Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Engine and Transmission
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engine and Transmission Discuss Engine, Transmission, and all other performance modifications here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 02:01 PM   #1
chevyrulespops
AF Regular

FAST EFI with D.U.I distributor non computer controlled timing

Hello everyone! I have a RamJet 350. I changed out the MFEI 4 computer (garbage), wiring harness and the stock ECM controlled distributor and replaced it with the FAST EFI Multiport Retrofit System, MSD 6AL box and a distributor from Davis Unified Ignitions that was custom tuned to the Camaro and the engine. My question is, how can I get the timing without the assistance of timing marks on the timing chain cover? There is a V notch on the timing cover with a "dot" that's just to the right of TDC. I confirmed that the v notch is TDC. Does anyone have any experience with setting timing without marks? I just finished the install and it turned on! YES!!! Just ironing out the wrinkles before I start to drive anywhere.

Last edited by chevyrulespops; 07-24-2015 at 09:43 AM.
chevyrulespops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:14 AM   #2
chevyrulespops
AF Regular

Re: FAST EFI with D.U.I distributor non computer controlled timing

I've been doing research on Computer Controlled timing and it appears that the mark that is there right After Top Dead Center is ideal for the computer to start it's magic. In my case since I went with a non computer controlled distributor, I will have to adjust the timing without the aid of timing marks unless I change the timing belt cover and add a pointer for an eight inch harmonic balancer, which I'm not going to do. I figured I have two choices here, use a vacuum gauge to get the best possible reading and turn it back a notch to be on the safe side or I can play it by ear. I did a friend's Monte Carlo that way since the timing light couldn't see any marks lining up at all and it's been running great! I've always been able to fix everybody else's car except mine. I wonder if anyone else gets this voodoo. I will keep you posted. I'm going to figure it out especially for all those that might want to make this conversion.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:15 PM   #3
chevyrulespops
AF Regular

Ok quick update, I attached a vacuum gauge and the gauge was reading very low (about 14) when I initially turned on the motor, so I rotated the distributor and the vacuum gauge skyrocketed to 21 PSI. Needles to say I couldn't rotate anymore. So I flashed my timing light and it was definitely far left of the V mark. I backed down the distributor so I can get 20 PSI and the engine purred and started right up with no hesitations. My cooling fans are not turning on but I'm hoping to get that worked out so I can finally hook up the vacuum can on the distributor and go for a ride. I'll update you in the future. Things are looking good, can't wait.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:00 PM   #4
chevyrulespops
AF Regular

Ok I have a story now: I got the Dakota fan controller hooked up and went for a test drive. Initially I had a small hesitation when I pressed the gas pedal but the FAST computer corrected that. So It seemed to be running perfect and so I decided to gun it. Needless to say as I was coming to a stop sign I tried to hit the brake but the car did not want to come to a stop since the throttle cable had become snagged inside of its housing somehow. I turned the car off and luckily I didnt hit anyone. So I ordered a new Lokar cable and as soon as I get that hooked up, I will give a final report on my progress.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:42 AM   #5
chevyrulespops
AF Regular

Ok here is the final run down: I changed the throttle cable. I've only driven a few miles but I don't have any regrets at all! It seems like the computer is "learning" how to run the engine and I can't wait until it's finally at it's peak learning curve. Car is very peppy for the most part! It turns on effortlessly.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Engine and Transmission