Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 11:48 AM   #1
TurboSW
AF Regular

96 rear drum brakes. Are they easy to replace?

I can replace my fronts with ease, but I'm not sure about tackling the rear drums. I read that you need a special tool to remove the springs and the adjustment gear has me confused a bit. I know it self adjusts as the pads get thinner and the gear turns to keep the pads close to the drum, but how do you know where to adjust them back?

Thanks for the help Guys.
TurboSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 01:43 PM   #2
MDSK440
AF Newbie

Re: 96 rear drum brakes. Are they easy to replace?

There are two slots at the bottom of the back plate. You might have to remove the rubber inserts, then use a screwdriver to adjust the brakes to a slight drag. The rear brakes will also self adjust when backing up and stopping.
MDSK440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 02:35 PM   #3
TurboSW
AF Regular

Re: Re: 96 rear drum brakes. Are they easy to replace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSK440
There are two slots at the bottom of the back plate. You might have to remove the rubber inserts, then use a screwdriver to adjust the brakes to a slight drag. The rear brakes will also self adjust when backing up and stopping.
What do you mean by drag? So does the job require special tools? By backing up and stopping, does that mean I don't have to adjust anything or do I dial it back and then do the back up thing?
TurboSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 11:47 AM   #4
RangerCB29
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to RangerCB29
Re: Re: Re: 96 rear drum brakes. Are they easy to replace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboSW
What do you mean by drag? So does the job require special tools? By backing up and stopping, does that mean I don't have to adjust anything or do I dial it back and then do the back up thing?

the tool u need for the springs u can get at any sears or automotive store, just tell em u want a "brake tool" its like a really goofy pair of pliars, theyll probly be all silver looking. by drag he means, jack the back of the truck up, put somthing in front of the front wheels so i dont roll away. put the truck in nuetral, ull have to turn the key to the on position, not run, but on. then turn the tires, if its toooooo easy to turn the wheels then u need to stick the flathead screwdriver through that little rubber plug on the bottom of the backside of the drum, then turn that until the wheel feels like it has more friction on it, then make sure its not too tight, just barely, ull probly be able to hear them make a scrapping sound, then do the same to the other side, that oughta do it
RangerCB29 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10