Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 02:52 PM   #1
JDFester
AF Newbie

No low end power ...

I have a 2000 Z-71 with the 5.3L. The truck has plenty of power at take off, and at high RPM's, but when it downshifts, it has very little power. This happened fairly suddenly, and has continued. It is much less noticeable in the Tow/Haul mode, though this is likely due to the higher shift points. The truck has 106,000 miles on it. I have checked/replaced all I know to:

New Iridium spark plugs
New Plug Wires
New Ignition Coils (they were arc-ing between the dielectric can and the metal coils)
New Air Filter
More things I can't remember right now.

The truck does not, and has not ever, given a Check Engine Light or code.

Does anyone have any more ideas? I am thinking possibly fuel pump, as I have the somewhat common fuel gage irregularities, and can occaisionally hear it "sing" at idle speeds, but that doesn't make sense to me for having plenty of power at high RPMs but no power at low RPMs. Possibly fuel pressure problem? Any other ideas? Any and all ideas are appreciated!
JDFester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 11:17 PM   #2
1BadBowTie
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 1BadBowTie
Re: No low end power ...

Do you have an after market exhuast?? I know how far fetched it seems, but sometimes that can screw up your low end torque and power
1BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 11:53 PM   #3
99redsilverado
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: No low end power ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadBowTie
Do you have an after market exhuast?? I know how far fetched it seems, but sometimes that can screw up your low end torque and power
if it was an exhaust problem it would be throughouot the entire power band.....my guess is fuel pressure problem..try the regulator first...if that doesnt fix it, then do a fuel pump...although...does your truck shudder when it down shifts during these no-power moments??? could be transmission related...

'99 Silverado 4 x 4
bunch of goodies
99redsilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 07:05 AM   #4
JDFester
AF Newbie

I do have aftermarket exhaust, but that had worked fine for 60,000 miles before this problem showed up.

A friend told me to check transmission; said he had a very similar problem when a vaccum hose came loose on his older model Silverado. I have crawled under there and looked, but could find no vacuum hoses on the transmission. Should there be?

I don't know if I'd call it a shudder when it downshifts, but it definitely does something. To me, it almost sounds/feels like about half the cylinders drop out and don't come back up until I get it back up over 2000 rpm. The return to power is gradual, but the loss of power is instant.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:10 AM   #5
JDFester
AF Newbie

Is there a way to test the fuel pressure regulator? I see that they cost about $90, and I have already spent over $500 throwing new parts on the truck with no solution. Thanks!
Old 07-26-2005, 08:34 AM   #6
airjam18
AF Regular

there's a vacuum hose coming up off the regulator....pull it off and if fuel comes out the regulator's no good....i'd do this a couple times to check....
airjam18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 03:27 PM   #7
airtight_python
AF Regular

What about a stretched timing chain? I need to replace mine soon, I'm sure its the cause of my trucks sluggishness, as opposed to when I got it. I just put a new fuel pump on mine, that brought the high end back up a bit because the old pump was leaning out on me, but nothing down low.
airtight_python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 07:23 AM   #8
JDFester
AF Newbie

Well, no fuel at the regulator, so I guess that is good. Is there a way to check for a stretched timing chain? I am sick of throwing money at this thing with no improvement! Any other ideas? Yesterday I did notice it sounded like it could be missing while accelerating (or trying to!). It sounds smooth at idle, though.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:32 PM   #9
Silverado Brethern
AF Enthusiast

Could be something to do with a MAFS or O2 sensors. If you are getting an improper reading from those it could throw the air/fuel mixture out of whack and obviously give you problems. but IMO throwing all sorts of money at a problem is just not smart. Take it to a mechanic and have them find the problem for you and then you can fix what is actually the problem yourself.

1997 K-1500 Silverado Vortec 350...125,610 and wounded
HD chassis package
Custom TRUE DUAL exhaust with cut-outs and Flowmaster 40 series mufflers
Poweraid Throttle Body Spacer
Custom Ram-air Intake with K&N FIPK GEN II
TFES Performance 3" Suspension Lift
Dual Air-Horn Kit with Compressor
Bed-Mounted 48" Hi-Lift Jack
Cobra Laser Radar Detector
285/75/R16 Cooper Discoverer STT's

1/4 Mile 10/15/05: 16.43 @ 91mph
Silverado Brethern is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado