Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Montero/Shogun/Pajero
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 08:06 PM   #1
1stGenParts
AF Newbie

Angry 1999 Montero 3.5L Timing Belt SVC now won't start,

I've seen 2 different TSB's on how you're supposed to orient the crank mark, some say install it TDC (lined up on mark), while another says back the crank off 3 marks which is how it looked when I took it apart. I spent half a day rolling motor to make sure all marks lined up and tentioners were where they were supposed to be. It all looks perfect, (w crank rolled back 3 teeth). It turns over like it wants to start, sounds like its almost there, but no! It was built July 1998 Gen 2.5, it has the stupid AC bracket you have to remove to get timing cover off, unlike later models.

Hell, the belt still looked good, 78K,

Need help from the experts please motor is a 6G74, ran killer until I thought about a belt svc................

My skill level would be pretty high but not on this newer stuff, understanding is there, knowledge of quirks is not
1stGenParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:22 PM   #2
bellaCuba
AF Regular

Re: 1999 Montero 3.5L Timing Belt SVC now won't start,

For shits & giggles... did you make sure you have spark? & You have fuel/pressure? Even worst case scenario, if the belt were not on perfect, you should still have these two things... Could be a stupid overlook on your part, such as not plugging in a sensor or some other silly thing.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:35 PM   #3
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

I'm not exceptionally familiar with the 6G74, but am very familiar with its cousin the 6G72, both SOHC 12V and DOHC 24V.

I think its possible you may be a little confused on the instructions. Usually the purpose of putting the crank back 3 teeth is to move the cam gears into place without the valves making contact with the pistons, but it should be at TDC when the timing belt is installed.

On the 24V DOHC and even the 4G63 the once the cam gears are aligned you usually put the crank gear back one tooth from TDC before installing the belt because the hydraulic tensioner will pull the crank gear forward that one tooth keeping everything aligned.

When it is all installed you should rotate the crank the proper amount of times and all marks should be aligned at TDC. If the crank is 3 teeth back from TDC the vehicle will not run, or if it does it will run poorly. I hope for your sake that I am misunderstanding you and you didn't bend valves by having the crank at 3 teeth BTDC.

Lastly the purpose of the "60k service" is more than just replacing a timing belt. Very few people have ever broken a timing belt. The vast majority of those that have broke it only because another part of the timing belt system failed and burned the belt up. Thats why those other parts of the timing system (water pump, tensioner, idler(s), etc) are vital to be changed with the timing belt.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:50 PM   #4
bellaCuba
AF Regular

+1^^ Very good points Stealthee.... & I totally agree if the belt is off on teeth, it may not start. But that would be because the "timing" is out of whack, correct? There should be fuel & spark, correct?

& yes, I hope OP did what you stated, & that all marks are lined up as they should... pics, if taken, would be very helpful. If the OP could demonstrate what it looked like when installed, that is.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:57 PM   #5
1stGenParts
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthee View Post
I'm not exceptionally familiar with the 6G74, but am very familiar with its cousin the 6G72, both SOHC 12V and DOHC 24V.

I think its possible you may be a little confused on the instructions. (Damn, was afraid of that,) Usually the purpose of putting the crank back 3 teeth is to move the cam gears into place without the valves making contact with the pistons, but it should be at TDC when the timing belt is installed. (ok, then I screwed it up)

On the 24V DOHC and even the 4G63 the once the cam gears are aligned you usually put the crank gear back one tooth from TDC before installing the belt because the hydraulic tensioner will pull the crank gear forward that one tooth keeping everything aligned.

When it is all installed you should rotate the crank the proper amount of times and all marks should be aligned at TDC. (I wonder if its worth taking a chance that it could be ok?) If the crank is 3 teeth back from TDC the vehicle will not run, or if it does it will run poorly. I hope for your sake that I am misunderstanding you and you didn't bend valves by having the crank at 3 teeth BTDC. (Nope, thats what I did)

Lastly the purpose of the "60k service" is more than just replacing a timing belt. Very few people have ever broken a timing belt. The vast majority of those that have broke it only because another part of the timing belt system failed and burned the belt up. Thats why those other parts of the timing system (water pump, tensioner, idler(s), etc) are vital to be changed with the timing belt.
(oh ya, I changed all that stuff)

its the SOHC motor, Thanks for the quick reply
Old 08-04-2016, 09:16 PM   #6
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Yes, I knew it would be the SOHC, and I tried to do additional research for you, but basically came up with everything I already told you. Good luck, and be sure to post back with new findings.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:47 PM   #7
1stGenParts
AF Newbie

Guess I forgot to get back here, was a tooth off, apparently you install the crank one tooth back, and in the process of rotating it around the slack takes up and your dead on, has ran great for months, thanks agan

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Montero/Shogun/Pajero