Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Chevrolet Classics
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 10:08 PM   #1
roknjock2
AF Newbie

Chevy 350 cuts out!

i drive a 1982 el camino with a chevy 350. i was driving down the road and all of a sudden my car cuts out and picks back up...it does this for a bit. so i drive it home call my group of car know it alls and they say check the distributer...after checking i replace the cap, rotor, and coil...still messes up...then i replace the spark plugs but notice im running rich ...so i start using 91 oct. gas ( was using 87 and friend said it would help) ...i put a better intake to add air and adjusted my chock...still messes up but now only cuts out or backfires at 1000 rpms for just what sounds like a sec...just like fine fine fine puuuu fine fine fine....WHATS NEXT...timing?

Last edited by roknjock2; 04-15-2009 at 10:14 PM. Reason: new info
roknjock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:06 AM   #2
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Re: Chevy 350 cuts out!

I would check the pickup in the distributor. You can unplug it and use an analog ohm meter if its working properly the dial should sweep when trying to crank the engine. They can heat up and cut out sometimes. Auto Zone or Advance can check the module free. Use a hair dryer and warm it up first I put a drop of water on them and if it starts to boil stop. I have a Mac module tester and they work fine until they get hot.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:00 PM   #3
roknjock2
AF Newbie

thanks for the post but it seems to not mess up when the engine gets around normal temp and hot??? im so confused
roknjock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:13 AM   #4
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Does this vehicle have a carburetor if it does check that the choke closes then make sure the choke pull off a vacuum operated devise opens the choke
appx. 1/4 to 1/8 inch it varies so check the manual. Any way check in the carb. area.
If it has two injectors setting where the carb. used to be ohm the temperature sensor for the computer a two wire sensor. If this gets out of range it will lean out the fuel mixture.
Advance or Auto Zone will scan for codes free.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
backfire , carburator trouble , chevy 350 , cuts out , ignition timing
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Chevrolet Classics