Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Avalon/Pronard
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 10:21 AM   #1
CharlesS
AF Newbie

Passenger Floorboard Wet

I own a 2002 Toyota Avalon with 123,000 miles. Recently I have noticed that the floor board on the passenger side is wet. It appears to be wet only on the bottom and not along the edges. My first thought was the heater core but I do not appear to be loosing any coolant the car has not overheated and the tempature is normal. Also it does not appear to be leaking under the dash. I have also checked around the passenger door during a rain storm but do not see any visible leaks. Does anyone have any suggestions on what may be causing it? Thanks !
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 04:53 PM   #2
RIP
AF -Advisor

Re: Passenger Floorboard Wet

Its' either a clogged A/C drain line that's making collected condensation drip on the floor, a leaking heater core, or a leaking windshield seal. Easy for me to say but, you have to look a little closer. One clue, if the liquid is slimmy, it's coolant from the heater core. If not, you'll have to chase down the other two possibilities. Try drapping plastic in the area to catch the leak, then inspect the fluid.

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:58 AM   #3
CharlesS
AF Newbie

Thanks for responding. The liquid does not appear to be slimmy so I will look closely at the other options. The A/C has not been ran for several months. Would enough condensation still form to saturate the floor board? Any tips on locating the drain line and clearing it?? Again Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIP
Its' either a clogged A/C drain line that's making collected condensation drip on the floor, a leaking heater core, or a leaking windshield seal. Easy for me to say but, you have to look a little closer. One clue, if the liquid is slimmy, it's coolant from the heater core. If not, you'll have to chase down the other two possibilities. Try drapping plastic in the area to catch the leak, then inspect the fluid.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:54 AM   #4
tfeld
AF Newbie

The A/C is always on if you use the AUTO feature, so still could be the problem. Another possibility is your sunroof. There should be drain holes in the gutter of the sunroof (there are on a couple other toyota's I have, but I've not looked at my Avalon). If those holes get clogged up with debris, water can build up in the gutter and leak into the car. Alternatively, the drain-hole hoses (which run in the A-pillar) could have come loose or developed a lead, leading to water in the car.
tfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:51 AM   #5
Ltabora
AF Newbie

I have the exact same problem with my Avalon '02. Did you ever find out where the problem was/is?

I recently purchased the vehicle with very low miles on it (under 40K) and hadn't noticed the leak because of the floor mats. I've seen other forums and it seems this problem is quite common.
Ltabora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:08 PM   #6
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.

Blow out the A/C drain from the bottom of the car. That is normally the problem.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:32 PM   #7
Ltabora
AF Newbie

Thank you for your quick response! How exactly do I get to the A/C drain? I've also noticed it generally happens when it rains. - You think this has to do with the A/C?
Thanks!
LT
Old 12-05-2010, 07:46 AM   #8
CharlesS
AF Newbie

I have never been able to determine what is causing the leak. The water gathers in a void up under the carpet and is crystal clear. I have sprayed the car continually with a hose and have also ran the a/c for extended periods with the carpet removed and have not been able to see any leaking?? This only occurs on the passenger side and seems to happen during or after rain. It seems that sometimes months may pass before the carpet is wet?
Old 12-05-2010, 01:27 PM   #9
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltabora View Post
Thank you for your quick response! How exactly do I get to the A/C drain? I've also noticed it generally happens when it rains. - You think this has to do with the A/C?
Thanks!
LT
There is an open tube under the car near the firewall on the passenger's side. That is the A/C drain.

Although the most common problem with a wet floor results from a blocked A/C drain, another possible cause is the sunroof drain being plugged. I'm sure there are other possibilities, but these are the only ones I have seen.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:22 PM   #10
Ltabora
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
I have never been able to determine what is causing the leak. The water gathers in a void up under the carpet and is crystal clear. I have sprayed the car continually with a hose and have also ran the a/c for extended periods with the carpet removed and have not been able to see any leaking?? This only occurs on the passenger side and seems to happen during or after rain. It seems that sometimes months may pass before the carpet is wet?
I've only been able to notice it after it rains. I don't see any trace of gasket/window leaks on either passenger door. - Yes, it only occurs on the passenger side of my vehicle as well, and if it wasn't because the carpet had some stains (which was just that they were soaked) I probably wouldn't have noticed it since I just got the car a few months ago. - This is really odd, and the people who sold it to me told me I had to take it to a body shop, since its not a mechanical issue
Old 12-06-2010, 06:23 PM   #11
Ltabora
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian R. View Post
There is an open tube under the car near the firewall on the passenger's side. That is the A/C drain.

Although the most common problem with a wet floor results from a blocked A/C drain, another possible cause is the sunroof drain being plugged. I'm sure there are other possibilities, but these are the only ones I have seen.
Thanks! I'll take a look into the A/C drain.. can't be the sunroof since my Avalon doesn't have one..
Old 12-22-2010, 05:35 AM   #12
JackThomas
AF Newbie

Thanks for information..... The A/C has not been ran for several months. I've also noticed it generally happens when it rains...
JackThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:30 AM   #13
Ltabora
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackThomas View Post
Thanks for information..... The A/C has not been ran for several months. I've also noticed it generally happens when it rains...
Have you had any luck finding the leak? I still haven't. - I've been told by my local mechanic to take the car to a body shop... I've been trying to avoid just that..
Old 01-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #14
osteve150
AF Newbie

I own a 2002 avalon xls... last winter this happened to me, i took the trim out of the passenger side and pulled the carpet back to find a sopping mess... its clean rain water. after drying it all out and pulling the wipers off and the cowling underneath the wipers, i ran a hose down the windshield and found it was leaking through the firewall somehow... its hard to see at first because the sound deadining material absorbs most of the water so it has to get fully saturated before you will see water coming through. After doing this i just continued to run water down the winshield and finally the water began coming through the wheel well like its supposed to. I have read on other forums that this is something that is covered by toyota for having a poorly designed drain on that side that frequently clogs with ice and debris allowing water to overflow into the cabin. after i flushed mine it was fine.... until today! 1 year later same weather conditions..redid the process, it seems to be draining fine now. am def. going to investigate if toyota will fix this one on them!
osteve150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:03 PM   #15
osteve150
AF Newbie

please let me know if this fixs anyone elses problems....or if someone gets some info on fixing the drain for good.
osteve150 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Avalon/Pronard