Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Chevelle
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
Echos Myron
AF Newbie

Rochester 2-barrel problem

Hi, I have a '67 El Camino which was originally equipped with a 190hp 283 and a Powerglide. I have located and installed a date-coded 283 which I was told came out of a farm truck (with a manual trans). I have discovered that the existing Rochester 2-barrel carb will not work with my power brake system. I had no idea that there was any difference. Does anyone know what model of 2-barrel I need to look for? Thank you in advance.
Echos Myron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:01 AM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: Rochester 2-barrel problem

What is the issue, no vacuum port, how does the carb tie into the p/b system here?
Old 04-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #3
Scrapper
AF Premium User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echos Myron View Post
Hi, I have a '67 El Camino which was originally equipped with a 190hp 283 and a Powerglide. I have located and installed a date-coded 283 which I was told came out of a farm truck (with a manual trans). I have discovered that the existing Rochester 2-barrel carb will not work with my power brake system. I had no idea that there was any difference. Does anyone know what model of 2-barrel I need to look for? Thank you in advance.
you can call jegs or summit or evan a dealer.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:31 PM   #4
Echos Myron
AF Newbie

I don't know, but my mechanic said I need a "choke stove" if that means anything to anybody.
Echos Myron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #5
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Possibly he means you have a thermal choke on the carb, and the intake manifold is not set up for one. This is unrelated to the bower brakes, though.
If this is the case, its easy enough to adapt a manual choke, though. It's not original but will get it working.
how about some pictures of the carb and intake?
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:
Tony Silva (06-23-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 09:49 PM   #6
Tony Silva
AF Regular

For power brakes, you will need to install a fitting directly into the intake to get the vacuum necessary to operate the brake booster. Connect some hose to the fitting...connect a one-way ball check valve to the end of that hose, then run more hose to the brake booster port. LOOK FOR A PIPE PLUG BEHIND THE CARB ON THE INTAKE MANIFOLD. REMOVE THE PLUG AND INSTALL THE FITTING.

OK, as for the carb choke issue. The choke stove IS the flat coil that operates the choke flap on the carb. In that year...the choke stove IS located under a plate...on the intake manifold...passengers side BELOW the carb...NOT ON THE CARB AS MagicRat posted.....I think there are two 3/8ths bolts holding the plate in place.

I think #1 There is no provisions in the manifold for power brakes due to the farm vehicle not require the extra power...and #2, no need for a choke on a farm vehicle due to the fact that the farmer removed the device BECAUSE......farm land is typically in warm humid territory which doesn't necessitate the gas wasting usefullness of a choke on a carb. Just my opinion. Could be wrong though.
Tony Silva is offline   Reply With Quote