Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 09:29 PM   #76
fischandco
AF Newbie

Re: EveryOne with Transmission problems... A Chrysler Secret...! Read This...!

To all those complaining about not being able to find the wire splice. If you were paying attention the original poster already told you where the splice is as follows
1.The red wire from the solenoid pack.
2. The red wire from the TMC/EATX
3. the wire from the EATX relay
If you don't know where these are, buy the repair manual. Tip the EATX relay is in the relay box , under the hood right hand side right of the battery look on the lid for a chart.
fischandco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #77
RIP
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischandco View Post
To all those complaining about not being able to find the wire splice. If you were paying attention the original poster already told you where the splice is as follows
1.The red wire from the solenoid pack.
2. The red wire from the TMC/EATX
3. the wire from the EATX relay
If you don't know where these are, buy the repair manual. Tip the EATX relay is in the relay box , under the hood right hand side right of the battery look on the lid for a chart.

I'd bet people are looking for an answer like this: 3.5 inches from connector x on module x so they can avoid opening up harness after harness.

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:50 PM   #78
nsharma1999
AF Newbie

I have a 1999 Dodge Caravan which I bought new which now has approx. 100,000 miles. A few months ago the transmission started to slip and $1600 later I was the owner of a rebuilt transmission.

Fast forward 4 months and the transmission started bucking with intermittent hard shifts. Oddly enough the check engine light would come on and then go off. Like I said this was intermittent. Then three weeks ago the speedometer started acting like it was possessed. I would be driving and sudddenly the needle would jump from 50 to 120 back down to zero and everywhere in between. While it was doing this the transmission would start hunting for a gear and the van would start "bucking" for lack of a better word.

The check engine light would come on and sometimes the van would go into limp mode where it would only run in second gear. The upshifts and downshifts were harsh.

So I take it back to the transmission repair shop and they hook it up to the computer but they can't get a code. All the while the check engine light is on and the engine is racing at 3000 rpms. I can't drive faster than 50 or the revs go even higher... hence the term "limp mode".

The mechanic scratches his head and says he's not sure what could be causing this and alludes to the BCM/ECM, throttle body. Having done my homework I advise te mechanic that I'm pretty sure it's the Output Speed Sensor. After some discussion he agrees and two hours later I have my van back with the new $20 part.

Sure enough as I drive away the van runs like it's brand new. Now I'm wondering if I needed a transmission rebuild in the first place 4 months ago.

Anyways the lesson here is if your van has the same symptems you owe it to yourself to check the two sensors on the front side of the tranny. Also, check the wiring that plugs into the sensors as apparently this is problematic on these vehicles. This minor repair could save you $1600.
nsharma1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:21 AM   #79
rizky17
AF Newbie

wow thank you seems to me to be more to know about automotive
Old 03-04-2014, 05:39 PM   #80
JJFURAY
AF Newbie

George Arthur3. Just do I understand correctly from your original post. What was the secret for these transmission? Replacing the ground strap? Thanks, JJFURAY
JJFURAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:56 PM   #81
RIP
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFURAY View Post
George Arthur3. Just do I understand correctly from your original post. What was the secret for these transmission? Replacing the ground strap? Thanks, JJFURAY
\

Considering he started this thread 10 years ago and has posted twice in that 10 years he's most likely long gone. Replacing the ground strap has fixed some problems. I think his major point was telling us about the infamous shabby splice in the transmission electrical system. The implication is every van has that splice. Subsequent discussions on this and other forums concluded it was a limited production line fix for a very few early production 3rd generation vans.

The Following User Says Thank You to RIP For This Useful Post:
georgef61 (03-11-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 11:22 AM   #82
masseymechanic
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to masseymechanic

I run a fleet of Dodge Caravans from 1997 AWD to 2005 Caravan. The biggest problem we have found is the wiring itself. Comparing them to other makes over all they stand up the best. That being said. Transmission issue in the 1997. Same complaint as everybody else. At this point I am putting new shift solenoids in because they are due for it, not that they are gone. At over 300,000 km it is time. Will be checking all ground connections and voltages as I go through the system. Will post faults as I find them. We affectionately call them Crapavans.
masseymechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:15 AM   #83
pathic2003
AF Newbie

Exclamation Re: EveryOne with Transmission problems... A Chrysler Secret...! Read This...!

The 1995 dodge caravan has a red wire splice at the connector to the tcm located on the passenger's side firewall under hood just under windshield.at the conector there is a remuvable wire cap held on bye two side plastic clips.remove this cap find red wire follow it about four inches back there is a splice that splices two red wires ceck it first.
Then on same vehicle under battery is a splice on the big red wire it goes from red to green for about five inches then back to red.
Check that.the ground that hooks to the back end of starter bolt gos to your ac unit not the tranny but check it anyway.there are four ground wires to car altogether one is in middle of firewalk just under hood below windshield hooked to ac tubes other is passenger side firewall next to horns another is from battery to motor on driver side hooked to front cam head then last is one on bottom front hooked to back starter bolt about middle of car .
Hope this helps. I've replaced sensors in and out the solenoid pack and checked everywire but im still in limp mode my error code reads 37 witch means bad solenoid but that wasn't it ive paid hundreds and still up the creek without a paddle it blew the tranny system fuse twice before all this that was my only warning when the fuses blew it was after a rain i hooked up th diagnostic tool and it didn't read the computer at all.but the check engine light dos read 37 .im confused anyone had this problem plus my speedometer and odometer and overdrive don't work .
pathic2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:19 AM   #84
BobSwanson
AF Newbie

Question Re: EveryOne with Transmission problems... A Chrysler Secret...! Read This...!

I don't need you to tell me that this isn't a PT Cruiser forum. I can read just fine thank you. However, the Chrysler PT Cruiser and the Dodge Caravan have the same transmission. So, having said that, can you tell me where this splice is in the PT Cruiser exactly?
BobSwanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:56 PM   #85
RIP
AF -Advisor

I've never even touched a PT Cruiser.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:16 AM   #86
cowboystuff
AF Newbie

It's been a while and I was wondering if Sammantha had, had a cure for the transmission problem and the codes they had.
cowboystuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:52 PM   #87
138jbeck
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIP View Post
I'd bet people are looking for an answer like this: 3.5 inches from connector x on module x so they can avoid opening up harness after harness.
Well, I can say that this splice does exist, and in the Caravan I was working on, it was indeed just around 3 1/2" from the connector plug on the TCM (transmission control module) on the passenger side firewall.

After trying to diagnose my buddies 1990 Dodge Caravan 3.3 that was stuck in limp mode I discovered this exact thread on this forum. I took the tape off of the wiring harness near the TCM plug and discovered two red wires that ran next to each other. About 3.5" from the plug the red wires go into a short piece of black heat shrink tube. I cut the tube open and the red wires had been stripped for about 1" and were simply pressed together with only the shrink tubing and glue to make the contact. I separated the red wires, cleaned and soldered them and guess what, no more limp mode!

While that solved one problem with my friends Caravan we have a mystery miss that seems only to happen when the engine warms up. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Please see link below to my post for the details.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul....php?t=1145539
138jbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:52 PM   #88
cowboystuff
AF Newbie

Ya, I found that splice and one other. That splice has one wire from the relay, two wires from the TCM and one wire from the solenoid pack. I cut it apart, cleaned and re spliced the connection. No Difference, for me.
I finally found and bought the DRBII scan tool and body cable, $500, and the 41TE transaxle diagnostic book, $9.00. The book is needed to for analyzing the system with the DRBII scanner, as it has the diagnostic flow charts and what to do next. End result?
1st gear is fine, 2nd gear is fine, reverse is fine, but 3rd gear and overdrive clutches are slipping and the transmission needs a rebuild. $1500. After I got the scan tool and the book, it only took 10 minutes to properly analyze the problem and get the exact end result, after buying parts, throwing money at it, checking here, youtube and the internet, for 5 months. The local Chrysler dealer absolutely could not help me, and also no longer even had the DRBII scanner to even do a quick relearn of the TCM.
Currently trying to save money for the rebuild and should have just taken it to the transmission shop, back in August.
cowboystuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:08 AM   #89
NigonKouk
AF Newbie

SERVICE ALERT FOR MOPAR TRANSMISSIONS BETWEEN 1990 AND 1999: It has been determined that in over 91% of the transmission problem cases reported (limp mode) that the problem is due, not to mechanical problems within the transmission, but is due instead to a faulty inline wiring harness splice from the factory. The wire from the TCM, the second wire from the solenoid pack and the third wire from the ECU was wired together at the factory when it was determined that there was a communications error to the ECU which is a factory/design flaw.

So on the production floor, a last minut repair was approved to correct the problem. This three wire splice is located in the wiring harness just on top of the transmission down by the three wires that connect to the three plugs located between the radiator and the tranny (or in the region about 12 inches under the battery). Follow the three wires from the front of the tranny and you'll see them disappear into a plastic wireing harness cover about a foot away from where they plug into the tranny. This wireing harness goes into a T junction with another wireing harness. Peel off the entire outer plastic conduit harness covering the T junction about 8 inches in all three directions and you will be able to see the other three wires wired together in a makeshift splice under some factory electrical tape. Peel that tape off and you will discover that the splice is corroded. Because of this corroded factory last minut splice which said corrosion appears about between 30,000 and 120,000 miles depending on how wet your geography is, the ECU cannot communicate with the selenoid pack that goes to the transmission so irregular shifting occurs, namely Limp Mode.

Most certified mechanics only detect the fact that the selenoid pack is not getting a signal or the ECU is not sending a signal so they think that either the selenoid pack is bad or the ECU is bad. They are wrong in both cases. Un-splice the three wires, cut off the corroded wire ends, cut back the insulation to the three wires and RE-SPLICE THEM. Then cover them with new tape. Now the tranny coil pack can recieve messages from the ECU to shift the tranny. Its that simple! ! ! ! ! ! ! Your eternal problem has now been permanently solved and your tranny will shift like new! ! ! ! One other thing, on some Mopar vans this simple problem that causes real havoc in these beautiful vans is the ground wire to the tranny is corroded and must be cleaned or replaced as it causes that same exact simptom of limp mode due to a bad connection.

If people making their complaints on this page knew this, they would still love their vans because they can fix it themselves. Mopar corperation knew this but cannot admit to it as it would cause the largest recall in U.S. history of any vehicle. Now you know what Mopar should have told every Caravan and Voyager purchaser from the get go, clean 3 little wires and problem solved. I assume many mechanics find this after replacing a transmission and re-wire the splice and never tell the customer so that customer thinks the new tranny solved the problem.

- vonbraun, Los Alamos, NM, USA
NigonKouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:16 PM   #90
RIP
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigonKouk View Post
SERVICE ALERT FOR MOPAR TRANSMISSIONS BETWEEN 1990 AND 1999...
So so very old and for the most part erroneous news.