Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 03:51 PM   #1
Durango005
AF Newbie

Hole in A/C tube on 2005 Durango.

Hi, popped my hood tonight to check on my CAI when I heard a hissing noise. I found that the tube running across the engine had been cut open from laying too lose to the belt. There was air rushing out so I rigged it up so that it would stop the hissing. I'm temporarily stopped the air rushing out with some tape and a screw clamp. Can anyone tell me a better way to get this fixed, that's not gonna cost a lot of cash. Dealer wanted $150 for the part.
Thanks
-Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dprob.jpg (98.9 KB, 10 views)
Durango005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:42 PM   #2
HeavyJ
AF Regular

Re: Hole in A/C tube on 2005 Durango.

There are kits to repair these lines, but for the most part they are extensive kits for shop use. You would be better off with a new line, and it probably will not be available aftermarket, but check around. After the line is replaced, you will have to have the system vacuumed and proper amount of R134a put in.
HeavyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:34 AM   #3
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

Re: Hole in A/C tube on 2005 Durango.

Never go to the dealer if you want parts. They mark things up several hundred percent.

Read this article I wrote on cheap parts: http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...nd_cheap_parts

Junkyard, parts wholesaler, online... anywhere but the dealer. There are A/C shops that fabricate their own lines and they could probably do it for cheaper than $150 building one from scratch.

Here's what I suggest. Go to the tool store and buy an A/C and Fuel Line removal tool set. Some are sold as inexpensive plastic pieces that will work fine. I got mine for $7. Head to the junkyard armed with those and a few wrenches. Find the same part on another durango/pickup and remove it. You can practice by taking the one off your truck first so you know what tools you need to take to the junkyard. My guess is that you'll spend $7 on the tools and $15 on the line.

But... before you do that, stop by an A/C shop and have them reclaim the refrigerant. This is for two reasons. First, its insanely wasteful and not very environmentally wise to just vent chemicals to the atmosphere. Second, escaping refrigerant is dangerously cold. It can cause pretty instant frost bite if it hits any part of your body.

Once you've put your line in place, take it back to the A/C shop. Ask them to replace the O-rings since you have a used hose, then to vacuum and recharge.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical