Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Engine and Transmission
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engine and Transmission Discuss Engine, Transmission, and all other performance modifications here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 02:54 PM   #1
imakedacookies
AF Regular

Need help with a crap freeze plug.

If you know anything about removing pesky freeze plugs please read my rant and help me out. I need mental help after dealing with this, but can I at least get some advice on a freeze plug. My friend has a 94 camaro with the v6, and one of the freeze plugs was leaking like there was nothing there. In an attempt to remove the old plug my friend punched a hole in it, and has removed most of the base of the old plug. All thats really left is the ring of the old plug and a bit of the base which is sticking towards the inside of the block. I cannot get it out, and ive tried for many hours. Partly because of where its at and not having the tools to pull the engine, but because its been in there for 21 years and doesnt want to give up. I tried a rubber expansion plug but can only get about 1/4 of it in there. I need some advice on either a simple fix or a redneck fix thatll last a few months she can afford taking it to a shop. I appreciate any help or advice. Thanks
imakedacookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:22 AM   #2
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: Need help with a crap freeze plug.

If the rime of the old freeze plug is intact and not rotted away, a smaller freeze plug can be installed inside the rim of the original plug. This can be either a drive-in plug or an expansive (rubber) plug, but will need to be sized to fit the I.D. of the original plug and not the hole in the block. Your parts store should have the original plug available so that you can use that to size the "piggyback" plug instead of having to stand on your head and fold yourself in half to get in and measure the existing plug.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:39 AM   #3
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

How did this work out for your vehicle?
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:04 PM   #4
imakedacookies
AF Regular

Thanks for the reply Bowtie! I did something similar. I ended up using a dremmel to smooth down the old plug. I flushed the system because there was a lot of crap in there after, but I stuck an expansion plug in there. That didnt work at first so I used the dremmel and took the rest of the plug out, got it down to the block. When I tried to put a metal plug in the block was a little warped so I ended up using the expansion plug. It seems to be doing fine. Hopefully it stays in there good and tight. Thanks for the response!
imakedacookies is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
freeze , plug
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > Engine and Transmission