Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 02:05 PM   #1
squarethumps
AF Newbie

2006 Sedona Engine Removal

Hello,

I have a 2006 Kia Sedona EX with a bad engine ( 6 cyl ). It seems to sound like it has spun a piston bearing because it runs, but it knocks.

I can not find a book ( Haynes or Chilton ) for this vehicle. If anyone knows where I can get a book for this I would appreciate it.

Does anyone know if it is possible to remove the engine without separating it from the transmission ?

I have the front bumper off and the radiator and the cross member and it almost looks like I would be able to remove the motor mounts, and separate the engine from the transmission and slide it 3 inches toward the passenger side and get it out, but I'd like some confirmation from either the book or an expert before I attempt to do that.

Thanks in advance for your responses !
squarethumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:01 AM   #2
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2006 Sedona Engine Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarethumps View Post
Hello,

I have a 2006 Kia Sedona EX with a bad engine ( 6 cyl ). It seems to sound like it has spun a piston bearing because it runs, but it knocks.

I can not find a book ( Haynes or Chilton ) for this vehicle. If anyone knows where I can get a book for this I would appreciate it.

Does anyone know if it is possible to remove the engine without separating it from the transmission ?

I have the front bumper off and the radiator and the cross member and it almost looks like I would be able to remove the motor mounts, and separate the engine from the transmission and slide it 3 inches toward the passenger side and get it out, but I'd like some confirmation from either the book or an expert before I attempt to do that.

Thanks in advance for your responses !
I haven't tried it on this vehicle but generally you can do this if it won't just move it back and disconnect the transmission. Usually its easier if an automatic to unbolt the transmission and torque converter and just leave them in place. Just use a pry bar and move it back off the guide pins. If it has a clutch remove the transmission and remove to inspect the clutch pressure plate and throw out bearing. If it has a hydraulic clutch you have to re-bleed the slave cylinder.
http://www.amazon.com/ They have some kia manuals For vehicle you have to purchase an Asian edition. Remember to check used as I purchased Volume 1 and 2 for around $25.00

Last edited by rhandwor; 01-13-2014 at 06:28 PM.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:18 PM   #3
squarethumps
AF Newbie

I am sorry, what I meant to say in my first statement but I think I conveyed is that I want to remove the engine and leave the transmission in place. I do NOT want to remove the transmission at all. I'm sorry for that confusion, but I think you understood.

This is an automatic transmission.

I appreciate the advice. I would like to see an actual service repair book though. Does anyone know where I can get one ?? I think that a lot of the service manuals online are scams, as I've bought "service" manuals that ended up being just operator manuals.

I would really like to hear from a Kia mechanic, someone who actually has removed the engine from a 2006 Kia Sedona. All I'm looking for is affirmation and positive confirmation that the engine can be removed without taking out the transmission.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:22 AM   #4
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarethumps View Post
I am sorry, what I meant to say in my first statement but I think I conveyed is that I want to remove the engine and leave the transmission in place. I do NOT want to remove the transmission at all. I'm sorry for that confusion, but I think you understood.

This is an automatic transmission.

I appreciate the advice. I would like to see an actual service repair book though. Does anyone know where I can get one ?? I think that a lot of the service manuals online are scams, as I've bought "service" manuals that ended up being just operator manuals.
Google Kia forums sedona

I would really like to hear from a Kia mechanic, someone who actually has removed the engine from a 2006 Kia Sedona. All I'm looking for is affirmation and positive confirmation that the engine can be removed without taking out the transmission.
On a standard shift you have to pull the bolts holding the transmission in place and slide it back. With an automatic you have to find an opening and unbolt the torque converter from the flex plate and slide it back.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:03 PM   #5
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Remember you have to support the transmission if leaving in the car.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:28 PM   #6
squarethumps
AF Newbie

As is turns out, I was able to remove the engine without removing either the transmission or either of the axle 1/2 shafts.

While supporting the engine, I removed the top motor mount that attached to the engine, and the hold bracket on the firewall side of the motor, of course all the bolts connecting the engine to the transmission, the intake, exhaust at the flanges, and all the lines and connectors, and then it could lift out.

We set the new one in with the intake still attached, but it scraped a little bit on the top going in.

If anyone knows the torque specification for the engine to transmission bolts, that would be very useful and appreciated.

In this case the transmission has a body/frame mount on each side right at the bell housing, so it remained fully supported.

Last edited by squarethumps; 04-06-2014 at 07:30 PM. Reason: oh ya ..
Old 04-07-2014, 02:10 PM   #7
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Transaxle mounting bolts 42 to 62 ft lb 65 to 85NM
transaxle under mounting bolts 33 to 38 ft lb 65 to 85 nm

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > General Discussion