Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 12:24 AM   #211
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Thanked 1,763 Times in 741 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Peloton25
Re: The Official: "There's no such thing as a dumb question about the McLaren F1" thread

It's a drawing done with graphite. The h-9h references the hardness of the artist's pencil that was used.

If asking which F1 the drawing is supposed to emulate or which car may have been used as the 'model' then to my eyes there is not enough detail there to determine that. Dark paint and what is probably a UK plate narrow it down, but no idea of when the drawing was made leaves a number of possibilities.

>8^)
ER
Peloton25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:43 PM   #212
Sami Aaltonen
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Sami Aaltonen
Re: The Official: "There's no such thing as a dumb question about the McLaren F1" thread

I have some questions surprise #01R.

1. Is there anything precise informations about which dates the #01R were tested in Silvestone in total black-silver livery?
There isn't any images seen anywhere of it, but McLaren At Le Mans clips tells that the car were driven there in that livery some point before Le Mans test/pre-qualifying days.
Here a screen shot of that clip.

2 JJ Lehto drove the car when it was black-silver, I believe he drove it in Silvestone which seen that McLaren at Le Mans - video clips. Or was it Silvestone where JJ tested the car?

3 Why it was painted black-silver after presentation silver-orange GTR livery?

If someone has something what could help these ones, I would be appreciative!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2014-02-27-21h48m40s54.jpg (38.5 KB, 24 views)

----
Kuvat.fi -McLaren F1 GTR and many others!

Sami Aaltonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:13 PM   #213
royle
AF Newbie

Hi folks,

I have a quick question for you guys. Is there by any chance a F1 on display somewhere near London in the next couple of weeks? I know this is very optimistic, but since I'm planning a trip there, maybe Christmas comes early for me this year...

Cheers,
royle
royle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 02:42 AM   #214
mcgtr1995
AF Newbie

1.Does anyone know the Mclaren F1 nurburgring time by autocar article?
2.Why were the 2 ducts in the bonnet deleted from F1 GTR in mid 1995?
mcgtr1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:14 AM   #215
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

No figure was ever published for the F1's Nurburgring lap time so anything that has been posted online should be viewed with a significant amount of skepticism. What I recall occurred was that someone used the MPH figures noted at each corner in a graphic from the article to estimate the 7:22 time.

The NACA ducts on the upper nose of the '95 GTRs supplied air cooling for the front brakes. They were rendered obsolete with the change to the lower nose piece that occurred mid-season and re-routed that cool air from down below.

>8^)
ER
The Following User Says Thank You to Peloton25 For This Useful Post:
mcgtr1995 (01-02-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 01:07 PM   #216
Sami Aaltonen
AF Enthusiast

Actually #07R is the only one which has those air intake ducts still present. Because they did 1995 Le Mans steel brakes, and this was the best way to do the cooling issue.
Other car was (hope I remember right!) #05R and BBA did it a bit differently doing holes in to the front bumper.

Here is #07R details about the front.

Images are my own and taken 2015 Goodwood Members Meeting. Still have to say that this #07R was one of those chassis, which I really have been wanted to see....

----

Old 01-02-2016, 07:46 AM   #217
mcgtr1995
AF Newbie

With regard to Mclaren F1 I have a lot of questions here are some more

1.Does 96 spec F1 GTR really perform bettar than 95 spec GTR because I recall that BPR 96 Monza race was won by 95 spec car at the hands of Bscher before upgrading it and he also set fastest lap?

2.Why was BBA Competition laptimes significantly slower than other F1 GTR's in all years?

3.Does F1 really pull 0.86g or it pulls 1.2g as shown in german wiki?

4.Why do ameritech F1 perform lower than European F1?

5.What is the topspeed of F1 GT and what was XP4's Goodwood time?

6.Does F1 LM really produce enough downforce to run upside down at 100mph?

7.Was the 19R at goodwood festival of speed roadlegal?

8.How could mclaren acheive all this in 1990s I still find it hard to believe it was made in that time?

@Sami Aaltonen
If I am correct wasn't 07r used in fifth gear to compare with enzo.

Last edited by mcgtr1995; 01-02-2016 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:05 AM   #218
carbuilder2002
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to carbuilder2002

it was 16R 5th gear used, both cars were owned by the same person, used to frequent this forum quite often at the time.
carbuilder2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:10 PM   #219
Sami Aaltonen
AF Enthusiast

1. Yes it is quicker. Much more racer than 95's car.
7. NO it was not roadlegal when Kenny Brack drove it FOS. It came road legal early 2015.

----

Old 01-03-2016, 09:42 AM   #220
mcgtr1995
AF Newbie

Peleton25,do you think that F1 will really do 7:22 at nurburgring(I only want your opinion),I read about an owner telling that it would only do 7:45 at piston heads today.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:12 PM   #221
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

As someone who has never driven a McLaren F1, nor done a single lap of the Nurburgring (real or virtual), I'm hardly in a position to offer an answer to that one. The owner in question, if it is who I believe it would be, has not only lapped the Nurburgring many times, but also done so in his own McLaren F1 so I wouldn't put much doubt in his estimate. The big limitation for the F1 at the 'Ring is likely the brakes if you're wondering why that time seems a little slow.

As for your other questions-

2 - BBA Competition was a fairly low-budget effort and likely wasn't able to run the car at its maximum potential in order to preserve the car's mechanical bits. Also I don't think they attracted the highest caliber drivers either.

3 - AutoCar magazine is one of the only to have done true instrumented testing of a McLaren F1. I forget what their results were and can't locate the scans online at the moment, but the figure is probably much closer to .86g than 1.2g. The road car's very tall sidewalls are one element that will hamper results on a skid pad.

4 - The example of the Ameritech F1 that Road&Track produced their results with seems to have had some mechanical issues at the time. Reference the text of the article which reported several instances of overheating.

5 - Both unknowns as far as I am aware.

6 - Probably not, but it wouldn't matter anyway as the rest of the car is not designed to run inverted.

8 - Gordon Murray.

>8^)
ER
Old 01-05-2016, 12:32 AM   #222
mcgtr1995
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloton25 View Post
As someone who has never driven a McLaren F1, nor done a single lap of the Nurburgring (real or virtual), I'm hardly in a position to offer an answer to that one. The owner in question, if it is who I believe it would be, has not only lapped the Nurburgring many times, but also done so in his own McLaren F1 so I wouldn't put much doubt in his estimate. The big limitation for the F1 at the 'Ring is likely the brakes if you're wondering why that time seems a little slow.

As for your other questions-

2 - BBA Competition was a fairly low-budget effort and likely wasn't able to run the car at its maximum potential in order to preserve the car's mechanical bits. Also I don't think they attracted the highest caliber drivers either.

3 - AutoCar magazine is one of the only to have done true instrumented testing of a McLaren F1. I forget what their results were and can't locate the scans online at the moment, but the figure is probably much closer to .86g than 1.2g. The road car's very tall sidewalls are one element that will hamper results on a skid pad.

4 - The example of the Ameritech F1 that Road&Track produced their results with seems to have had some mechanical issues at the time. Reference the text of the article which reported several instances of overheating.

5 - Both unknowns as far as I am aware.

6 - Probably not, but it wouldn't matter anyway as the rest of the car is not designed to run inverted.

8 - Gordon Murray.

>8^)
ER
The owner who told about 7:45 lap was flemke,not a pro driver.But even then its nurburgring cornering speeds in the article were significantly faster than CCR,Carrera GT,911 GT3 RS.It even did 120mph at klostertal 2 where many cars only manage 90km/h.
Edit 911 GT3 cornering speeds
http://www.rennteam.com/forum/page1....qmo0dqqv9?vs=0

Hires Autocar article scans can be found in this site http://www.jwhubbers.nl/ring/misc/print.php
(got it after visiting wikipedia laptime page.)

The 1.3g(I don't know about 1.2g source but some people in supercars.net pointed it out in F1 vs Enzo thread) lateral acceleration was given by a person in jalopnik in this review
http://jalopnik.com/327268/mclaren-f1

The 100mph downforce for LM was given in CAR Magazine review,but it is online in motortrend site
http://www.motortrend.com/news/2000-...n-f1-supercar/

Also regarding braking,I find it impressive considering its age it does 70-0mph in 162ft,while enzo does it in 151ft,but R&T braking test was also only 127ft from 60-0mph.

Q.Also how does F1 GTR Short Tail compare to modern GT1 and GT3 cars in terms of lap times?

Last edited by mcgtr1995; 01-05-2016 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Adding some scans
Old 01-06-2016, 09:31 AM   #223
mcgtr1995
AF Newbie

Peleton25
Is this the Autocar scan you are looking for,if you remember the page number of skidpad test please tell me.
http://issuu.com/themagazineshop/doc...976163/5604552
Old 01-11-2016, 09:20 AM   #224
mcgtr1995
AF Newbie

Peleton25
I found autocar road test scans but no skidpad test was mentioned.
link to scans
https://web.archive.org/web/20071114...ecember_F1.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to mcgtr1995 For This Useful Post:
wolowski (01-13-2016)
Old 01-18-2016, 05:44 AM   #225
fselldorff
AF Newbie

Peleton25
Pls email me
-frank
fselldorff is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1