Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 11:10 AM   #1
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Rear wheel bearing hub and ABS

I just installed a new right rear hub bearing 2 weeks ago. Straight job. Funny, I was so used to see the ABS alert light (more than 10 years, I guess) that I just did not pay attention and to my great surprise, I heard the ABS do a normal cycle noise at start, and then the ABS alert light just disappeared....
I have never been impressed by the ABS performance, and in fact, it is a nuisance here in winter (as experienced soon in its first season 23 years ago) .....so I will pull the ABS fuse out next winter..... if I keep the car on the road for that next season....
Old 09-13-2016, 10:47 AM   #2
sergeimoskva
AF Newbie

Re: Rear wheel bearing hub and ABS

Hi !
In the winter I also disable the ABS. Simply disconnecting the socket on the hub.
So I feel more secure
sergeimoskva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:34 PM   #3
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Yep, in short ABS sucks. The only time it may actually help is on 100% dry roads with no gravel, dirt, leaves, or any sort of debris the cause traction loss. Many times driving on snowy/icy roads I have literally TAPPED my brakes only to have ABS engage and the car just keeps going. Its no different than the tires just locking up and sliding, except when the tires lock up you actually slow down faster due to friction.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:05 AM   #4
Jeffrv
AF Regular

I thought I was the only one who felt that way about ABS in these vans. First winter we had it both wife and I slid through so many intersections is was downright scary. Adding dedicated snow tires helped next season, but about 6 or 7 years ago brakes would shut down on low speed/light brake applications. Lots of banging from the ABS unit as it did its thing, but the rear bumper of the car in front of me would get really big in the windshield!. I suspect one of the front sensors would lose its signal, causing the ABS unit to think I am skidding on ice at plus 28C. I pulled the fuse, and have been meaning to further investigate, just never seemed to have gotten around to it.
Jeff
Jeffrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:56 AM   #5
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeimoskva View Post
Hi !
In the winter I also disable the ABS. Simply disconnecting the socket on the hub....
It depends on the year. IN '93 there is a dedicated fuse on the fuse panel just for the ABS. But I used other GM cars of other years where other circuits were fed together with the ABS, so it was not practical to pull that fuse out....but I could pull the connector at the ABS unit.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport