tests. I used the positive wire and battery terminal for the voltage tests.

The motor has 4 settings per the slider switch in the dash.
I used the "bi-lev" setting selector setting
All tests were made with the motor running.

1: 14.6v
2: went between 14.5-14.7
3: 14.5v
4: 14.6v

These are all prettymuch the same.
I verified that the voltage was 0 when selecting "off" on the series of buttons on the dash as well just to idiot check.

Ground voltage with the fan on (same method, except into the ground wire) gave between 0.05v and 0.11v with the positive lead of the meter connected to the negative wire on the fan and the negative lead of the meter touching the negative pole of the battery.
I can't explain your results.

Voltage should be 14+ on HIGH blower speed, with progressively less voltage as the selector switch is moved to lower-speed settings.

Getting the same voltage on all speed settings doesn't make sense unless the motor windings are open, in which case the motor wouldn't run.

I don't know what to tell you.
For the good of the Free World, DEMAND COMPENSATION FROM CHINA for their release of the Virus Originating in the Wuhan Laboratory, released (intentionally or negligently) into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19). Ten trillion to start with, increasing as needed from there, PLUS compensation for the sickened, and "wrongful death" settlements for the families of those who didn't survive. END trade with Communist China.
Schurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 01:45 PM   #17
cfern87
AF Newbie

Okay guys. I think the he problem is he motor.

A little voice in my head told me to check the fan - hot wiring it to start - I used two vampire taps and connected it right to the battery. Didn't hear it spin.
I took it off and connected it right to the battery, it spun, but didn't seem like it was spinning fast enough.

A quick Google tells me that it could be the resistor?
Thinking maybe it's the fan itself.

Here's a video. What do you guys think?
https://youtu.be/RsiJZi28tXM
cfern87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:08 PM   #18
Schurkey
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfern87 View Post
Okay guys. I think the he problem is he motor.

A little voice in my head told me to check the fan - hot wiring it to start - I used two vampire taps and connected it right to the battery. Didn't hear it spin.
I took it off and connected it right to the battery, it spun, but didn't seem like it was spinning fast enough.

A quick Google tells me that it could be the resistor?
Thinking maybe it's the fan itself.

Here's a video. What do you guys think?
https://youtu.be/RsiJZi28tXM
If you bypassed the resistors, and it still doesn't spin fast...it's not the resistors.

Yup, sounds like the motor has failed. When connected directly to battery power, the fan motor should torque hard enough that it'll twist in your hand when power is first applied.
For the good of the Free World, DEMAND COMPENSATION FROM CHINA for their release of the Virus Originating in the Wuhan Laboratory, released (intentionally or negligently) into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19). Ten trillion to start with, increasing as needed from there, PLUS compensation for the sickened, and "wrongful death" settlements for the families of those who didn't survive. END trade with Communist China.
Schurkey is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina