Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > MKT
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 10:32 PM   #1
shorod
SHO No Mo

My wife's MKT - photos

Yippie, a virgin forum, I get to be the first!

Since our family is soon to grow by one more (making for 3 little ones) my wife decided it was time to trade in her 2010 Lincoln MKZ which she bought new for a used 2010 MKT. This one was a Corporate Fleet vehicle with 36k miles on it, but no door dings. We found this one at a Lincoln dealer about an hour and a half away. Since she's on bed rest and will be for hopefully the next 2 and a half months, she didn't get to go along with me to check this one out and she hasn't been able to drive or even ride in it yet. I hope she likes it, I sure do.

I have a 2011 Taurus SHO with basically the same engine and drivetrain. I'm not sure how much heavier this MKT is than my SHO, but it doesn't really feel much slower. It gets up and goes. The seats are probably the most comfortable I've ever experienced and the ride is not too soft, but not firm either. This boat doesn't drive like one.

For the drive home from the dealer by myself I had an opportunity to experience the THX-certified audio system. I wasn't sure if this was mostly a gimmick like the "Bose" system in my 2007 G35. It's not, the sound is great! I really wish the SHO were offered with a THX system.

Even with me enjoying the power a bit, the MKT still averaged just over 22 mpg with mostly highway driving. There was a slight head wind so it could probably do slightly better, especially when my wife is able to drive it. She doesn't care about power. My biggest concern with her driving it (besides the size of it) is that it feels like it's barely moving even when it's going 30 mph.

Here are a few photos I took of it this evening. I haven't scaled them down so apologize if they show up huge.

These little touches, like the lighted sill plates, really impress me.

I'm looking forward to several more years of service from this vehicle.

-Rod
shorod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:02 AM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: My wife's MKT - photos

Well, I'm a bit late at posting this, but the MKT did provide several years of reliable service, as well as sacrificing itself to protect my family.

Back in early January some lady decided the stop sign at the end of the street she lived on was optional and slammed in to the MKT with my 7 year old on the passenger side second row and my 3 year old on the driver's side second row and wife driving. All the curtain airbags went off, but no one was hurt thankfully.

After several days of the body shop digging in to the damage, the lady's insurance company deemed the MKT a total loss. Primarily what drove the decision to total the car was not so much structural, but rather the cost to repair the air bags and interior. Because apparently the curtain airbags come down from the headliner, the headliner would need to be replaced along with the air bags. The Restraints Control Module blows and internal fuse when airbags go off so that would also need to be replaced. There were several seemingly little things that added up to the decision to total.

My wife has replaced the MKT with a Range Rover Sport and it's become very apparent in the 6 months since that you get a lot more for the money out of a Lincoln than out of a Range Rover. She loves her Range Rover but readily admits the MKT was more comfortable, had more space, was more practical, and got better fuel economy.

-Rod
shorod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:06 AM   #3
65comet
AF Enthusiast

Re: My wife's MKT - photos

15 years ago when a drunk driver in front of my wife ran a red light and totaled our Windstar and it saved her and our two year old daughter, I cried as I said goodbye to it and thanked it for protecting them.
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote