Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 02:41 PM   #16
drand
AF Newbie

Re: Bypassed TheftLock on GM Chevy Class II MP3 CD HU

Have a Radio/stereo/cd from 2004 silverado. GM part no. 10357894 , Delphi Part No. 12244929 . I can't get the radio to light up or show me LOC message. Pin Outs are as follows for the 24 pin plug.
Looking at it from with the 12 pins to the top B is on left and A on the right.
12-b------Park 12A -------GND
11 -------RF + 11 --------RR +
10 RF - 10---------RR-
9-------LR- 9---------LF -
8 LR+ 8---------LF +
7 RUI 2 7---------RUI 1
6 AMP Mute 6---------RUI REF OUT
5 N/C 5---------ANT GND
4 DIM + 4---------FM DET
3 SW 12V OUT 3---------RSA Enable
2 IGN 12 V 2---------CLASS 2 B
1 BATT 12 V 1---------CLASS 2 A

I have wired this up on bench with battery and 4 speakers, both 12v Batt and IGN. and GND. I get no response from radio but the clock and the cd player operate. Any ideas on why no power is getting to radio section.?

Last edited by drand; 05-15-2011 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Chart was not lined up right
drand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #17
Starflare5
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince27 View Post
all works fine accept am,fm presets lost when car is shutoff.any help there
Thanks
Hey there. I know what you mean. I found this to be data bus related. If you're running it by 12 volt ignition, and you have a GM vehicle older than 1995, you can connect the E&C data buss, however, you may not have any access to any external add ons such as XM or a CD changer, however, it will keep it's memory. If you connect it to the data bus in a GM vehicle newer than 1995 (E&C or class 2), you should not experience any issues at all.

I hope this helps,
Starflare5.

Last edited by Starflare5; 01-06-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Starflare5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:06 PM   #18
Starflare5
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by drand View Post
Have a Radio/stereo/cd from 2004 silverado. GM part no. 10357894 , Delphi Part No. 12244929 . I can't get the radio to light up or show me LOC message. Pin Outs are as follows for the 24 pin plug.
Looking at it from with the 12 pins to the top B is on left and A on the right.
12-b------Park 12A -------GND
11 -------RF + 11 --------RR +
10 RF - 10---------RR-
9-------LR- 9---------LF -
8 LR+ 8---------LF +
7 RUI 2 7---------RUI 1
6 AMP Mute 6---------RUI REF OUT
5 N/C 5---------ANT GND
4 DIM + 4---------FM DET
3 SW 12V OUT 3---------RSA Enable
2 IGN 12 V 2---------CLASS 2 B
1 BATT 12 V 1---------CLASS 2 A

I have wired this up on bench with battery and 4 speakers, both 12v Batt and IGN. and GND. I get no response from radio but the clock and the cd player operate. Any ideas on why no power is getting to radio section.?
I'm not sure where you got that info, but I have attached the standard pinout info for a Delphi Class 2 head unit from Delphi themselves.

Also, remember, to get it to power up through the 12V ignition, you must dis-engage that pin on that EEprom first. With this pin engaged, it causes the head unit to be powered on only when given permission by the data buss.

I hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10348716PinOut2-2.jpg (36.2 KB, 28 views)
Old 07-18-2011, 04:12 PM   #19
mixmaster3000
AF Newbie

I had an electrical short and my Theftlock was activated.

After running around the internet for 3 days, I found this solution.

I tried lifting the #8 pin, that did not work and resulted in ERROR and still did not function.

Reaching the point of frustration, and the option to replace the radio at less than the $100 cost that the dealer wanted to charge me to take 5 minutes with a Tech II scanner, I removed the 9355093 chip entirely and VIOLA, it works!

THEFTLOCK is disabled, AM/FM, RDS (clock update), Radio Presets, CD / CASSETTE, all function as normal.

I do get the CAL ERROR for 2 seconds when I power on the radio, but no problems arise from it.

I know this is an OLD post, but I wanted to add my 2 cents if someone else has this issue and comes across this post, they can fix it.

I dont know anymore than NUKU, the OP, but with the amazing detail, I was able to bring this zombie hu back to life.

THANKS TO YOU ALL!!
mixmaster3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:38 AM   #20
Starflare5
AF Newbie

Hi there,

I found an interesting side effect and, I'm not sure if this applies to the newer MP3 CD head units. As an experiment in this before I got my Mp3 head unit, I decided to test this article on a non-MP3 CD RDS Delphi head unit made in 2003 that I picked up from a junk yard for 10 bucks. From what I found out, the way that 9355093 chip allows the unit to turn on is basically like a serial relay. When the class 2 tells it to turn on the head unit, it basically turns the chip off and allows the 12volt memory/battery constant to power the head unit through 2 separate circuts. The ETR main power is the first, and the amplifier, power antenna, and accessory power are part of the second. If you simply disconnect just pin 8 on the chip, you turn off power to it and also disconnect the 12 volt memory from powering on the ETR portion of the head unit and allow the 12 volt ignition to power it on, however, 12 volt memory may remain still running to the amplifiers, power antenna out and accessory out. If you remove the chip completely, this defeats the 12 volt memory power from powering on that second circut and allows it to be controlled by 12 volt ignition as well. Once I recieve my MP3 CD head unit from 2006, I'll let you know my findings.

A note on the internal amplifiers: If power is still running to them without the main radio, this can cause them to heat up.

Thank you and I hoipe this helps most of you,

Starflare5.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:23 PM   #21
Starflare5
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starflare5 View Post
Hi there,

I found an interesting side effect and, I'm not sure if this applies to the newer MP3 CD head units. As an experiment in this before I got my Mp3 head unit, I decided to test this article on a non-MP3 CD RDS Delphi head unit made in 2003 that I picked up from a junk yard for 10 bucks. From what I found out, the way that 9355093 chip allows the unit to turn on is basically like a serial relay. When the class 2 tells it to turn on the head unit, it basically turns the chip off and allows the 12volt memory/battery constant to power the head unit through 2 separate circuts. The ETR main power is the first, and the amplifier, power antenna, and accessory power are part of the second. If you simply disconnect just pin 8 on the chip, you turn off power to it and also disconnect the 12 volt memory from powering on the ETR portion of the head unit and allow the 12 volt ignition to power it on, however, 12 volt memory may remain still running to the amplifiers, power antenna out and accessory out. If you remove the chip completely, this defeats the 12 volt memory power from powering on that second circut and allows it to be controlled by 12 volt ignition as well. Once I recieve my MP3 CD head unit from 2006, I'll let you know my findings.

A note on the internal amplifiers: If power is still running to them without the main radio, this can cause them to heat up.

Thank you and I hope this helps most of you,

Starflare5.
Howdy everybody,

Well, I got the radio with the exact same part number: 15216905, however, this head unit was more different on the inside than described. Instead of it having the theftlock/security chip located near the corner of the board towrard the front of the unit, it was located directly in the middle of the board. I removed the chip and then tested to see if it would work off of 12 volt ignition and had no a no go. Here's what I've figured out so far; Any of the Delphi/Delco radios made newer that 2003, that do not have the date sticker on top, and have the manufactuer date and a Delphi part number and a GM part number printed on the side sticker, are designed with an internal programmed feature that only allows them to be powered on via the Class II data bus, however, can be taken to a dealer to be programmed to operate via 12 volt ignition. Since I'm not really willing to fork out much more money for this thing, I am going to look for an alternative way to bypass it on this type of radio and will let you all know my findings.

Thank you,

Starflare5.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:14 PM   #22
lesterl
AF Regular

Perhaps google the P# off the Eeprom and replace it with a blank one???? couple bucks.....
lesterl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:42 AM   #23
Starflare5
AF Newbie

Hey guys,

I know this an old thread, but, I thought I'd let you all know of my findings in this case. I decided to do this myself in order to have my radio control my factory compatible CD changer instead of using an FM modulator. First of all, you can actually make a newer Delco/Delphi head unit work without class 2 data buss and/or without programming by unlocking, or, technically "jailbreaking" the unit. All newer Delco/Delphi newer head units with a "Band" button and/or the multi-disc symbol are both CD changer and/or XM radio compatible which can give you a few more options. They are also all pretty backwards compatible with a few exceptions.

How to make the head unit work is rather simple. As described in the previous post, You can de-solder pin 8 on the security chip marked 9355093, however, I have dug deeper than that and thought I'd share with all of you my findings. First of all, I recommend simply removing the chip completely. After you de-solder pin 8, the head unit becomes automatically compatible with every GM class 2 vehicle out there, and, in some casses, even E&C and non data bus vehicles, and, there is basically no point to leaving the chip in otherwise. This chip is also what causes a GM tech 2 scan tool to free and restrict certain features of the radio as well such as XM and others. If you're wanting a head unit that is going to be compatible with all vehicles, and, will power o via 12 volt ignition, you want a Delco/Delphi unit made prior to 2004 with a date code sticker on the top panel, and, no Delphi part number on the side sticker. Inside the head unit, you will find the security chip located close to a front corner of the main board. For example; On a Chevrolet head unit, the chip should be located on the underside of the board toward the front inside opposite the audio adjustment knob. On a Pontiac head units, you'll find it in the same corner toward the front opposite the Traf, Prog/Type, and HR/MN buttons. Before removing the chip, remove the faceplate, front metal panel, and, if applicable, the cassette drive for easy access to the chip.

Class 2 head units made from 2004 to around 2006 and some newer, have the date code and a Delphi part number on the side panel. These units are designed to power on by data bus only and will not power on by 12 volt ignition power. These units also have the chip directly in the middle underside of the main board.

For either type, I recommend removing the chip instead of taking it to a dealer for programming where as in some cases, programming may cause features to be restricted such as a CD changer or XM radio tuner.

Precautionary note: On vehicles older than 1995 with an early E&C data buss, I do not recommend connecting it to the unit due to it will prevent the unit from accessing any external add-ons or devices, however, will help it to retain it's preset and audio settings if it is connected. On vehicles made 1995 or newer with E&C 1.5 and/or Class 2, connecting the unit to the data buss
should not cause any issues. Also, remember, in this case, "Calibrate" and/or "Cal Error" is a good thing.

Some head units may have a memory loss issue with presets, last function used, and EQ position when they are not connected to a data buss.

Remember, all newer units have a delayed power off sequence even when RAP is not involved. This is residual power leaving the capacitors of the unit, and, if you have an amp connected, it is normal to hear a bass pop from the speakers a few seconds after you have turned off the unit or vehicle.

The part numbers of at least the MP3 head units compatible with all vehicles with or without Class 2 data bus are:

10348717 (Chevrolet Head Unit)
10348716 (Pontiac Head Unit)
15216905 Series 1 (Chevrolet/GMC Truck head unit)

Compatible with vehicles with E&C 1.5 or class 2 only:

15216905 Series 2 (Chevrolet/GMC Truck head unit)
28016697 (Pontiac Head Unit)

Please take note that this can apply to almost all Delco/Delphi class 2 head units. Just to let you all know, I have the Pontiac unit in my vehicle, however, it has the memory issues.

I hope this helps.

Starflare5.

Last edited by Starflare5; 01-06-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:57 AM   #24
Wallstreet22
AF Newbie

Smile Re: Bypassed TheftLock on GM Chevy Class II MP3 CD HU

I read your post on Automotive Forums regarding the eprom removal.
I have a Delco p/n 10315119 w/o tape w/ CD from 2001 MC. I opened the metal "bottom" to acces the 9355093 eprom. I do not see that number on any chip on the main board (6"x9"). There are three eproms on edge w/ heat sink plate. Numbers and size(.25"x.36") do not match. Re-reading your post and nuku's post, is the eprom 9355093 behind the face panel. I removed the face, prying the eight plastic locks loose. There is a board 3"x9" behind the face place held in place by very small screws. That is the only other board I see; also it reflects on the "hr.mn buttons" terminology.
There is a very small (approx .25"x.36") "eprom" on the 6x9 board however it does not notate 9355093.
(Anyone) Please clarify

FYI. I sent a 10335223 to a repair center just before reading the posts. They told me they would replace the eprom with a new one and burn it to fit any GM car. Cost: $50 plus $12 postage. Their refernce to eprom was what led me to search "eprom GM RDS" and find this post. Maybe $62 is cheap for an electronic lesson
Quote:
Hey guys,

I know this an old thread, but, ....snip.
Wallstreet22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #25
Starflare5
AF Newbie

Hey there,

The Eeprom chip you are attempting to locate is where there are 2 small 8 pin chips located (if facing the head unit's main center board only from the rear underside up) in the right hand corner of the board toward the front with one chip after another. The security 9355093 chip is the one located closest to the front edge of the board. The writing may not be seeable on the chip. In fact, it is printed so faintly in some cases, it may appear to not be printed on at all. I believe this was for identity protection purposes on Delphi's part, however, instead of hiding the chip, they made it stick out like a sore thumb. Remember that this Eeprom is located on the main board only and not the faceplate.

I hope this clarifies this for you.

By the way, what is this service ceter you sent yours to? Just wondering for reference. Also, take note, with the eeprom installed/replaced, it prevents the unit from being turned on via 12 volt ignition.

Thank you,
Starflare5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallstreet22 View Post
I read your post on Automotive Forums regarding the eprom removal.
I have a Delco p/n 10315119 w/o tape w/ CD from 2001 MC. I opened the metal "bottom" to acces the 9355093 eprom. I do not see that number on any chip on the main board (6"x9"). There are three eproms on edge w/ heat sink plate. Numbers and size(.25"x.36") do not match. Re-reading your post and nuku's post, is the eprom 9355093 behind the face panel. I removed the face, prying the eight plastic locks loose. There is a board 3"x9" behind the face place held in place by very small screws. That is the only other board I see; also it reflects on the "hr.mn buttons" terminology.
There is a very small (approx .25"x.36") "eprom" on the 6x9 board however it does not notate 9355093.
(Anyone) Please clarify

FYI. I sent a 10335223 to a repair center just before reading the posts. They told me they would replace the eprom with a new one and burn it to fit any GM car. Cost: $50 plus $12 postage. Their refernce to eprom was what led me to search "eprom GM RDS" and find this post. Maybe $62 is cheap for an electronic lesson
Old 01-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #26
Wallstreet22
AF Newbie

I only see one eprom chip on the face of the main nboard (not face board) with four pins on either side. It is near the right front with "bottom side up" close to a plug. The number is 56585 TBDK.
There are two eproms on the very right edge one after the other; both 8 pin; one (second on back) is straight 8 the other(first to the front) looks staggered 8 both in upright orientation; They are backed up with the heat sink plate. Neither of them say 9355093. I did originally look at both of these eproms; removed the sink and looked for numbers; they were visible but no 9355093. I returned them w/ white contact grease.

The center is ARJ International
snip... "prevents the unit from being turned on via 12 volt ignition."

So how would one turn on the radio? The tech will call me Monday with a quote on a few other items. I will confirm it must operate correctly. He told me he burns the new chip and I might see the CAL ERROR(?) momentarily on start. Should I have him just remove altogether and not replace? NO burn..

Quote:
Hey there,

The Eeprom chip you are attempting to locate is where there are 2 small 8 pin chips located (if facing the head unit's main center board only from the rear underside up) in the right hand corner of the board toward the front with one chip after another. The security 9355093 chip is the one located closest to the front edge of the board. The writing may not be seeable on the chip. In fact, it is printed so faintly in some cases, it may appear to not be printed on at all. I believe this was for identity protection purposes on Delphi's part, however, instead of hiding the chip, they made it stick out like a sore thumb. Remember that this Eeprom is located on the main board only and not the faceplate.

I hope this clarifies this for you.

By the way, what is this service ceter you sent yours to? Just wondering for reference. Also, take note, with the eeprom installed/replaced, it prevents the unit from being turned on via 12 volt ignition.

Thank you,
Starflare5.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #27
Wallstreet22
AF Newbie

I received the 10335223 Impala 2004 RDS radio w/ CD back from tech. I installed it and it works as it should. They removed old & burned new eprom. NO CAL ERROR as they said MIGHT occur on startup. I viewed the main board from tech work and saw nothing unusual. I did not see the eproms or if they are visible, they are different than OEM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallstreet22 View Post
I only ...
snip.....
Old 05-02-2012, 11:09 PM   #28
pigseye
AF Newbie

Hello all,
Can a 2001 cd player from a Malibu work in a 2004 Impala?

Thanks
Steve
pigseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:47 PM   #29
Wallstreet22
AF Newbie

Yes if you unlock the 2001 player.
Is it RDS?
Does it require a code?
OR Does the BCM signal the radio to operate.
I sent my 2004 RDS out for an EProm replacement as I could not find the eprom nor was I able to have others define or locate it on my radio. Some disconnect the eprom. Mine was replaced and burnt to be accepted to any GM vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigseye View Post
Hello all,
Can a 2001 cd player from a Malibu work in a 2004 Impala?

Thanks
Steve
Old 05-03-2012, 02:28 AM   #30
SpecInfoTinkerMod
AF Newbie

Hey all,
I have been puzzling this one for a while - an '01 Malibu cd/cassette player to replace an '03 Silverado Cd only. After the dealer couldn't unlock it, and I determined the VIN issue, I was overjoyed to find this thread to point my probings inside. But after lifting pin 8, removing the EPROM completely, swapping the two, etc. I only managed to remove functionality completely from the '01 unit (shows 'ERROR') with the chip replaced (before it functioned on acc. as previously noted in this thread), and leave the original functioning but showing 'Cal Error'. No biggy there, but if Wallstreet22 could a avail me of the info on the tech shop that burns a vehicle-specific EPROM, I'd be most appreciative. I would like to give that a shot. I just spent a frustrating evening with the soldering iron, only to return things to how they started!
The '03 unit has the EPROM in the center of the board, as was stated above; apparently, putting an older unit in its place isn't like putting newer in older vehicle. Any advice/input would be appreciated. I quite appreciate these lovely GM engineers; particularly their audible safety warnings system being run through the radio (?!?), making an after-market unit equally hassle-causing.
Cheers ;-]- Tony
SpecInfoTinkerMod is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > General Discussion