Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 11:03 PM   #16
guttermandan
AF Newbie

Re: Rodeo Stutters Then "Check Trans" and "Cruise Control" Lights Come On...

Been having these exact same problems for 4 weeks now. So glad to finally find this. My mechanic is stumped, been out of state to an electrician, stumped him, been to a transmission shop, stumped them. I'm on my own now and not very mechanically inclined. Would love to hear if the wiring harness was it, as I'm waiting on an IMG to come in so I can attempt to replace it ( with professional help of course). I know its bad, but am wondering if I should go ahead and look for a wireing harness while I'm waiting.
guttermandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:10 PM   #17
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

Car Show Tips
Operations manager with a results-driven passion for process improvement
FAQ 98-04 Isuzu Rodeo, Rodeo Sport, Amigo, Trooper

SOLD - NOV2015 - 2000 Amigo, V6, HT winter, ST summer, 2wd
amigo-2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:29 PM   #18
guttermandan
AF Newbie

Read the link you sent me to, (Thanks by the way for the quick response), Anyway, that link said the vehicle died when put in park, mine does it when put into drive, sometimes, not always. When I can get it going down the road, it will just shudder, trans and cruise lights come on and it will die, no matter what speed I'm going, it's especially bad when on rough road, or railroad crossings and the such. Is this still basically the same problem you you are refering me to?
Old 09-15-2006, 07:44 AM   #19
rodeosue
AF Newbie

My original problem started occurring about 2 years ago. It stumped every mechanic I took it to. It started in the mid fall (I live in New England) and continued sporatically throughout the winter months. Around May, it just disappeared. For 5 months it was fine, then, once the weather started to turn cool again it reappeared. Once again in May it disappeared. I'm now waiting to see if it reappears this year. My problem does not sound as serious as yours -- it just seems to hiccup for a second, then continue on. Occasionally it will stall and I will need to restart it. I've decided to live with it. It has not caused any serious inconvenience and I'm just about to trade it for another vehicle anyway. My mechanics did not seem to think that the expensive wiring harness was the cause.
rodeosue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 10:14 PM   #20
guttermandan
AF Newbie

Breakthrough today with my Rodeo. It was definately the wireing harness. Tore into the harness and started wiggling wires, after a little over an hour of searching, found the problem, a broken wire (cruise control to be exact) Couldn't get the cruise control to work for weeks now, yet the light on the dash that says "Cruise Set" would come on with the "Check Trans" light whenever the Rodeo would shudder or die. After splicing the wire back together, took it for a spin. Ran like the day I bought it, even on the roughest road, not one flare up, not one light, and even the cruise control works again.

The wire is in a smaller harness (only 4 or 5 wires) inside the main harness. one of the wires is a naked ground wire, the cruise control wire is yellow. The smaller harness is wrapped with aluminum tape then wrapped with black tape. Evidently the broken wire is sporadically touching the aluminum tape which in turn is touching the ground wire, grounding out the system. I believe that if it were'nt for that naked ground wire, or the aluminum tape, the only problem I would have had would have been the loss of cruise control, not the major problems I was having.

I hope that this info might be able to help someone out in the future, just as the info I found helped me to locate the source of my problems. And 750.00 is a big hunk of change compared to 2 hours of time and a roll of black tape.

God Bless this Forum.
The Following User Says Thank You to guttermandan For This Useful Post:
MoniB (08-23-2015)
Old 09-21-2006, 09:05 PM   #21
briantedder
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to briantedder

Wow, having the same problem, I live down a rough road, and if there is a day the check trans, and cruise control light doesn't come on I am amazed. My vehicle cuts off when those two lights come on, I am use to putting the vehicle in neutral and starting it back up while the car is still moving.
I will check my wires!
briantedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 10:59 AM   #22
tarcher1216
AF Newbie

BINGO !!!!! I say it was the same problem I had to the t. It sounded like you had my car LOL. It was the wiring harness., The dealer about 50 miles away had the vehicle for 5 days. They said this problems is common. I asked then why don't you keep in stock the harness. I had to wait 4 days for the part to arrive. Anyway this fixed the problem. shifts easier too. I THANK GOD I purchased the extended warrenty when I bought the Rodeo. It only cost me $100.00 but the whole deal was over $850.00. She runs like she is brand new. oooo I have 91,230 miles on it. The only major problem was the transfer case. blew up and had to hit it replaced at 12,340 miles and the eg valve had to be cleaned and then replaced. $300.00 for that . at about 45,000 miles. I think Im going to keep awhile longer.
tarcher1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:52 PM   #23
rodeosue
AF Newbie

Finally, after 2 years of having this problem I finally found a mechanic that solved the problem -- IT"S NOT THE WIRING HARNESS. My mechanic was finally able to talk with someone at Isuzu and found out that this problem is not unique. It is one of the cylinders misfiring. To solve the problem you need to have a different kind of spark plug (I believe they're ceramic) -- not the titanium plugs that came with the vehicle. It's been 2 months now of blissful driving.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:14 PM   #24
trooperbc
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeosue
Finally, after 2 years of having this problem I finally found a mechanic that solved the problem -- IT"S NOT THE WIRING HARNESS. My mechanic was finally able to talk with someone at Isuzu and found out that this problem is not unique. It is one of the cylinders misfiring. To solve the problem you need to have a different kind of spark plug (I believe they're ceramic) -- not the titanium plugs that came with the vehicle. It's been 2 months now of blissful driving.
thanks for the followup --

*did you ever have any CEL codes from this? like random misfire or such?
**were the plugs that solved the problem different from what the owners manual recommends(ed) ?
***can you look at your invoice or ask the mechanic : what specifically are the plugs that solved the problem:brand, number, etc ?

thanks

//bc

i love a good intermittent electrical challenge. . .especially when it's someone else's.
trooperbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 06:48 AM   #25
rodeosue
AF Newbie

Yes. The mechanic was able to pull some codes that showed the history of the misfirings (once he knew what he was looking for). Yes, the spark plugs are different from what the owner's manual recommends. You can contact Isuzu and they will tell you the kind to use. Sorry, I don't have my invoice anymore. It was more than 2 months ago.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:16 PM   #26
manny184
AF Newbie

Smile Re: Rodeo Stutters Then "Check Trans" and "Cruise Control" Lights Come On...

ATTENTION!!!!!! the breakthrough is correct!! the cruise control wire (yellow) from the PCM to the Acceleration Pedal Sensor IS the wire that shorts out Isuzu Rodeos. If you cannot afford to pay someone to find the short, CUT the solid yellow wire from the PCM (its the only solid yellow wire that connects to the PCM). After cutting the wire, take a new wire and simply connect it to the PCM and the sensor which is under the gas pedal. THIS IS DEFINITELY THE SOLUTION!!! contact me if you need any help!!!
manny184 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to manny184 For This Useful Post:
MoniB (08-23-2015)
Old 09-03-2014, 11:34 AM   #27
thedarkone1968
AF Newbie

so I have perches a 2000 passport and it also doing the check trans and cruise control light comes on is there any pics to show what wire it is
thedarkone1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:14 PM   #28
MoniB
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: Rodeo Stutters Then "Check Trans" and "Cruise Control" Lights Come On...

Thank you manny184 and guttermandan!!! My husband and I have been trying to fix the shuddering/check trans/cruise set problem for a couple of months on my 2002 Axiom. The tranny is only a year and a half old. We tried all kinds of things like new spark plugs (a couple of different types), new battery, new alternator, fuels pump and other fuel system components. We also put in a new computer. We decided to try one more thing before giving the car away so we tried your fix. We cut the yellow wire at the PCM and put a new wire from there to the connector on upper part of the accelerator as manny184 said. It worked, I am so happy! On my Axiom, there were two solid yellow wires going to the PCM. The one that we needed was on the RED (not blue) connector and the wiring chart called it position S78. Thank you, thank you! I love my car
MoniB is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU